PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Radeon HD 4850 on Ubuntu 9.04

WoodbineG
July 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Whats shaking bros?

This is my second shot at Ubuntu, about a year ago I tried to install Ubuntu 7.10 and ran into some issues in other words complete failure :cry:. This weekend my uncle had some issues with his XP based laptop which I fixed by installing Ubuntu 9.04 (kudos for me) and so I re-fell in love with Ubuntu and now I want Ubuntu Studio 9.04 on my PC. I'm originally a gamer and my PC has an HD4850, I've heard of people having issues with drivers and stuff and I want to get an answer on whether can I run Ubuntu 9.04 with my HD4850 or not.

Help a bro out please and thanks for your time! :p

X-BANE
July 6th, 2009, 06:17 AM
You should be able to, but ATI's Linux drivers are notoriously bad.

WoodbineG
July 6th, 2009, 06:47 AM
You should be able to, but ATI's Linux drivers are notoriously bad.

Okay so what drivers should I use?

X-BANE
July 6th, 2009, 07:07 AM
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-9-6-x86.x86_64.run

WoodbineG
July 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-9-6-x86.x86_64.run

And how am I supposed to open that?

WoodbineG
July 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Bump!

automaton26
July 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I'm using this card with no problems at all - there's a pdf available from ATI which describes how to install & uninstall once you have downloaded the .run file:

To install the driver package (use the latest N-NN version):

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-8-x86.x86_64.run
sudo aticonfig --initial

To run the ATI Catalyst Control Center (ccc):

amdcccle

To uninstall the driver package:

cd /usr/share/ati
sudo sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh

Please bear in mind that a lot of older cards were no longer supported after version 9.3, so you might need to either try that version instead (only under Ubuntu 8.10) or wait & hope that later versions of Ubuntu have default Open Source drivers that provide decent 3D acceleration.

lunarmelody
July 7th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'm using this card with no problems at all - there's a pdf available from ATI which describes how to install & uninstall once you have the .run file:

To install the driver package:

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-6-x86.x86_64.run
sudo aticonfig --initial

To uninstall the driver package:

cd /usr/share/ati
sudo sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh

Thanks for the instructions. I've got the drivers running with my ATI HD4670, which is good. However, once they're installed, how do you configure the display? By this I mean, how do you change the screen resolution? The drivers auto-set way too low, and using the built-in settings (System -> Preferences -> Display) doesn't work. If I change the settings in this box, I'm told to log out and log back in again, only nothing has been changed. Am I missing something? Thanks!

[EDIT] I found the ATI Catalyst Control Center, so I can fix all of that now.

ThinkMud
July 9th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I had the same issues with the system>prefs.>dislplay not working at first too. what I did to fix this was go through the ATI's "unofficial wikki" here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Jaunty_Installation_Guide and then rebooted and everything seemed to work good. I have dual monitors one that is a 24" wide screen 1900x1200 and one that is a dell 1600x1200 and I have both working now.

only down side is that I am still not getting half of the graphic quality out of this card (ati radeon hd 4850), but hopefully I can tweak that later once I learn more about it all.

Good luck!

WoodbineG
July 10th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out, I got the drivers installed and my PC runs beautifully flawlessly.

Thanks for your time guys! highly appreciated ):P