PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] BootParameters Help?

Marrkle
July 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Okay, so I downloaded 8.04 and am trying to install it. I press F12 and choose CD-ROM, go in, but it just won't boot. I tried removing the quiet splash--, but it still does not work. I try adding noapic nolapic, acpi=off, irqpoll and lapic pci=routeirq but nothing works. the computer just hangs there.

Is it something wrong with my commands? it might be the space between initrd/gz and my command (I added a space to make it look like the quiet splash-- argument)

I am running Ubuntu 7.10. Also there's nothing wrong with the CD as far as i can tell.

sadaruwan12
July 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Okay, so I downloaded 8.04 and am trying to install it. I press F12 and choose CD-ROM, go in, but it just won't boot. I tried removing the quiet splash--, but it still does not work. I try adding noapic nolapic, acpi=off, irqpoll and lapic pci=routeirq but nothing works. the computer just hangs there.

Is it something wrong with my commands? it might be the space between initrd/gz and my command (I added a space to make it look like the quiet splash-- argument)

I am running Ubuntu 7.10. Also there's nothing wrong with the CD as far as i can tell.

Well you don't have to do any thing the ubuntu will go in to it's boot menu when you select your first boot device as your cd-rom from the BIOS setup not from the F12 boot device selection menu and once you're in the menu you can just go ahead and install 8.04 or use the first option in the menu to check the version and from there to install the system afterward.

Heres a tutorial for you on 8.04LTS installtion follow this : http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-8.04-lts-hardy-heron

Marrkle
July 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Well you don't have to do any thing the ubuntu will go in to it's boot menu when you select your first boot device as your cd-rom from the BIOS setup not from the F12 boot device selection menu and once you're in the menu you can just go ahead and install 8.04 or use the first option in the menu to check the version and from there to install the system afterward.

Heres a tutorial for you on 8.04LTS installtion follow this : http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-8.04-lts-hardy-heron

how do i configure the BIOS setup to autorun from CDROM first?

sadaruwan12
July 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Like to know what kind of a system you have is it a laptop, desktop or a netbook. Could you pleas post all of your system configurations so I can get idea about what you have.

Marrkle
July 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Like to know what kind of a system you have is it a laptop, desktop or a netbook. Could you pleas post all of your system configurations so I can get idea about what you have.

Laptop
1GB memory
40 GB hard disk space

others i am not sure

sadaruwan12
July 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
OK, Like to know the makers name as well. Any way in most laptops to get in to the BIOS the key is F2 in some it's dell try both tell me if your where able to get in to the bios.

Mulenmar
July 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Brand? Model? It should say somewhere prominently on the laptop.

Also, does a prompt that just says, "boot>" or something similar show up instead of the familar Ubuntu Install menu? I've had that happen, and I just pressed Enter without inputting anything, and the usual menu came up.

EDIT: It's also possible something went wrong when burning the CD -- if nothing else works, try reburning to a new disc, in DAO (Disc at Once) mode at the lowest speed your buring program/drive support.

Marrkle
July 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Brand? Model? It should say somewhere prominently on the laptop.

Also, does a prompt that just says, "boot>" or something similar show up instead of the familar Ubuntu Install menu? I've had that happen, and I just pressed Enter without inputting anything, and the usual menu came up.

Acer Aspire 1710, and the ubuntu install menu looks perfectly normal. It's just that when I select an option the computer just stones there not responding.

sadaruwan12
July 6th, 2009, 08:20 AM
OK bro try this check your CD for errors from the Ubuntu menu see if it gives any suggestions.

Marrkle
July 6th, 2009, 08:24 AM
OK bro try this check your CD for errors from the Ubuntu menu see if it gives any suggestions.

I can't do anything from the Ubuntu menu! It hangs no matter what option I select.

lisati
July 6th, 2009, 08:29 AM
<aside>Link to other thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205405 </aside>