PDA

View Full Version : What is the best messenger client these days?

OMJD
July 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Hi guys,

I haven't been using Ubuntu for awhile, and I've just gone back to it. In your opinion, what is the best messenger client for Linux these days? (with MSN support) I know it's rather subjective, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

At the moment, I am using Pidgin, but it's still a big downgrade from the normal client for Windows imo.

Cheers

Arup
July 6th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Pidgin does its job quite well but if you want MSN with its bells and whistles, try aMSN which has cam support as well.

Sef
July 6th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Best msn clones are amsn and emesene. The former supports web cams. Both are in add/remove. Applications > Add/Remove > Show: All available applications > Search: amsn (or emesene) > apply changes > apply > close

SunnyRabbiera
July 6th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Yeh aMSN is supposed to be really good for the MSN client.
Kopete is worth a shot too.

yang925
July 6th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I use Kopete witch is amazing. But its KDE. Pidgen is nice.

juancarlospaco
July 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Emesene 1.5

murderslastcrow
July 6th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Pidgin is great, but it looks like Karmic will have one called empathy. I've heard it's pretty similar, just that it has a VOIP capability added on.

Webcam chat is available with aMSN if an MSN clone is what you're looking for, as well as some interesting extensions/skins. However, if you want an all-around IM that's high quality and has a lot of added features, or something simple and sweet, Pidgin is certainly the best option.

However, if you absolutely NEED MSN webcam + voice chats, it's only possible with MSN Messenger right now.

However, if you use wine and winetricks, it's very easy to set up Windows Live Messenger 8.5, and it works great for webcam and voice. And it's nice to have wobbly WLM.

Here's a tutorial for doing so. http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/microsoft/msn-messenger-2008-and-2009-on-linux-with-wine.html

I don't advocate using Wine at all if there's an alternative, but if you NEED video-calls, that's the only way. If you don't care, just wanna' chat with all of your accounts simultaneously (even myspace and facebook) in the same app, just use Pidgin.

P.S. If you do use WLM, you need to change the userpics to small size to see them correctly at this point. That's all.

binbash
July 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Amsn because it supports webcam.It is using crap TCL TK but that will be fixed at amsn2 ;)

keiichidono
July 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hi guys,

I haven't been using Ubuntu for awhile, and I've just gone back to it. In your opinion, what is the best messenger client for Linux these days? (with MSN support) I know it's rather subjective, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

At the moment, I am using Pidgin, but it's still a big downgrade from the normal client for Windows imo.

Cheers

Nobody mentions Empathy?