PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ntt adsl

travelour
July 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Greetings, I'm a teacher in Japan who is new to linux. My server administrator at my school recommended ubuntu to me for my laptop since it was very useful for foreigners living on the island. He set up my internet at the school, but I'd really like to be able to use it at home as well.

I followed some advice I previously saw here about pppoe econfig in order to try to set up my NTT fletz ADSL account on my laptop. It didn't work. In fact, I lost my setting for my school's server and ended up asking my administrator to set it up again for me. As a result, I'd like to try to do it manually instead.
Is there anybody out there living in Japan that can give me step by step instructions on the set up (including what the settings might be or where I can find them for an account in Shizuoka prefecture).

Thanks,
Marcus

computer13137
July 5th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I don't live in Japan - nor do I have DSL... but why not just use a DSL modem or router outside of your computer, and connect to it with ethernet or WiFi? I would handle authentication with the DSL at the router level, not at the client level.

The reason I would see to do this instead of what you're doing, is that way your DSL can be connected all the time, and it would make it easier to access... also probably easier to switch between the networks. :P

Cheers,
Kirk