PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about partitions

Zach.Town
July 6th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Okay, So I have a 200 gig HD.

What if I were to install ubuntu to a very small partition, like the minimal amount to fit ubuuntu on. And do the same with Windows XP/Vista/7. And then with the rest of the unpartitioned space I installed my games (To a folder for organization reasons) and then did the same for all the files I would be using on Ubuntu (Music moves etc. pretty much everything)

In short, what if I were to do all installing from BOTH operating systems to one partition and keep the operating systems and just the operating systems to there respective partitions.

sailthesea
July 6th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I'm not sure I follow you but you can really only have 4 partitions to a HD
and if you have all those OS you mentioned and large game programs space will quickly become an issue There may be workaround with a virtual disc in a larger partition but it would be a compromise
Anyone else?

presence1960
July 6th, 2009, 03:33 AM
In short, what if I were to do all installing from BOTH operating systems to one partition and keep the operating systems and just the operating systems to there respective partitions.

Unfortunately, if I read you correctly, that is not possible. Ubuntu can not install programs on a NTFS/FAT partition and windows can not use a linux partition. So you can not share partitions/folders for install of programs between the two OS's. I believe you are going on the premise of in Windows it is possible to install programs on a partition other than C: drive. Whatever you know about windows you can basically forget about it when it comes to Linux...sorry.

P.S. you can make a shared partition for data though!