PDA

View Full Version : im searching the forum

flyingsliverfin
July 5th, 2009, 01:46 AM
im looking through the forum for the place where the projects are going on. i would like to participate in a project that uses python (non OOP, if possible) but i cant find the place.
when i started learning python someone recommended that i do my tutorial, do some practice programs, then participate in a project going on on this forums (where??)

nobodysbusiness
July 5th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Do you have a link to the recommendation that the person gave you? There is a forum dedicated to programming and such, but it's not about specific projects.

Anyway, if you're looking for a project to help you learn some Python, I've just recently released the first version of a program called "Caffeine for Linux". It's still a young project; the codebase is currently only a couple of hundred lines, so it would be an ideal starting point for someone new to Python. It's not OOP yet, though I'd like to move in that direction eventually. The project page is here (http://launchpad.net/caffeine), and the blog post announcing the new program is here (http://pragmattica.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/caffeine-not-just-for-beverages-anymore/). I'm fairly experienced with Python, so I'd be happy to help you get started with the language, whether or not you wish to join the project.

On a related note, I'd just like to say how great it is that you're starting to learn Python. It's a great language, and learning it was one of the best things I've ever done for my career as a programmer.

flyingsliverfin
July 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
i think i can help, i already know some python... but im only 13 so the ways i solve problems might be long and tedious :) (i dont have much problem solving experience)

PS: no link from recommender

also i dont know how to exactly do what you want... it looks quite done to me...??? your code is really advanced for me too :(

nobodysbusiness
July 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM
also i dont know how to exactly do what you want... it looks quite done to me...???

That's a good point. Perhaps I should go into launchpad and create blueprints for all the features that people have requested for the project...

flyingsliverfin
July 5th, 2009, 06:01 PM
so... what can i do?