PDA

View Full Version : If I back up hidden program files and restore it on a computer...

gymophett
July 5th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Would that program be installed on the program I restored it to? Like if I backed up .virtualbox, would VB be installed and I'd be able to launch it via terminal?

t0p
July 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
No. The "hidden" files contain mostly config stuff. Not binary stuff, not executables, none of that. You need to get a .deb and install it. Like through Synaptic.

monsterstack
July 5th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Your applications will not be installed after the restore. But what will happen is that after you've installed your applications again, the settings for all of your applications will return to what they were before you nuked the hard disk. Themes, icons, recent documents, preferences. It's pretty handy.

gymophett
July 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Your applications will not be installed after the restore. But what will happen is that after you've installed your applications again, the settings for all of your applications will return to what they were before you nuked the hard disk. Themes, icons, recent documents, preferences. It's pretty handy.

Thanks, really needed the icons and themes. :)