PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java On Ubuntu Questions!

ffcfoo
July 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hi, I was just following this tutorial: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-ubuntu-linux-install-configure-jdk-jre/

I had a question:

1. The part I completly do not get is "Setup the environment variable" I do not no what to do or how to do it? That is the only thing I am having trouble on!

darolu
July 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Try the easy way and just install with Synaptic. I think the ubuntu-restricted-extras package has it; but I'm not completely sure, try it (sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras) if it doesn't have it install java6-runtime with "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre" or look for it on Synaptic and should work.

Ubuntu by default, doesn't create a .bash_profile file; so if you want to do that you will have to edit the /etc/profile file adding the two lines the tutorial say; if you don't have vi or vim you can use gedit or nano.

ffcfoo
July 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Try the easy way and just install with Synaptic. I think the ubuntu-restricted-extras package has it; but I'm not completely sure, try it (sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras) if it doesn't have it install java6-runtime with "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre" or look for it on Synaptic and should work.

Ubuntu by default, doesn't create a .bash_profile file; so if you want to do that you will have to edit the /etc/profile file adding the two lines the tutorial say; if you don't have vi or vim you can use gedit or nano.

I did. I installed Java Runtime by typing: "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre" In termenal and it gave me this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
sun-java6-jre is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 151 not upgraded.

EDIT: I already installed all the stuff in syntimatic.

darolu
July 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah that means you already have installed Java runtime; did you try:

sudo nano /etc/profile
or

gksudo gedit /etc/profile

to add the lines that website mentioned?

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

According to that tutorial by doing this you should be ready to write and compile java.

ffcfoo
July 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah that means you already have installed Java runtime; did you try:

sudo nano /etc/profileor

gksudo gedit /etc/profileto add the lines that website mentioned?

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/binAccording to that tutorial by doing this you should be ready to write and compile java.

Where do I add the lines at? Like where in the /etc/profile do I edit?

darolu
July 6th, 2009, 09:14 PM
The safest place would be at the very end.

But I'm not sure doing all the tutorial say is necessary, first it seems the tutorial is for "Ubuntu Linux 7.10", so if you are using a different version it is possible the instructions are no longer needed; also seems to be aimed for people who have more than one java re, like sun-java, openjdk or the default-jre, etc.

Have you tried to use, write and compile a Java app and see if it is giving you any problem?