PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Maximized windows are «jumping» when wider than screen

Sukhinov
July 6th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I have screen resolution 800×480. The problem is that some resizable windows in Ubuntu have minimal width more that 800 pixels (the window cannot be resized less than its minimal specified width).

So, when I press rectangle button at top-right window corner to «maximize» such a window to full screen, this window become bogus, because screen size is less than minimal window width. The window becomes «maximized», but its width is more than screen. Mouse clicks inside the window area do not affect the window controls. Instead the window «jumping» showing left part of the window than right part of the window and so on.

This problem is rather serious, because most of the «large» windows are maximized by default, making UI unusible on low resolution screens (such as 800×600 and 640×480).

How to fix this jumping? I can't even close such a window by the cross button at the upper-right corner.

P.S. It's a pity that Linux UI designers never think about poor users who have 800×600 and 640×480 screens, making windows layouts which cannot fit into such screens. For example, on Windows OS I have never had problems with low resolution.