PDA

View Full Version : USB 3 to connect computers?

HavocXphere
July 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
USB 3 supports a raw throughput of 500 MByte/s (source wiki) and USB can in principle be used to connect computers (like this http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248).

Does this mean that USB will allow for networking at much higher speeds than anything else out there? (Ignoring the limitations on cable length and fibre optics)

Or am I missing something?

[Mods: Please move thread as deemed necessary]

Johnsie
July 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Probably depends on the cost of the cables. Might be suitable for home networking, but the costs of recabling medium/large businesses would probably be too expensive to make it worthwhile. Then there is also the cost of replacing switches, routers etc.

3rdalbum
July 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm sure that someone will come out with a device that lets you use USB 3 to connect two computers together.

Can an ordinary desktop PC's hard disk fill a 1000 Base-T Ethernet pipe? Gigabit Ethernet surely would come standard on any PC that comes with USB 3.

SunnyRabbiera
July 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Well whatever the case if you are worried about USB3 compatibility in linux apparently USB3 support was availible for linux first!
I dont think even win7 will have it right away

lisati
July 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm sure that someone will come out with a device that lets you use USB 3 to connect two computers together.

It wouldn't surprise me: similar has been done before with older USB standards. I have such a device gathering dust somewhere (forget which version USB) which, with suitable drivers, can be used as a basic network.

HavocXphere
July 6th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Can an ordinary desktop PC's hard disk fill a 1000 Base-T Ethernet pipe?
Probably not. Maybe SSDs can though.

Fastest speed I recall seeing is 45 mb/s which is +- what the disks could do in the PCs.