PDA

View Full Version : should I go back to linux?

kashey_be
July 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
hey,
I have been using linux for 2 years, then went to xp because of game support.
recently "downgraded" to vista64, though hell I'll try it and see what happens.
well shi*t happened and now i'm thinking of either trying win7 or putting back linux (since i don't game so much nowdays).
I'll need some software replacement , and ask for your recommendation:

mathtype
java IDE ( eclipse should do i assume )
c++ IDE ( ??? heard eclipse has plugin for cpp support ??? )
oh and someone please recommend some good pdf viewer ( not that crap gnome is provided with - and not okular it sucks)

thanks in advance!

dragos240
July 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
hey,
I have been using linux for 2 years, then went to xp because of game support.
recently "downgraded" to vista64, though hell I'll try it and see what happens.
well shi*t happened and now i'm thinking of either trying win7 or putting back linux (since i don't game so much nowdays).
I'll need some software replacement , and ask for your recommendation:

mathtype
oh and someone please recommend some good pdf viewer ( not that crap gnome is provided with - and not okular it sucks)

thanks in advance!
Please don't say that word here. But it's up to you, you can come back any time you want, we'll welcome you back with open arms.

Bölvağur
July 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM

Eclipse might be an overkill.
Eclipse with plugin for c++ was an overkill for me, try Geany for small and "medium" size projects.
brb

RiceMonster
July 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
hey,
mathtype

Netbeans can handle java (well duh) and C++ as well. I recommend you give it a try. It's pretty nice.

camper365
July 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Most Linux developers don't need an IDE for C++. Most of them just use a text editor and a terminal with g++. However, I have heard of anjuta, which is a c++ ide in the repos.

Tibuda
July 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM

I prefer the "crappy" Evince, but what about Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader? Both have native Linux versions.

Pogeymanz
July 6th, 2009, 09:03 PM
There are plenty of IDE options, which were mentioned already. What were you using in Windows?

And I use ePDFview. It's in the repos. You can always use Adobe Reader also as they do have a Linux version.

Welcome back.

kashey_be
July 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM
thanks all, i guess i'll install 9.04 and just roll with it
checked some stuff on my virtual machine (good old 7.04)
-eclipse is excellent for java
-i tried anjuta, but it's not so great, will try other alternative
-camper365, i coded on vim and gedit before, but it's impossible to debug large scale projects using these, you need more advanced tools.
-still no replacement for mathtype though, a friend recommended "latex", anyone had any experience with it?

rockcrawler
July 6th, 2009, 10:15 PM
-still no replacement for mathtype though, a friend recommended "latex", anyone had any experience with it?

What about OpenOffice's Formula. It comes with the oo that is packaged with Ubuntu. You just need to add it to the menu to access it directly. Seems pretty comparable to me. Though I have not used it extensively.

kashey_be
July 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
it's similar to office math tools.
it can't be compared with mathtype, this tool simply surpasses every other i know.
it would be silly to run wine + office + mathtype on linux..
i'm sure there something as good in linux, but i just haven't found it yet :|

Pogeymanz
July 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
LaTeX is what REAL MEN use.

kashey_be
July 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM
:D okey, i'll check it out
thanks

Daisuke_Aramaki
July 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Just a question mate. If mathtype is extremely important for you, would it be ok to assume you focus a lot in writing reports, or may be in a stage where you are writing your thesis or something like that. Personally, nothing beats Latex in that regard. Sure it requires a bit of getting used to, but I personally cannot imagine doing documentation without Latex. So my question is have you tried Latex?

Idefix82
July 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
it's similar to office math tools.
it can't be compared with mathtype, this tool simply surpasses every other i know.
it would be silly to run wine + office + mathtype on linux..
i'm sure there something as good in linux, but i just haven't found it yet :|

If you are prepared to learn something new then go for LaTeX. It's actually the only piece of technology that can be taken seriously when you want to typeset more than five pages of formulae (believe me, I know what I am talking about). Even for less than that, it's by far the best solution. There are several very good Latex editors/addons under Linux, the most popular being Vim with Latex plugin, EMacs with Latex plugin, GEdit with Latex plugin, Kile under KDE, Texmaker,... there are many others.

Edit: I see lots of people have beaten me to it :)

Daisuke_Aramaki
July 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM
i would also suggest TeXmacs. Its a little easy to get used to LateX when you are a beginner. Once you are used to it, you can use emacs, or like me vim with the latex plugin!

Tibuda
July 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM
LaTeX is used for scientific papers, perfect to create high-quality math formulas, but you need to learn the syntax. Here are some reference:

http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf (PDF)
http://web.reed.edu/cis/help/latex/
http://www.andy-roberts.net/misc/latex/index.html

To install it on Ubuntu, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LaTeX#TeX%20Live. There are some frontends for LaTeX, like Kile or LyX, but you can use any text editor.

kashey_be
July 6th, 2009, 10:31 PM
ok this is exactly what i need.
does it have direct plugin to work with OO?

Daisuke_Aramaki
July 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
ok this is exactly what i need.
does it have direct pluging to work with OO?

There is oolatex, a set of macros that can be used in OO as well. But when you use Latex for typesetting, OO can be completely forgotten!

kashey_be
July 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies!
This is exactly the reason I like linux - excellent community.
At these moments 9.04 is being downloaded :D

skintythe1andonly
July 6th, 2009, 10:44 PM
if you want to to do proper scientific writting, you should invest in Latex. It is relatively easy and does provide the best looking equations by far