PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very odd problem. My wifi not finding any networks, when it used to. Please read.

iamcims
July 6th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I am really confused by how this is even possible. It's really strange.

A few days ago I formatted and installed Ubuntu 9.04. I was connected to my LAN, I did the updates and then rebooted. I checked to see if my wifi was working and it was finding a lot of networks, some that I didn't even see on windows. It was working well. A friend talked me into using fedora so I installed that (Clean format) Fedora out of the box worked with my wifi with no issues. After using Fedora, I decided that Ubuntu is better for me and had less issues from the start out of the box. So I did another format and installed Ubuntu, just like the first time. Everything was fine, my wifi worked after system update. But this time I kept getting prompted for a password every bootup for a network keyring. I did many searches and got a lot of answers that didn't really fix my problem, I found it odd that it didn't do this for me the first time around. Since it was a new install anyway..

I formatted again lol. But this time around my wifi is not working! Nothing is showing up for wireless networks. I just don't understand how it would be possible to get a different result from a fresh format, when everything else is the same. I tried pressing my wifi button, etc. I even was so confused I formatted again, no luck. Nothing has changed. I installed ubuntu, ran updates with my lan like before and rebooted. The networks should pop up after that but not anymore.

What would make my wifi all of a sudden not work besides a hardware failure?

It's been awhile since I have used ubuntu, I can provide you with any information you need if you give me the commands. I'm just stumped as to how this is possible.

peterkim04
July 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Sorry to jump on your wagon like this but I had, and still have a similar problem. I have a Vaio NR10 with Ubuntu 8.10. When I had the Vista, the wireless was working ok, and the first ubuntu I had was 8.04 and it was finding lots of networks without having to configure anything. I upgraded to 8.10, still no problem working fine as before. But I had to format and install the ubuntu again after a problem, now the wireless isn't finding any networks. Even in places with wifi network, and i know that it is there because i used to use it but no detection. I have read some threads that I might have to find the networks physically, and having to set the network unsecure to set up properly, is that right? Would it help if I go up to 9.04? Many thanks!

iamcims
July 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Sorry to jump on your wagon like this but I had, and still have a similar problem. I have a Vaio NR10 with Ubuntu 8.10. When I had the Vista, the wireless was working ok, and the first ubuntu I had was 8.04 and it was finding lots of networks without having to configure anything. I upgraded to 8.10, still no problem working fine as before. But I had to format and install the ubuntu again after a problem, now the wireless isn't finding any networks. Even in places with wifi network, and i know that it is there because i used to use it but no detection. I have read some threads that I might have to find the networks physically, and having to set the network unsecure to set up properly, is that right? Would it help if I go up to 9.04? Many thanks!

Yeah, what would make it be different when ALL of the variables are the same?

If I were you, since you just reformatted again why not just install 9.04 anyway, maybe you'll be lucky, if not, at least you have the newest version available.

diablo75
July 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Do you happen to know what wireless adapter (chipset) you have? You might find it by running "lspci" in a terminal. Paste the output of that command back in here. Also, what is the model number of your system?

iamcims
July 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Do you happen to know what wireless adapter (chipset) you have? You might find it by running "lspci" in a terminal. Paste the output of that command back in here. Also, what is the model number of your system?

Compaq Presario c700

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

iamcims
July 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
SOLVED?

Well, after basically giving up on it for tonight. My battery was down to 8% and I turned off the machine. I go to my bedroom and plug it in the wall, decide to turn it on. Magically.. my wifi is now working like before. I did not do anything but post this thread on the forum and restart 5+ times or so (with my LAN plugged in/out, etc) I did try the other drivers in the hardware profile but that one made it so my wireless didn't even exist, then I deactivated it to go back to the old one, rebooted, no luck still. It also can't be the location, I live in a small apartment and before I was right next to the router where it worked fine before. Odd huh?

I rebooted a few times before so I'm not sure why it works now. I don't want to mark this thread as solved just yet just because it's still a question as to how this can happen. I did not install/update anything since the problem started. If no one knows why, I'll just mark it as solved to end it I suppose.

Who knows :-k

peterkim04
July 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Solved?

Well, yes. I didn't really want to upgrade to 9.04, just waiting for the next one not because I loved 8.10 so much. I did to see if this problem will solve itself, and yes it did. As soon as it was upgraded (surprisingly maintaining a lot of settings from the previous version), flick the wi-fi switch and it's finding so many that it was stupid. Still having a little problem with wi-fi when using the battery power, but overall, it is solved. Thanks to everyone who suggested everything.