PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics warning on upgrade to 9.04?

JimBuntu
July 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Why is it that I get this warning talking about my graphics driver for the ATI graphics card in my laptop when trying to upgrade Ubuntu? The driver is "ATI/AMD Proprietary FGLRX graphics driver". The warning says there is no version of this driver available for my hardware in Ubu 9.04 and that my screen resolution will be decreased. I'm running 8.10 and don't want to be stuck here... any suggestions?

gradinaruvasile
July 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
First of all what vid card model do u have?
type in a terminal:

lspci | grep VGA

and post the output of it.

JimBuntu
July 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)

Mark Phelps
July 7th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Why is it that I get this warning talking about my graphics driver for the ATI graphics card in my laptop when trying to upgrade Ubuntu?

It's telling you that to prevent you from forcing the installation of a restricted driver that will then render your video useless.

AMD/ATI dropped support for the older chipsets in their new drivers, including your chipset. Thus, there really are NO restricted drivers available for your chipset that will run under 9.04.

JimBuntu
July 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
So, is that it? No more upgrading Ubuntu? Why can't I just use the same driver with 9.04 and beyond?

Mark Phelps
July 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
So, is that it? No more upgrading Ubuntu? Why can't I just use the same driver with 9.04 and beyond?

Because the old drivers (the ones that work with the unsupported cards) are incompatible with the newer version of the XWindows server contained in Ubuntu 9.04.

This basically means that if you want hardware accelerated drivers, you have to stay with 8.10 -- where the old drivers and Xorg version are compatible.