PDA

View Full Version : Refusing to be people's free tech support

stwschool
July 6th, 2009, 02:08 AM
So here's my story. I'm a computer nerd, like most of us here I suspect. I work in a school. I have the same teaching load as other teachers, but in order to keep the school functioning I tend to do extra stuff like making sure our computers work etc. So my hours are probably 1.5x other teachers workloads.

Now the thing is, every little problem, people would come to me. It's nice to be wanted, but it eventually gets very draining. I never got a lunch break, cos I'd have a queue of at least 5 people wanting help with something. Anyway, two weeks ago something happened which was enlightening. I was poking around a knackered computer and of course, being a Windows machine, it was riddled with crap. Now I know what the user does, and linux would be perfect for them, as it covers all the bases. So I suggested it as a solution, and the response was "no I'll just take it to the repair shop instead". Now that probably sounds quite insignificant, but it put a lightbulb above my head.

I realised that this teacher was not asking me for technical support out of respect for my opinion or my abilities, but because I was free (as in beer), and the computer shop was not. It then struck me that that was the case in school in general. It also began to occur to me that I was helping people to make the wrong decisions by shielding them from the true consequences of their IT choices, as after all they never had to pay for fixes.

So the solution? I have now quit IT support in school, except for the users I've installed Linux for as I have a responsibility to those, having given them something unusual. To say that the freedom has been wonderful is an understatement. I'm getting free time at lunch, I'm getting more time to do my own work, and it feels like I have a life again. So no more free technical support. I'm not the IT shop!

So, the question, has anyone else here gone down this road?

gn2
July 6th, 2009, 02:19 AM

No, because instead I chose to start charging for my time.
The requests for help reduced significantly, almost to a complete stop.

Gizenshya
July 6th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Very interesting...

I do work for family and close friends. For everyone else, I usually let on like I either never knew anything about computers, or that I haven't worked on them in so long I've forgotten everything.

However, I don't think I've ever been in quite the situation that you're talking about. The trickiest thing I've come across is deciphering which women actually want computer help, and which are using it as a way to get me in bed :p

gn2
July 6th, 2009, 02:22 AM
The trickiest thing I've come across is deciphering which women actually want computer help, and which are using it as a way to get me in bed :p

Two revenue streams, sorted. ;)

chessnerd
July 6th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I have yet to deny anyone my tech services, but that's because I'm only getting about 2 requests a week mainly from family. I also have yet to suggest to any of them that they should install Linux because all of the problems seem pretty minor. And, because they see Linux as some kind of bizarre super-computer-nerd thingy that let's them use the Internet when the other desktop is taken, I don't think I'll be sending them on a train away from Washington anytime soon. However, I understand your frustration. If I was swamped with requests to do anything all the time "pro bono publico" I would get sick of it pretty quick.
My high school teacher had a similar problem, but because our high school also had a tech team his work load was only serious I-need-this-fixed-right-now problems not I-need-a-tune-up-please problems.

kerry_s
July 6th, 2009, 02:27 AM
:lolflag: you know there will be someone else that takes your place.

i help friends & family all the time, i'm the "go to guy" & yes i do it for free.

i also use to help the "work" systems, but stopped that long ago, same as you they'ed call because i didn't charge & i would come to them so they wouldn't have to disconnect nothing & lug the stuff somewhere.

i don't really do to many windows computers to much now a days, most are mac & linux, the mac's seem to get the most problems now, i pretty much have already started turning mac's away & only doing the linux systems, cause thats pretty much what i know the best.

sunexplodes
July 6th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Yeah, I only do this kind of work for family and friends, and unless they have an interesting project (like a friend who wanted my help building a digital projector), I tend to charge a few beers or a good meal in exchange for my time, which I think is more than fair.

fballem
July 6th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I am fortunate. I worked as a consultant for seven years. Over the years, I did a lot of significant work. I was fortunate enough to also have two small clients who looked to me for their computer support.

About a year ago, I started using ubuntu on my personal machine. Over time, I found myself using Windows less and less. My breaking point was when I had to re-install Windows and all programs on one of the computers at home. Even with proper backups of all data and original CDs for all sofware, including Vista, Office 2007, and a few others, the installation took me the better part of two solid days, including all configurations, data restore, anti-virus, printer drivers, and updates. On my machine, I did a clean install of 8.10 in a little more than 3-1/2 hours. It is much easier to backup my data and required configurations, and infinitely easier to install software, printers, etc.

So I advised both of my clients that I would be installing ubuntu on their machines. They are both going through the learning curve, but on the whole the experience has been very positive for both of them.

So, I'm doing Windows less and less. I will probably not upgrade to Windows 7 on the two machines at home - upgrades don't work well, and Windows 7 Ultimate for the two machines will be CAD 700+. I can't justify the cost of that upgrade.

In a couple of years or so, I imagine that I'll be converting those machines to ubuntu, which will hopefully be much better than it is now (and it's good now!).

I have also discovered a way to do very useful programming that is very portable using Eclipse RCP. Very suitable for the type of programs that I build, and I only have to learn Java.

So, no reason to support Windows going forward.

jflaker
July 6th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I started to make my services a revenue generator. For those with serious problems, I charge a flat rate....

I do not charge my Pastor or family, but for everyone, I make sure that my services are far superior to all others.

When you have been given a basket of lemons, be sure to make some LEMONADE and share in the rewards.

stwschool
July 6th, 2009, 02:38 AM
:lolflag: you know there will be someone else that takes your place.

i help friends & family all the time, i'm the "go to guy" & yes i do it for free.

i also use to help the "work" systems, but stopped that long ago, same as you they'ed call because i didn't charge & i would come to them so they wouldn't have to disconnect nothing & lug the stuff somewhere.

i don't really do to many windows computers to much now a days, most are mac & linux, the mac's seem to get the most problems now, i pretty much have already started turning mac's away & only doing the linux systems, cause thats pretty much what i know the best.
I'm aware of it. In fact, he's been angling for that spot for a while. The funny thing is he's crap, so it'll be interesting to watch the fallout. This is a guy who claims to program in languages which turn out not to exist, thinks that viruses can write content to a ROM chip, etc.

Basically I'm happy for someone else to take my place. If he wants the hassle he's welcome to it. I'm also 90% certain the users will notice a drop in the quality of support offered. Fingers crossed they'll also notice our Linux users (out of a teaching staff of 20 there are now 4 of us on Linux, the rest are mostly on pirated XP) having significantly less problems.

Chessnerd, in my case, the problems the user was having were major, there's already significant linux presence in the school, and I've successfully got non-techies to use Linux very effectively, and they've so far needed almost no tech support. It's doable, hell even our resident photocopier-destroyer-printer-mangler-and-virus-herder is getting on fine with UNR on his netbook. That, for me, made suggesting Linux quite a reasonable thing to do. You'd be surprised how well less experienced users can take to it.

swoll1980
July 6th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I've installed Linux on a couple of my families computers. They were all internet/email machines, with constant virus problems. so I gave them an ultimatum, I install a different OS, or your on your own. All of them are happy with Ubuntu, and non of the them have had to ask for help. Except my girlfriends aunt. She is helpless, and some how keeps making the wm not start up. She swears she's not doing anything, but I can't figure out how it would keep getting turned off, unless she was doing it.

aesis05401
July 6th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I've installed Linux on a couple of my families computers. They were all internet/email machines, with constant virus problems. so I gave them an ultimatum, I install a different OS, or your on your own. All of them are happy with Ubuntu, and non of the them have had to ask for help. Except my girlfriends aunt. She is helpless, and some how keeps making the wm not start up. She swears she's not doing anything, but I can't figure out how it would keep getting turned off, unless she was doing it.

Sometimes things go the other direction, too:http://xkcd.com/456/

juancarlospaco
July 6th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Im Ubuntu advanced user, im not nerd, i charge for support and consultant.

fballem
July 6th, 2009, 02:56 AM
... You'd be surprised how well less experienced users can take to it.

Actually, I think that less experienced users take to Linux much easier than experienced computer users - primarily because they don't get caught in the 'but I'm used to doing it this way trap'. It's the same experience that I had when I switched from Office 2003 to Office 2007. I have never been able to get used to the new interface - I was a power user on Office since Office 98. I find OpenOffice an easier transition.

Regards,

chessnerd
July 6th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Sometimes things go the other direction, too:http://xkcd.com/456/

That's one of my favorite xkcd comics and I have to say that it could well be based on true events. I've found myself up very late at night messing around under the hood in Linux. Sadly, this creates new tech support problems that I have to fix myself. I'm glad that you guys are here on the Ubuntu Forums to provide free tech support because by the time I'm done "learning Linux" I'll probably have reinstalled Ubuntu seven or eight times (I'm at three) and will have made over 300 posts about problems.

KiwiNZ
July 6th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I gain more satisfaction from helping than sending an invoice. So I do not mind at all giving assistance be it IT or any other part of life.

Dimitriid
July 6th, 2009, 03:16 AM
It has happened to me with family a lot. So I stopped doing it altogheter.

At work is different, we have about 300 computers in site and ONE IT guy who takes care of all those pcs, all accounts, all server maintainance, etc. Plus he is stubborn enough to say "Nah I don't need any help" and then proceed to take his third 1-week vacation this year.

So at work I sometimes do help some key people ( meaning my boss, my bosses boss, HR people, etc. ) so they keep me in the loop for when our one IT guy gets overwhelmed and they hire someone to help him.

Dimitriid
July 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I gain more satisfaction from helping than sending an invoice. So I do not mind at all giving assistance be it IT or any other part of life.

Yes but what satisfaction could you get from being overwhelmed with work and no extra pay at all?

My deparment badly needed to get organized and have real time data for analysis so I made a proposal to develop a small database. Of course this was at the expense of my boss suspending all my regular QA tasks for 2 weeks until I was done with it.

I could have told him "No its ok, I have enough downtime to do it while still doing all my regular tasks anyway" but what would be the point of doing double the work I am doing now?

stwschool
July 6th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy helping people, but I feel here that I'm not helping them, if you get my drift. I also find that they're swamping me with so much tech support I just don't have any time for my own stuff. At the end of the day I'm a teacher, and need to focus on that. I can't even sit down to do some marking without people wanting help. It grinds in the end.

lisati
July 6th, 2009, 03:27 AM
This thread reminds me a little of the video stuff I do for people. I started off doing it as a hobby, and eventually started doing it for church. They forked out about $2000 for a good camera for me to use, but it got to the point where family members (who happened to be big-wigs in their church) decided that because they'd paid for the camera, they could turn up any time, ask to use the camera, expect me to do the editing of their footage (a lot of it dubious quality that I wasn't really interested in) and put it on DVD, all at no cost.
I was happy enough to cut them slack when I recorded it myself because they were family and it was for church, but if I'd charged them commercial rates for my time and blank disks it wouldn't be good for me to hold my breath waiting to be paid.
I eventually handed the camera back to them, along with the CD for the software, and said that they'd have to do it themselves - I'd already installed the software on one of their computers. Plugging the camera in via USB, pushing the "one touch DVD burn" button on the camera, and putting a disk in when prompted isn't that hard! In the mean time, I've been happily using cameras I've paid for myself to get a little bit of extra cash in.

oldsoundguy
July 6th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I now only do work for people that are in need of work .. disabled, restricted income, elderly, those that need a computer in order to do school work or on line business of some sort.

I do not fix Windows machines for teen agers that have trashed the box by shutting off protection and spend all of their time in chat or game rooms ASKING for trouble. Did it ONCE and the idiot girl disabled the protection because she "could not get into her favorite chat room" .. "kept getting a warning" .. but "all her FRIENDS could get in there."

Most of the machines are basket cases (Windows) that have become so malware loaded that they won't even boot. (have removed as much as 4000 pieces of garbage from a Windows machine!)
I tell the Mac users .. you were stupid enough to shell out all of those bucks .. give apple some more to fix the machine (usually it is an hardware issue, so I have no low priced access to parts, anyway!)

murderslastcrow
July 6th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Well, I know this sounds a bit unethical, but since I haven't used Windows for over a year, I just help people who use Ubuntu, and most of the people I invite to use Linux, I tell them about support from ubuntuforums, and they generally need no help at all.

Not to mention I have a customized version of Ubuntu that includes all the usual suspects as far as software goes (wine, compizconfig, emerald, banshee, awn, windows wireless config). To be honest, that's the only reason I started to advocate using Linux- friends asked too many questions about fixing their viruses, adding customization to their XP, etc.

I just got sick of it, and Ubuntu is extremely low-maintenance. It only makes sense, and the majority of those friends I helped are more than just satisfied, but excited about their computers. When's the last time that happened?

Bölvağur
July 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I only do hardware and linux.

arcdrag
July 6th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Just finished putting back together a few computers that friends dropped off on me to check out. Both of them were told from Geek Squad that it would cost around $250 to fix their comps. One of them had a bad video card and the other had a bad power supply.

Overall I probably could have spent an hour on both computers (including time on newegg ordering parts) but I ended up spending about 3 hours checking other things as well to make sure everything was running correctly.

In the end, I saved them about $200 each, and I don't mind doing so because its a hobby and its still a learning experience for me. When it ceases to be enjoyable and/or educational for me, you can be sure that I'll be a little less willing to lend my expertise.

On a side note, I don't fix viral issues. I just tell them to install the free version of AVG and scan. If its still running like hell after removing all the malware, then I tell them to reformat and reinstall windows, or if they would like, I'll be more than willing to install linux and teach them to use it to do whatever they want to do.

Irihapeti
July 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I do occasional free Ubuntu tech support for my son and daughter-in-law because they appreciate it and don't make excessive demands. They also help me out in other ways, so I think it's a fair trade. As for Windows, I haven't used it for quite a while, so I wouldn't be much use to anyone.

However, I think that when people expect it as of right and they keep on doing the same silly things, then it makes sense to stop doing support for free. I see it like this: if you feel that you are being used, you probably are, and it's not a good place to be.

stwschool
July 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I do occasional free Ubuntu tech support for my son and daughter-in-law because they appreciate it and don't make excessive demands. They also help me out in other ways, so I think it's a fair trade. As for Windows, I haven't used it for quite a while, so I wouldn't be much use to anyone.

However, I think that when people expect it as of right and they keep on doing the same silly things, then it makes sense to stop doing support for free. I see it like this: if you feel that you are being used, you probably are, and it's not a good place to be.
Actually you've expressed the problem better than I managed to! People were expecting it as a right, not realising I was doing this stuff as a favour, not paid. When I tried educating them that they could avoid x by doing y they just complained it was too hard. Some did make the migration to linux and they're doing just fine, but those who didn't, mostly fall into the above category.

As you say, when you feel you're being used, at that point it's time to stop, and that's where I got to.

Lateforgym
July 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM
One thing I learned in life the hard way: If people dont know how much time, or the $ value you are helping them, dont help. They wont appreciate it. If they dont appreciate it and you bring it up, they typically become iritable and might build contempt for you as now you are coming across as manipulative and they are thinking "...meh...I guess I owe you something now for the two minutes of work you did huh" You might as well have stared at a wall for an afternoon.

hoagie
July 6th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I only do it for friends and stuff. My best mate saw ubuntu at my place and wanted to install it. I helped him but now it is getting tiring since he always want to have the newest version (every 6 months) and I always end up setting up ubuntu the way he wants it. I don't have a problem with that but I do know that he won't be using ubuntu unless for once or twice a month just to see the cube effect or execute apt-get moo, and that's what frustrates me.

stwschool
July 6th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I only do it for friends and stuff. My best mate saw ubuntu at my place and wanted to install it. I helped him but now it is getting tiring since he always want to have the newest version (every 6 months) and I always end up setting up ubuntu the way he wants it. I don't have a problem with that but I do know that he won't be using ubuntu unless for once or twice a month just to see the cube effect or execute apt-get moo, and that's what frustrates me.
At that point I'd recommend telling him where to go.

jman6495
July 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
i do it for free and sometimes i get a tip!

mister_p_1998
July 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I fix computers for Strangers: £10.00 per hour, no fix no fee, friends: a bottle of wine, Family free.
Steve

khelben1979
July 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM
One of the best things about giving free tech support is that you have no boss around which tells you how to act, is that you can do it in any way you like and therefor I have nothing against giving free tech support myself, but if I could earn money from it, I sure wouldn't complain about it. ;)

Every person on this forum and other forums have their own personal style. Less strict and more personal. Sometimes I experience it as quite interesting.

t0p
July 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I haven't used Windows in a serious way since Win2000, so I wouldn't be much use to my Windows-using friends. I tell them this too, but whenever their XP or Vista machine screws the pooch, they still ask me to help. I tell 'em "I wouldn't know what to do", and they say "But you know computers! You're always doing computer stuff!" Gah!

Anyway, I don't often help out with Windows issues for the above reasons, but I have installed Ubuntu on a few friends' computers and I will always help them out if they ask. My only stipulation is that they must try to learn. I won't just do mysterious stuff to the machine when they're not looking, I want them to watch so I can explain what I'm trying to do and hopefully they will be able to do it themselves next time.

One guy who I introduced to Ubuntu back in Feisty days, he knows more than me about Linux now (http://xkcd.com/456/). He's got Slackware and Debian on his boxen, and he speaks in guru. I get help off him now. And he's always happy to help.

nothingspecial
July 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I haven't used Windows in a serious way since Win2000, so I wouldn't be much use to my Windows-using friends. I tell them this too, but whenever their XP or Vista machine screws the pooch, they still ask me to help. I tell 'em "I wouldn't know what to do", and they say "But you know computers! You're always doing computer stuff!" Gah!

I`ve never used windows so I`m completely safe. The only time I`ve had to help anyone was aguy at work who was given a pc with mandriva on it a couldn`t get his printer to work.

The only other person I know who uses linux is the guy who introduced me to it and he`s some kind of fancy dev/coder who knows more than I ever will. I do enjoy it when he phones me up and asks ME how to do something though.

wangfeng3769
July 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
hello:guitar:

koleoptero
July 6th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Half my village here owe the fact that they have a computer to me on varying extents. In the beginning they would pester me all day with calls about this and that problem. That until I started pushing them away using the very nice method of making them feel completely stupid. They never call me anymore.

nothingspecial
July 6th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Get back to work
[-X

Mateo
July 6th, 2009, 12:07 PM
unless i can answer the question immediately, i say that i don't know and that they should ask a professional. im not wasting my brain power.

tsali
July 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
stwschool:

Are you working on school computers or personal computers? Does your school not have a technologist who's job is to support this equipment? Does the school have a network?

If the answer is no, you may have more of an opportunity here than a problem.

Otherwise, I'd recommend that you continue helping your friends but manage the time accordingly. There's nothing wrong with telling them no because you have to prep for class. I think there IS something wrong with telling them no just because they're running a Windows machine...it turns you into an OS Snob.

Bottom line: If you CAN help them and you can spare the time, do so. You never know when that person will be able to help you.

While you're at it, you can make little adjustments to those Windows systems that can keep them running reliably henceforth.

stwschool
July 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM
stwschool:

Are you working on school computers or personal computers? Does your school not have a technologist who's job is to support this equipment? Does the school have a network?

If the answer is no, you may have more of an opportunity here than a problem.

Otherwise, I'd recommend that you continue helping your friends but manage the time accordingly. There's nothing wrong with telling them no because you have to prep for class. I think there IS something wrong with telling them no just because they're running a Windows machine...it turns you into an OS Snob.

Bottom line: If you CAN help them and you can spare the time, do so. You never know when that person will be able to help you.

While you're at it, you can make little adjustments to those Windows systems that can keep them running reliably henceforth.
I've been working on a mixture. The school computers and when people ask for it, their own computers, as they use them for school stuff. We have myself and another chap who know what a computer is, apart from that knowledge in the school is zero apart from the students (grade 4 are extremely competent in Windows and Linux).

Trust me, it's problem not opportunity as to be honest my time is taken up beyond any reasonable level.

Regarding telling them no because it's a Windows machine, that's not the case. I'm telling people no because they're using me, and because they choose not to listen or educate themselves when I try to teach them to avoid the problems. That makes what I'm doing somewhat pointless. My Linux users, I will continue to support, as I put them on Linux so they're my responsibility. The rest, it was something voluntary I did, and I can therefore choose to discontinue that support. It's not snobbery, it's getting my time back, and not being treated like a slave!

The thing is, people just expect it and get all huffy if it's not fixed right away. I have to teach too but that doesn't seem to matter. To me, that's just not right. So if they won't listen to me and learn so as to reduce my work load, I have to take action to reduce my work load to the same as theirs, by not doing support anymore.

Further, you say that "You never know when that person will be able to help you." Funny thing is that on the rare occasions I ask for anything from them.. can you guess what happens?

Just because people are teachers and have degrees and all that stuff doesn't make them grown-ups, or nice people for that matter!

stinger30au
July 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
i run my own business and its a private company, not a charity

for labour for my family, i usually charge zero dollars cos its usally simple stuff

hardware is a different story. i have bills to pay too.

i help out windows clients and ubuntu clients, and im slow but surely converting the windows clients to ubuntu

i do my best to never turn a client away no matter how big or small the problem

you never know who they are and when they can do you a favour down the track either ;-)

The Real Dave
July 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM

To a certain extent yes. I mean, amongst my friends I'm pretty much IT support, and when its my friends, I don't really mind giving out free support. However, if its not friends or family, I tend to charge for my time, and charge the cost of parts and a bit more. However, its still a damn sight cheaper than the local computer repair shops.

I won't touch anything that still has a warrenty, and usually, a glance or a description is enough to diagnose the problem. However, if its something that I'm not too sure about, and reckon could cause damage (especially on newer machines), ill just tell em to take it to a repair shop. Usually though, its the typical Windows lag, so a Data backup and re-install is all thats needed. The only problem can be the Windows Drivers Hell.

So usually, its a quick fix. A re-install of Windows is 30Euro to the customer. Thats 30 quid in the pocket for 2 hours work for me, and its saves them around 70 (the local repair shops are thieves :O)

Sometimes I get a more complex problem, which takes more time. But the thing about that is, that I enjoy these. It teaches me more about computer repair (and I've plenty to learn yet, I'm only 17), so their really just providing me with a challenge, and a learning ground, and paying me for the pleasure.

But the best bit is when a computer is purely knackered, CPU's blown a hole through the mobo or something. I explain to the person whats wrong, show it to them (some people wont believe anything that comes out of a teenagers mouth) and help them recover their data. Then their usually quite happy to let me keep the PC and often still pay me for my trouble. This to me is great, gives me spare parts which save me alot of money on buying new ones.

Then word gets around that I'll take people's old computers for free. Saves them paying to get rid of it, and keeps it outta the landfill. Just this morning, a guy (and I've NO idea who he is) arrived at my house with two old computers (about 3 years old, a 3GHz P4 and an Athlon 64, which considering Im used to working on W2K stuff, PIIIs and that, 3 years old is new :D), and later I'm picking up another one from a friend of mine. I take what I want of em, then throw em in the shed. Every two weeks (or when needed) I take the lot to the nearest recycling centre and get rid of em for free :D

It helps though that my school's IT guy and me are good friends. He can advise on on stuff, and when the school is getting rid of computers (which considering that we have ALOT of computers and that he covers 2 schools, is quite often), he'll often give them to me (think i've gotten about 4 of him so far). That and that he has just about every OS disk going :D

Life is good :D

racerraul
July 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
interesting thread...

I stopped helping even family and friends a couple years ago... I was being taken for granted.

However, just recently my mother in law (who knew I didn't want to touch her PC ever again) begged for my help... I told her it was Ubuntu or nothing, and since she was broke, she had no choice but to try Ubuntu.

It's been 2-3 months and her PC would have been ruined by now by the grandkids and stupid teenagers that visit my teenage brother inlaw. I was just there yesterday to install some updates she said where queueing up...

The ol gal is getting Ubuntu wise and her computer so far has not been a victim of improper use cause no one but the old lady knows how to use it...

love it...

We need more happy endings like this...

VastOne
July 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
So here's my story. I'm a computer nerd, like most of us here I suspect. I work in a school. I have the same teaching load as other teachers, but in order to keep the school functioning I tend to do extra stuff like making sure our computers work etc. So my hours are probably 1.5x other teachers workloads.

Now the thing is, every little problem, people would come to me. It's nice to be wanted, but it eventually gets very draining. I never got a lunch break, cos I'd have a queue of at least 5 people wanting help with something. Anyway, two weeks ago something happened which was enlightening. I was poking around a knackered computer and of course, being a Windows machine, it was riddled with crap. Now I know what the user does, and linux would be perfect for them, as it covers all the bases. So I suggested it as a solution, and the response was "no I'll just take it to the repair shop instead". Now that probably sounds quite insignificant, but it put a lightbulb above my head.

I realised that this teacher was not asking me for technical support out of respect for my opinion or my abilities, but because I was free (as in beer), and the computer shop was not. It then struck me that that was the case in school in general. It also began to occur to me that I was helping people to make the wrong decisions by shielding them from the true consequences of their IT choices, as after all they never had to pay for fixes.

So the solution? I have now quit IT support in school, except for the users I've installed Linux for as I have a responsibility to those, having given them something unusual. To say that the freedom has been wonderful is an understatement. I'm getting free time at lunch, I'm getting more time to do my own work, and it feels like I have a life again. So no more free technical support. I'm not the IT shop!

I have been on this road for so many years it is not funny any more. Too much of a nice guy has taken years off of my life. I had to give up a cell phone because it rang at all hours. The thing that did get to me was if I say it is broken, it is broken but so many spent the $150.00 to hear it again from a paid tech support "guru". If they had listened, they would have been 1/2 of the way to a new computer with Ubuntu on it.

I can now say that it is easy to convert people to Ubuntu after using my LiveCD disk to repair their broken Windows time after time.

Even better, my children are Ubuntu guru's (in the making) and they have converted both of their schools.

My rates went from 25 per computer to 40 to now 75 (living in the middle of nowhere). Now I only get serious calls and will only work on my schedule not theirs!

VastOne
July 6th, 2009, 08:36 PM
at that point i'd recommend telling him where to go.

+1

richg
July 6th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Very simple. Get a T shirt that says, No I will not fix your computer. My geek stepson/programmer type bought a shirt like that a couple years ago. Solved a lot of problems.

Rich

PurposeOfReason
July 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM
If you're not family, a friend, or a darn cool friend of a friend you'll be getting charged. I'll even charge friends if the problem is hellish enough. Problem solved.

VastOne
July 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I think there IS something wrong with telling them no just because they're running a Windows machine...it turns you into an OS Snob.

I am proud to be an OS snob... As I have made a fortune on Windows quagmires as a consultant and can now very prudently say that these issues will not happen on Linux/Ubuntu. If that means I am a OS snob then so be it. My time is more important than trying to constantly teach someone to NOT open that email or go to that site or say yes to this and that or not run that or how to backup and when to backup and what is this and what is that and on and on and on...

jaded, yes. Sleep at night, yes to that too

I do not want to give you a fish, I want to teach you to fish. If you refuse that offer, then who is kidding who?

I am not throwing darts at you Tsali, I respect your opinion. ):P

mhgsys
July 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM
So here's my story. <snap>
Now the thing is, every little problem, people would come to me. It's nice to be wanted, but it eventually gets very draining.

>snap>

:lolflag:

My answer to that is in your story,

People have to pay me for my time,

except the users I've installed Linux for

shadylookin
July 6th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I give my parents and my siblings free tech support. Everyone else gets charged $50+parts or higher if the problem is more significant.

These days I usually make them drop off the computer and let them pick it up the next day. The last time I did an in house job as a favor and charged $25 to replace some ram the lady seemed rather annoyed that I made her pay $25 dollars for 10 minutes of work ignoring the years of knowledge it takes to become proficient at hardware repair and how much that knowledge is worth(not to mention how much a pain house calls are)

I don't get very many clients, but it's better than being used by unappreciative people for free.

Irihapeti
July 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
the lady seemed rather annoyed that I made her pay $25 dollars for 10 minutes of work ignoring the years of knowledge it takes to become proficient at hardware repair and how much that knowledge is worth(not to mention how much a pain house calls are)

I strongly suspect that when people do this, here is what is going on inside their heads:

"$25 for 10 minutes = $150 per hour = $6,000 for a 40 hour week"

They overlook the fact that one just can't work 40 chargeable hours a week in many lines of work, quite apart from the other points you've made.

VastOne
July 6th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I strongly suspect that when people do this, here is what is going on inside their heads:

They overlook the fact that one just can't work 40 chargeable hours a week in many lines of work, quite apart from the other points you've made.

That is why I strongly emphasize that my rate is $50.00 for each pc I touch regardless of what is wrong with it. There are 10 minute jobs that go along with the 4-8 hour marathons

In the end, we all smile

aysiu
July 6th, 2009, 11:55 PM

They also discount the time it takes to drive, bike, or take public transportation over to their house.

Frankly, if someone doesn't know how to or doesn't trust herself enough to install RAM, she should be willing to shell out $25 for another person to do it. If she can find a better price, she's welcome to go elsewhere.

HermanAB
July 7th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Hmm, I tell people I charge $90 per hour, 2 hours minimum. That way I only get machines to repair when they already tried more than one computer shop and the thing is *still* broken - or worse.

In practice, I seldom charge more than $180 even if it takes me 3 days to fix the damn thing, since I think that it is unconscionable to charge more than it would cost to buy a new netbook and junk the old clunker.

shadylookin
July 7th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Oh how I wish. You're right though. Though it's always better to be unappreciated tech support with cash in your pocket than some poor sap doing it for free.

They also discount the time it takes to drive, bike, or take public transportation over to their house.

Frankly, if someone doesn't know how to or doesn't trust herself enough to install RAM, she should be willing to shell out $25 for another person to do it. If she can find a better price, she's welcome to go elsewhere.

Not to mention dealing with the customer itself. As someone who isn't a people person putting on a smile and a pleasant attitude for some people is the hardest part :lolflag:

The sad part thing is she's the one that set the price. She offered the money and I accepted without haggling, she even knew that the local repair guy would have charged her 75 plus you would have to buy the part from him. I guess people just expect more razzle-dazzle from their house calls. Next time(if I ever do another one) I'll show up in a cape, light some fireworks, or do a few magic tricks or something

The Real Dave
July 7th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I guess people just expect more razzle-dazzle from their house calls. Next time(if I ever do another one) I'll show up in a cape, light some fireworks, or do a few magic tricks or something

"And now, for my next trick, I will make these viruses disappear!"

:guitar::lolflag:

tjwoosta
July 7th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I do charge people, including friends and family to fix their computers but I feel its fair. I change much less then the computer repair people would, plus I dont lie to people and make them pay for things they dont need.

I remember once about four years ago my parents took the family computer to a professional because it had some viruses or something. The guy told them it wasn't worth the price to fix it and we would be better off to trade it in and buy a new one (from him of course). I convinced them to refuse and to let me see what i could do with it.

I backed up all their data onto a couple cd-r's, reformated the hard drive, and reinstalled the copy or windows xp that came with the machine and bam everything was as good as new, actually it was even better because it didnt have all the additional crap on there like aol free trials and security suite trials. The whole process took me about 3 hours tops and saved them about 6 or 7 hundred bucks. The machine still runs to this day. (obviously I wasnt going to charge that time because 1. it was my parents and 2. I used it too.)

toupeiro
July 7th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I handle it like this.

Assessments = Free. I will listen to your problems, Give you my recommendations for free.

In most cases, I have people rank their problems from smallest to greatest, and I ask for at least three. almost 100% of the time, they are spyware/malware, slowness/crashing, and/or completely corrupt windows installations, typically due to bad practices in usage.

I then give them my two recommendations. usually they consist of using windows "the right way", with the steps involved documented in how to do so. The second is using ubuntu, a writeup on basic navigation, and how to use the forums for technical support. Also, with the second options comes two free tech support issues of any kind. With the first comes one.

If my suggestions are both shot down and they just "want it fixed", my rates for rebuilds are $99 dollars per hour, minimum of three. phone calls are $50 per incident. anything above 2 hours on the phone is $50 per hour.

Most people either stop coming to me, or take one of my recommendations. Those who take my recommendations are rarely disappointed. So, its a win/win. I love helping people who want to be helped, but I'm not going to be used.

VastOne
July 7th, 2009, 04:43 AM
One more thing for me....

There is 7 words that change everything when I receive the phone call...

"My entire business is on that computer"

Immediately my rate goes to 1500.00

And the lessons learned after I take 10 minutes to fix a MBR

That lesson being....

You can enter several hundred responses to that line.....

Ad when it is over, I finally build them a new server and remove that laptop from their hands