PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Shiretoko

elzorroviejo
July 5th, 2009, 07:04 PM
When I saw the news that the new Firefox had debuted, I was excited to load it up, especially as the new Opera browser had raised the bar a little. After fumbling around for awhile, I found the page which tells one how to load Firefox 3.5 onto the Ubuntu platform. I performed the necessary mouse clicks and something happened. But I couldn't find where I had actually put this new Firefox...until today. I found it and got it up and running, but...it isn't Firefox; it's Shiretoko. Now, when I click on "Help" and "about" I get a window that tells me it is version 3.5.1pre, Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical - 1.0. The icon is the world without the firefox wrapped around it. Now, is this just because it is the "pre" version, we will be getting the official Firefox version at some indeterminate time in the future? Or is this Shirtoko version the new standard for Ubuntu?

For what it is worth, it seems to be doing what Firefox does and doing it well. It also imported my bookmarks and plug-ins...for the most part. (Yeah, I am missing a couple of those, but there was a box that I didn't pay much attention to which pointed out what was not updating to this new version...)

OK, that's all that was on my mind. Thanks in advance to any and all who can shed some light on this for me.

leonardo_neo
July 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I too was wondering why it is called 'shiretoko'?

I liked it a lot though. It is fast. The only thing which I am missing is google search engine. I am not able to find the old google search engine, so I installed "google english" search engine. But it does not automatically suggest the possible word when I am typing in the search box.

CaseSensative
July 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I think since its not an official .deb it is not recognized by Ubuntu.

pjalegria
July 5th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Shiretoko is the codename for firefox development version

elzorroviejo
July 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Really? No Google search engine? I just looked up at my Navigation tool bar and there is my Google search window.

linux_lover69
July 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Well Shiretoko is just the beta version. If you want the final release this tutorial shows you how. http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/193/installing-firefox-3-5-in-ubuntu-the-easy-way

Teabicky
July 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks linux_lover69, just tried ubuntuzilla and it has worked a treat...it is a great script.

fates
July 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Has anyone done the same for 64bit, trying to run that package on 64bit results in wrong architecture msg. If someone has could a msg be added for it.
Thanks in advance.

rossmoore
July 7th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I've been wanting to try FF 3.5 too. I was told that I should install the FF3.5 package in the main repositories and wait - it was the beta 4 Shiretoko package when Jaunty launched, but it was put there to be ready for when 3.5 went live, at which point it would be upgraded to the release version (within a few days for repackaging).

So last night I checked for upgrades and sure enough there was a new FF 3.5 package, with XUL-runner and the rest. This was it, I thought. Installed the upgrade, launched firefox-3.5 and looked at "About" - where it reported the release 3.5 version, not beta. BUT, it was still called Shiretoko.

So whats in the repositories now? It reports itself as 3.5, not a beta version, but is still called Shiretoko. Any ideas anyone?

Lety
July 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
leonardo_neo,
I added 'Google US' engine - it suggests words.
It can be found here: mycroft.mozdev.org

Brandon Williams
July 7th, 2009, 10:34 PM
As far as I can tell, the version in the repos is FF3.5 final. The branding just hasn't been updated yet, so it still refers to itself as shiretoko.