PDA

View Full Version : Watch Collectors

KegHead
July 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hi!

Are there any watch collectors out there?

KegHead

chriskin
July 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM
excuse my question that sounds a bit rude (even though i Don't intend it as a rude one) but why would one collect watches?

KegHead
July 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your question.

Collecting watches is like any hobby.

I actually create watches from scratch using only swiss mechanical movements.

I also own 5 watches, one being an Omega chronometer.

My Omega is extremely accurate--within in 4-6 seconds a day.

KegHead

chriskin
July 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
i have a problem with time, i want to be completely oblivious to its changes, other than alarms ringing when i have to go somewhere (or to be more precise, exaile starting to play) or watching the sun on the sky

watches sure are nice though, inside at least.

ohbuntu
July 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I'm an amateur horologist and have 3 good watches in my collection (Omega SMP, Sinn U2 and a TAG Carrera) along with a Movado Museum and a couple of Seikos and G-shocks amongst others. These days I'm sporting the Sinn. Like most cheap, poor and penniless collectors, I can only dream about owning a Rolex right now.

Keghead, are you a member over on the WatchUSeek forums? There are tons of like-minded horologists on there and with the hundreds of daily topics and posts, there's a lot of opportunity to learn about watches from lesser known manufacturers that you might not have considered in the first place. I barely knew the difference between two different movements until a couple of years ago but can gladly say that I know now, thanks to such forums.

excuse my question that sounds a bit rude (even though i Don't intend it as a rude one) but why would one collect watches?
For the same reason why anyone would collect stamps, coins, cell phones, purses, guns or even postcards.

KegHead
July 6th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hi OhBuntu,

Yes I scan the watch making forums.

I took the level one class, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.

My dream watch is a Patek.

KegHead