PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Driver for Wireless on a HP

Lunar Vixen
July 5th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have just successfully installed a Dual Boot of Ed/Ubuntu and Vista on my HP Pavilion dv 9310. I have a wireless network card in it as well, but do not have a way of turning it on, within Ubuntu. I've searched for directions on what to do, however, what I have found does not make sense to my stay-at-home mom brain. IE: it was too high-techy for me to understand.

Is there anyone who can help me out in simple speak? This is my first time using Ubuntu, let alone any other Linux derived system, and I attribute my successful first time installation to pure dumb luck.

Thanks in advance.

Bucky Ball
July 5th, 2009, 05:03 PM
If you have an ethernet cable, plug it in and boot up the computer. You will probably be offered the restricted third party hardware drivers after you get online and download updates for the first time.

No, not dumb luck. If your hardware is compatible, all should be pretty smooth. 9.04 or 8.04?

Lunar Vixen
July 5th, 2009, 05:32 PM
D'oh.. I should have mentioned that! I've installed 9.04 (it's called Jaunty Jackalope right?).

I'm currently wired on the LAN, and nothing's come up so far, but I will try a restart and see what happens.

Bucky Ball
July 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Open a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and paste this in:

sudo apt-get update

Also, check in System->Administration->Hardware Drivers

What have you got there?

Also in a terminal, paste this:

lspci

Somewhere near the bottom you will find your wireless card. Post that back here.

paul_be
July 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
:(

Lunar Vixen
July 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Here I am on the internet!

After your post, I did a restart but nothing came up. So I thought maybe I had to find a way to initiate it to realise it needed a driver. So I click on System, Administration, and saw Hardware Drivers. Once I clicked on that, it started searching and immediately came up with the Wireless (Broadcom) and the option to activate it. So I activated it, it downloaded and installed a driver, told me to restart. And a little fiddling in the network connections to set up my wireless network connection and voila! It's working!

Thanks!

Bucky Ball
July 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Excellent! That's what we were looking for! The Broadcom cards were a nightmare but the new drivers have been developed to make it that easy. Welcome and have fun. Don't forget to post back with any probs. :)