PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] wubi install

skyjacker
July 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I just had to re-install XP and was wondering what the advantages (or dis-advantages) of installing 9.04 directly into windows (wubi?) For now I have to keep XP, and could create new partitions, but if wubi is okay I may go that way.

presence1960
July 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
wubi is meant to be used as a test drive to see if you like Ubuntu without having to partition your hard disk. Since it can be uninstalled from windows Control Panel as any other software it is convenient.

Disadvantages include once you set the size of Ubuntu file in windows you are stuck with that. If you run out of space that's it. If you read about wubi it's performance is subject to degradation because of fragmentation on the windows file system.

Advantages : Easy to install. I really can't think of any others.

I installed wubi just to expand my knowledge. After about 3 weeks I got rid of it. It worked good. But my personal preference is to partition my disk and have a full install of Ubuntu.

Even though wubi is to test out Ubuntu I realize some use it permanently. To each his/her own!

skyjacker
July 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
wubi is meant to be used as a test drive to see if you like Ubuntu without having to partition your hard disk. Since it can be uninstalled from windows Control Panel as any other software it is convenient.

Disadvantages include once you set the size of Ubuntu file in windows you are stuck with that. If you run out of space that's it. If you read about wubi it's performance is subject to degradation because of fragmentation on the windows file system.

Advantages : Easy to install. I really can't think of any others.

I installed wubi just to expand my knowledge. After about 3 weeks I got rid of it. It worked good. But my personal preference is to partition my disk and have a full install of Ubuntu.

Even though wubi is to test out Ubuntu I realize some use it permanently. To each his/her own!Just what I needed to know! Iv'e had it with XP any way. The only reason I have to keep it is because I publish a large newsletter with it, and can't find Linux software that will work without a steep learning curve (which I don't have time for). I think I'll partition my HD, and go that way... Thanks for your help.

presence1960
July 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Just what I needed to know! Iv'e had it with XP any way. The only reason I have to keep it is because I publish a large newsletter with it, and can't find Linux software that will work without a steep learning curve (which I don't have time for). I think I'll partition my HD, and go that way... Thanks for your help.

I hear you! I only have a windows partition because my job made it clear no open office because formatting on documents is not 100% consistent between the 2 platforms. So I downloaded Win 7 RC to gain some knowledge about the new windows even though I only use windows about once per month for work. But a lot of our newbie friends in here still use windows heavily so I need to stay up to speed. Good luck, any questions post back. Oh yeah report back how it goes.