PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Destruction.

Gizenshya
July 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I have old laptops sitting around taking up space. They work.. but they are old and slow. I'll keep a couple of them.. but the rest I want to dispose of.

So... I'm looking for suggestions on how to dispose of them in some sort of interesting way...

Just saw a thread that apparently used thermite, so that's out. I want something fairly original...

One idea someone had was to make a skit outside (like a bbq or something). Have the laptop up and playing some music or something, maybe online... have a mock argument (between owner... well, lets say root and guest), and have guest grab the laptop and throw it like a skeet, and shoot it with a shotgun

then root is like WHAT... THE...

then guest pumps another round in... and says... sorry, what was that?

maybe another line or two of dialog, and vid ends.

Or... though they won't run vista, I can put a screenshot on it of an error in vista, and then act pissed and do a skeet shoot with it.

I figure something along those lines might make a good viral vid, if we can get enough practice to make it believable...

some on, any ideas?

there will probably be at least 2 laptops to destroy :)

and yeah, any parts will be disposed of properly afterwards.

dragos240
July 4th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Hmm.... Dynamite?

cariboo
July 4th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Be responsible, take them to the recycler.

Eviltechie
July 5th, 2009, 12:33 AM
It would be hard getting throwing your laptop that high in the air.

Gizenshya
July 5th, 2009, 12:41 AM
hmmm... good point :(

I have springs... but I'd have to make a contraption, and that might make it look like an obvious set-up.

btw... when I said properly dispose of, I meant recycle :) And they will be recycled, I promise you.

LookTJ
July 5th, 2009, 12:43 AM
be responsible, take them to the recycler.
+1

earthpigg
July 5th, 2009, 12:50 AM

i disagree, machines that no longer work should go to the recycler.

machines that still work should be recycled by putting them to use. local library? local school?

if you are in a wealthy area: inner city school or library nearbye?

naturally, put a working install of a linux distro on them first :D

perhaps pick up some sticky label thingies from the local kinkos and print out labels with info such as:

proc: 800mhz p3
ram: 256 megs
wireless works
cd burner works
floppy drive broken
usb port marked in red broken

The Toxic Mite
July 5th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Aww come on!

Destructing a defunct computer must be a lot more fun than taking it to your local recycling center, eh???????? ;)

SunnyRabbiera
July 5th, 2009, 01:03 AM

Be irressponcible, give them to the Mythbusters to blow up on one of their episodes :D

The Toxic Mite
July 5th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Be irressponcible, give them to the Mythbusters to blow up on one of their episodes :D

+1 quadrillion :mrgreen: :P

Gizenshya
July 5th, 2009, 01:15 AM
if they were 800 mhz or anything close to it I'd keep them!

the only reason I'm keeping some is for starcraft and total annihilation LAN parties. They do that well, but thats about it.

procs are like 300 mhz.. maybe 250 or so, I forgot. 128 mb RAM, and only enough hard drive space for win xp bare install (we have to run the games from a shared folder through the LAN on a faster computer lol). CD drives work like champs, though. no.. not dvd drives :p

if they were candidates for donation I wouldn't think of destroying them :)

the batteries won't charge on any of them (and they have already been disposed of). they are scratched to crap and dented... faded. the screens on the ones I want to destroy have problems (lcd screens.. so cracked and discolored in places). But they do work lol

come on, more suggestions!

and I'll certainly entertain the mythbusters suggestion. but it should be for some purpose... like a myth. anything to test that would be interesting?

Compucore
July 5th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I would agree bring them to a recycler for proper disposal for the parts and the what nots. Since they all can be reused in many ways. Seen it from a program on the discovery channels up here in Canada. But putting them to use on Mythbusters would be a nice alternative as for busting a myth that are related to an old laptop would be interesting. So a plus @ on both suggestion here for each of those.

Compucore

jflaker
July 5th, 2009, 01:23 AM
part them out on ebay..remove the LCD, the keyboard, the drives....the parts are usually worth more than the whole.....when you are down to the plastic case, if you didn't destroy it taking it apart, sell that too.

you can probably get $200 for the parts of one system...people break LCD's and new is usually out of the question.....

just my 2 cents

SunnyRabbiera
July 5th, 2009, 01:23 AM
if they were 800 mhz or anything close to it I'd keep them!

the only reason I'm keeping some is for starcraft and total annihilation LAN parties. They do that well, but thats about it.

procs are like 300 mhz.. maybe 250 or so, I forgot. 128 mb RAM, and only enough hard drive space for win xp bare install (we have to run the games from a shared folder through the LAN on a faster computer lol). CD drives work like champs, though. no.. not dvd drives :p

the batteries won't charge on any of them (and they have already been disposed of). they are scratched to crap and dented... faded. the screens on the ones I want to destroy have problems (lcd screens.. so cracked and discolored in places). But they do work lol

come on, more suggestions!

and I'll certainly entertain the mythbusters suggestion. but it should be for some purpose... like a myth. anything to test that would be interesting?

Battery pack explosions are a good one to cover.
Now the laptop battery explosion thing is not a myth itself but I am sure the claims can be exaggerated.

lisati
July 5th, 2009, 01:29 AM
What would be really nice would be a way of letting out your latent hooliganism AND taking the remains to a recycling depot for responsible disposal. Of the ideas so far, letting the Mythbusters team do something with them sounds promising.

izizzle
July 5th, 2009, 01:32 AM
4th of July + Old/Unused Laptops + A few fireworks = Independence day.

earthpigg
July 5th, 2009, 02:11 AM

im sure your local high school could use them as learning aids. a lot of high schools offer networking courses.

student task: setup a NAS box.

Cam42
July 5th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Just throw them. really far. in my direction
:D

Sealbhach
July 5th, 2009, 03:41 AM
A nice shredding session would be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0TpLBObBj4

Sky Pixie
July 5th, 2009, 03:58 AM
MYTH: A DVD drive filled with black powder will explode violently when the computer is turned on.

Prove it!

MYTH: An operational computer will burst into flame when gasoline is poured on the keyboard.

Prove it!

mynameinc
July 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Make a profit month after month. How you say? Set up webservers for people who want a website, then charge them enough to cover the miniscule electricity cost plus a little to make a profit with. On the other hand, you could set up your own website and make money on the side, and this would be a nice hobby for some people.

sharathpaps
July 5th, 2009, 04:06 AM
If they have any juice left in them at all, you could convert them into a Digital Photo Frame. You'll find detailed instructions (http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_picture_frame.html) all over the web. This way,

1. You don't have to throw away your laptops.

2. You'll have a really cool thing that you made yourself and which would have been expensive to buy otherwise.

3. It would be a constructive use of your time.

Gizenshya
July 5th, 2009, 04:29 AM
A nice shredding session would be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0TpLBObBj4

several link later...

OSHA FTW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi1V7gXyVeo

Marlonsm
July 5th, 2009, 04:43 AM
i disagree, machines that no longer work should go to the recycler.

Machines that still work should be recycled by putting them to use. Local library? Local school?

If you are in a wealthy area: Inner city school or library nearbye?

Naturally, put a working install of a linux distro on them first :d

perhaps pick up some sticky label thingies from the local kinkos and print out labels with info such as:

Proc: 800mhz p3
ram: 256 megs
wireless works
cd burner works
floppy drive broken
usb port marked in red broken

+1

HappyFeet
July 5th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Puppy linux retro would probably run good on a couple of those computers. It's worth a shot. If not that, try slitaz or even tiny core linux.

jflaker
July 5th, 2009, 06:09 AM
several link later...

OSHA FTW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi1V7gXyVeo

Either this is a garage operation or they are not in the USA.

I am thinking that if you get a finger in there, you can count on losing your whole arm up to the shoulder....then you bleed to death!

chessnerd
July 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Well, I'd probably take out the HD and donate them to Goodwill or recycle them or something, but if you are determined to get some PC destruction you could try:

Roasting marshmallows over an open motherboard
Find someone who's having a wedding; who needs cans when you can have laptop cases on the back of the car?
Microwaves are always fun
A strength test for your trash compactor
Ever wondered if you could put a hole in a laptop with a high-powered hose? Don't wait for the MythBusters, try it yourself!
Go skydiving and try to get a Wi-Fi signal. If you do, Twitter about it. If you don't, let the thing fall.

Hope one of those was to your liking. ;)

lisati
July 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Go skydiving and try to get a Wi-Fi signal. If you do, Twitter about it. If you don't, let the thing fall.

You haven't been watching ads for Telecom NZ have you? (I know someone who knows the people in them)

chessnerd
July 5th, 2009, 07:50 AM
You haven't been watching ads for Telecom NZ have you? (I know someone who knows the people in them)

You mean this ad? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7rKS30tQBM

No, I haven't. I don't live in New Zealand, I'm from the US (Happy 4th...oh, look at the time...5th of July!).

Here, I'll put in another suggestion then:

Why pay for expensive paintball armor when you can use old laptops instead?

lisati
July 5th, 2009, 07:58 AM
You mean this ad? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7rKS30tQBM

Thats one of the series I was thinking of.... I understand from people I know that some were recorded in Taupo.

jms1989
July 5th, 2009, 09:43 AM
You could pretend to be a mad scientist and perform experiments on them to make them go up in a puff of smoke or flames without charging 120 or 240 volts of power directly through its dc power port.

The Toxic Mite
July 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I would destroy your laptops with a sledgehammer.

Blacklightbulb
July 7th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Run windows on them.
Ok besides the fact that they are too old....

What about some him amperage?

What if you do a test of physical endurance and record it and them show which one is still running.

Otherwise give them to a child. Idk but my nephew disassembles (and usually ruins) everything at hand. He's 8 and once he disassembled half of my sistes's wash-machine:lolflag:.

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Offer them to people that need them. Destroying things that other people may enjoy is ridiculously selfish. That's my 2 cents.

kashey_be
July 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM
donate/recycle

Gizenshya
July 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM
woot, found an example!

http://ifun.ru/view/73367

exactly the type of thing I'm looking to do :D (except more spectacular!)

ohh, the inspiration!

The Toxic Mite
July 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
woot, found an example!

http://ifun.ru/view/73367

exactly the type of thing I'm looking to do :D (except more spectacular!)

ohh, the inspiration!

LOL!

Stab the screen with a chefs' knife, then beat it up even further with a hammer! :lolflag:

montini
July 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM
ubuntu is all about right things. be consistent - don't pollute the nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

Gizenshya
July 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
^^^ You haven't seen some of the things I've seen :(

These are just old crappy laptops. They are half dead and dying. In fact, I'm just assuming they still work. I haven't actually started any of them up in about a year lol

But. If you want to talk about waste, now that I can do.

What most people don't realize is how wasteful MAJOR computer manufacturers are. I can't speak for all of them, but I strongly suspect that they all do.

ohh, and what do they do? You probably won't believe me, but they throw away computers by the hundreds. Not old, crappy ones. Ohh, no. Brand new, perfectly fine computers. All components. Mostly consumer stuff like brand new desktops, monitors, mices, hard drives, etc., etc. It made me sick every day. I eventually quit.

Don't bother asking which company I worked for. But I will tell you it was a MAJOR one for consumer desktop PC's. One of the big few. I'm not going to name any company names, either.

Ohh... and why do they do this? They don't want to sell more than a certain amount at reduced costs. Doing so would reduce the "perceived value" of computers, and it is also competition for their new models. If people can get perfectly good computers for cheaper, they wouldn't need the new models. It is all about the bottom line. It is cheaper for them to destroy perfectly good computers (to sell new models at inflated prices) than it is to sell those old computers. Giving them away would also make them competition for new models (sales will be reduced because some of the demand will be met).

All the big companies talk about the one-laptop-per-child stuff, and being assets to society, and all this other crap. Uhhh... BS!

There are many schools, especially in poorer neighborhoods that do without, while these computers are being destroyed. And not to mention those in other countries... Personally, I think it should be illegal for businesses to do that as a business practice. But hey, at least they are being recycled...

I am powerless to help, though. I am not part of the problem anymore, and I refuse to ever do business with the companies that I've heard do that.

And for a little bit of verification.

1. We didn't destroy the stuff ourselves, we outsourced it and sold them for scrap metal by the pound (which is essentially giving it away). I don't remember how much, but it was cents on the pound. We made the scrappers sign destruction agreements so that they would never be used. Then they supposedly dump them into shredders (probably like the one someone posted earlier), and that's the end of countless perfectly good, top-of-the-line computers.

2. We have to take out all the batteries before scrapping, for legal reasons. They have to be disposed of separately.

Now, if you still think what I want to do is greedy and wrong... ok. But, I think there are other trees you would rather bark at.

lisati
July 13th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I would destroy your laptops with a sledgehammer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090525/ ????

Leed
July 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Have a candle lit behind the screen while working on the laptop... and just wait & record while the heat burns a whole into the screen.... happened to my boss once in a restaurant

Glucklich
July 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
DuuuUuudeee!!! Sell them... you have people in another thread looking for a new laptop that don't have a lot of money. Make some money out of those.

montini
July 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Now, if you still think what I want to do is greedy and wrong... ok. But, I think there are other trees you would rather bark at.

Don't think so complex - all I was trying to say it's that if you shoot those notebooks in the air with a shotgun, you would pollute environment with their fragments.

And speaking about what You said - I don't get your logics there - so now, when You've seen what big companies are doing, You think You have an excuse to do it yourself?

I once knew a guy who was convinced that there are too many people in the world and all they pollute, so no one can make any difference - and that meant we can do it too because the world is going to end anyway. Now that was the "perfection" of human thought.....](*,)

swoll1980
July 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
^^^ You haven't seen some of the things I've seen :(

These are just old crappy laptops. They are half dead and dying. In fact, I'm just assuming they still work. I haven't actually started any of them up in about a year lol

But. If you want to talk about waste, now that I can do.

What most people don't realize is how wasteful MAJOR computer manufacturers are. I can't speak for all of them, but I strongly suspect that they all do.

Didn't your mama teach you that "Two wrongs don't make a right."?

The Toxic Mite
July 13th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Didn't your mama teach you that "Two wrongs don't make a right."?

That could be seen as a derogatory remark. :|

Gizenshya
July 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
What I want to do is a waste, I know. I'm not saying it is "right" in the sense that the word is being used here. I'm not trying to absolve myself of anything. It is not an excuse or explanation.

I just thought I'd share the story because it is related.

I'll just get more enjoyment out of my laptops this way. Nothing more, nothing less. The shotgun thing does worry me a bit. I want to be sure to dispose of all pieces properly, but the glass might be an issue. If I think I won't be able to get it all up, then I won't do it.

The Toxic Mite
July 13th, 2009, 06:49 PM
What I want to do is a waste, I know. I'm not saying it is "right" in the sense that the word is being used here. I'm not trying to absolve myself of anything. It is not an excuse or explanation.

I just thought I'd share the story because it is related.

I'll just get more enjoyment out of my laptops this way. Nothing more, nothing less. The shotgun thing does worry me a bit. I want to be sure to dispose of all pieces properly, but the glass might be an issue. If I think I won't be able to get it all up, then I won't do it.

Laptops don't have glass - just plastic, metal and silicon

Gizenshya
July 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
hmmm... I thought in the LCD screen there was a layer of glass?

There is a crack in my screen actually, and I didn't think plastic could crack like that. Of course, I could be wrong

*googles LCD screens*

beercz
July 14th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Melt them down (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1019203&postcount=45)