PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reasons to install this! =)

bchan009
July 6th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hey guys,

Been thinking of installing Ubuntu for a while now, but seeing as how I'm going to have to sit down and spend a fair bit of time setting my Macbook Pro to triple boot, I was just wondering if there were any really good reasons for me to be using Linux.

I'm an animation student, so my trade requires me to run OSX. I'm a gamer, so I also run Windows. What should I be using Ubuntu for?

Also, does Xubuntu take up less hard drive space? Is it as user-friendly as normal Ubuntu? If so, I'll go with that one because HD space on my laptop is a precious commodity. :KS

Simian Man
July 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM
If OSX and Windows are working well for you, I honestly wouldn't bother installing Linux on your laptop. Instead I'd setup Linux in a virtual machine like VirtualBox. You will have almost all of the benefits of running a Linux system without having to further partition your hard drive.

As for why you should be running Linux, you will just have to try it out and see for yourself. If you enjoy computers, chances are you will love it :).

heyyy
July 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
well i run linux because it's fast,stable,secure and free(on most occations at least)

swoll1980
July 6th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Hey guys,

Been thinking of installing Ubuntu for a while now, but seeing as how I'm going to have to sit down and spend a fair bit of time setting my Macbook Pro to triple boot, I was just wondering if there were any really good reasons for me to be using Linux.

I'm an animation student, so my trade requires me to run OSX. I'm a gamer, so I also run Windows. What should I be using Ubuntu for?

Also, does Xubuntu take up less hard drive space? Is it as user-friendly as normal Ubuntu? If so, I'll go with that one because HD space on my laptop is a precious commodity. :KS

I like Linux operating systems because they're extremely modular. You can change every piece of them, until you get things the way you want them. It's like the difference between buying a house, or building your own. There's so many things to chose from. You could spend hours just finding the right file manager, or window manager, or whatever.

mkendall
July 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM
My latest reason for using Ubuntu: wireless connectivity. "The internet is down again," someone will yell. "It must be that Vista piece of crap you use, because I'm not having any problems," I'll yell back.

Eisenwinter
July 6th, 2009, 06:49 PM
If you need other people to tell you reasons to install an operating system, then don't install it.

RiceMonster
July 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
If you need other people to tell you reasons to install an operating system, then don't install it.

Agreed. Just try it out yourself with a livecd and see what you think. If you like it, go for it, if you don't, then don't bother.

binbash
July 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hey guys,

You can play games on Windows, and do other video, animation etc stuff on OSx like me, i do use linux for browsing the web, payments, and managing my servers etc.

ugm6hr
July 6th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Are there any features OSX and Windows don't offer?

If not, a triple-boot seems a bit much, especially if you are low on HD space.

Most people use Ubuntu / Linux for its: freedom, choice, adaptability, cheap (free).

bchan009
July 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I've always wanted to mess around with Linux, because I'm a bit of a tweaker and know my way around a computer.

I wasn't so much asking for REASONS to install it. I was more asking fun things I could actually DO with it. ;)

Thanks for the constructive replies guys! =)

hessiess
July 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
practically unlimited customisability.
(almost) everything is open source.
Becouse of the above its the only OS with decent 64 bit support.

bakedbeans4life
July 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I've always wanted to mess around with Linux, because I'm a bit of a tweaker and know my way around a computer.

I wasn't so much asking for REASONS to install it. I was more asking fun things I could actually DO with it. ;)

Thanks for the constructive replies guys! =)

You have answered your own question in your first paragraph. As to your second paragraph, the world is your oyster. The potential of Linux is your own imagination, just read the many faqs available. The choice is yours.

Sealbhach
July 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
For me, I find Ubuntu fun to use, experimenting with different themes, different window managers, installing all the free software and trying them out, the challenge of getting Windows games to run under Wine, the opportunity to learn more about the linux kernel, the command line... because it's all open, you can go in as deep as you wish. I could read every line of the source code for the Linux kernel if I wanted to (not that it would mean anything to me ;))... you don't get that with proprietary systems.