PDA

View Full Version : No iTunes on Ubuntu... What Is The Best Replacement?

ADyingSoul
July 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Any suggestions?

juancarlospaco
July 6th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I use Ubuntu, and i installed iTunes :)

ADyingSoul
July 6th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I use Ubuntu, and i installed iTunes :)

How? I couldn't get it to work using Wine and I've heard from several people that it's impossible... :(

Jesus_Valdez
July 6th, 2009, 04:30 AM
If you are triyng to sync an iPod, I'm not sure, but Amarok its a great music player.

Excedio
July 6th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Songbird (http://www.getsongbird.com/)

Cam42
July 6th, 2009, 04:52 AM
songbird (http://www.getsongbird.com/)

+1

arcdrag
July 6th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Amarok, Banshee and Songbird all are pretty good choices for music players...although I've not tried syncing with any of them.

unoodles
July 6th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Banshee (http://banshee-project.org/)

Ocxic
July 6th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Virtualbox + WinXP + iTunes best way to go. and runs very smooth.

SunnyRabbiera
July 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM
For a good all around MP3 player I say Banshee is a good alternative, and as for ipods gtkpod can handle most of them.

murderslastcrow
July 6th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I use Banshee. It has last.fm support, album art, etc. just like Songbird, and runs quite a bit quicker, too. Oh, and it blends perfectly with your GTK theme, unlike Songbird which needs a skin to mimic GTK, which looks a bit less appealing there. No wobbles without it! XD

But I do like Songbird, it has some useful features. Banshee is just as usable, and a bit faster. And built-into the notifications daemon. So if you don't need to look exactly like iTunes, want a quicker organization, Banshee is great. Great at managing your library, even gives you suggestions on other artists, like the Genius feature in iTunes 8.

sdlynx
July 6th, 2009, 05:47 AM
For a good all around MP3 player I say Banshee is a good alternative, and as for ipods gtkpod can handle most of them.

+1 for gtkpod

Cthulhu_Dreams
July 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Does MediaMonkey work for Linux? I use to use it on Windows and found it to be far superior to anything else that was out there...Itunes included...

SunnyRabbiera
July 6th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Does MediaMonkey work for Linux? I use to use it on Windows and found it to be far superior to anything else that was out there...Itunes included...

Well it can in wine possibly.
I am unsure, wine is up and down.

Grant A.
July 6th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Rhythmbox, Banshee, or Helix.

Mulenmar
July 6th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Depends on what part of iTunes you want, I guess. If you just want to put music on your iPod, everyone elses' answers will work -- although I give a -1 to Banshee for a reason I'll state at the bottom of this post.

If you want to find music online, you might find something on Jamendo or something similar. Rhythmbox comes with a link for that, and some else similar whose name escapes me at the moment.

As for why I -1 Banshee...in a nutshell, it incorporates something called Mono, with a) Has a very creepy name and b) although, as I understand, it started completely opensource and such, it now also worked on by Microsoft. Some people are worried that Microsoft may eventually make their part of the code proprietary or something. Someone else might know more about it -- like my friend Scroogle.org.

(The real reason I, personally, don't use Banshee is more along the lines of it reminding me too much of Windows Media Player. I prefer Rhythmbox + gtkpod)

swoll1980
July 6th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I'm surprised only one person said Rhythmbox. It's is the default on Ubuntu, and it's the best. No need to install 800 dependencies just to listen to some music, and sync an iPod.

Piccy
July 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I'm surprised only one person said Rhythmbox. It's is the default on Ubuntu, and it's the best. No need to install 800 dependencies just to listen to some music, and sync an iPod.

Agreed +1

doorknob60
July 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Exaile for music playing. Not sure how good its iPod support is though since I don't have an iPod, but Exaile is my favorite app for playing music. Also gtkpod works good for iPod transferring, at least on my parents' iPod Video. Rhythmbox (the default) is pretty good too, but Exaile is my preffered player.