PDA

View Full Version : Open Smart-Phone OS

TomSharp
July 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hello all,

I'm very interested in the smart-phone market, since I really like the idea of having significant computing power at my fingertips at all times. However, I've not invested in a smart-phone yet because I haven't found one that meets the 3 requirements I would expect of any computer system:

- Openness - I should be able to see and contribute to the source at all times

- Extensibility - I should be able to compile binaries for the computer and run them when and how I please

- Control/Privacy - My computer should not be tied into the services of a particular corporation or group, particularly if this means uploading my personal details to their servers.

I'm sure many of you can guess which of the current dominant mobile OSes do not meet these conditions.

I am interested in porting/developing/promoting an OS that meets these 3 requirements. I get the feeling that Ubuntu MID and Moblin are pitched at the netbook market and I've not found anything aimed at smartphones. Does anyone have any ideas or is anyone interested in getting involved in this? I'm inexperienced with Linux programming but have always wanted to get more involved and this seems like a great time/place.

Tom Sharp

(p.s. if anyone suggests Android as a solution to my problem, I suggest that you did not read my post. I am open to the possibility of using Android as a basis for a genuinely FOSS OS though, although I imagine it will take significant modifications.)

Woormy
July 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Some phone makers are working on non-Google branded Android OSs that may be more open so in the future there may be many Androids. Maybe some will be closer to pure FOSS.

transgress
July 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Ok so... i don't think your computer system really fits those requirements. I mean... what do you even mean it shouldn't be tied into the services of a particular corporation? I mean windows isn't even like that. And a jailbroken iphone isn't like that. The sources available for android are far greater than any of the other smart phone OS's. There is the openmoko setup for even more opensourceness but... all of 3 people use that. Smart phones mostly fit your requirements including iphone and android... and winmo. Geniunely FOSS btw... do you use flash? I somehow doubt your linux setup is genuinely FOSS. I honestly think you just have some stupid Stallmanesque idea of what things should be like...