PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] after update, external HDD read only and one not detected

xfceuser
July 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
hi
I am using hardy 8.04.
I have an external ntfs hard disk via usb.
it was working before, as I had installed ntfs-3g and also ntfs config.

but 7 days ago after updating it has become read only, I cant change the content anymore. I tried ntfs config but it doesnt help.

I will appreciate a lot if you could help.

merlinus
July 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Is it being mounted by /etc/fstab? If so, you might post the contents of that file.

Alternatively, if mounted, navigate to it via nautilus and look at the permissions.

xfceuser
July 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
thanks for your reply.
the external HDD is at /dev/sdb but there is no entry for it at the /etc/fstab and changing the ntfs config also doesnt add anything to /etc/fstab, I am wondering how it gets mounted now without fstab?
can it be the problem?
also I am using thunar, which should not be the problem ( I tried it also on nautilus and ubuntu but the same problem), it says that the folder in the /media/ that the HDD is mounted is belonging to the root user, but I also run thunar as root and still couldn't edit anything on the HDD.

merlinus
July 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
What is the result of

sudo fdisk -l

and is the hdd plugged in all the time?

xfceuser
July 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
no I plug usb of HDD only sometimes,

the output is like this;
Disk /dev/sda
/dev/sda1 Linux
/dev/sda2 Extended
/dev/sda5 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1 HPFS/NTFS

so that the usb HDD is at /dev/sdb

when I want to make a folder or edit some thing it says "Failed ... operation not supported"

hal_bg
July 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I have the same problem but with my only HDD on my laptop
after the upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 /dev/sda2 stopped showing in nautillus computer view. Only /dev/sda3 is shown.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 5 40131 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 6 1917 15358140 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 * 1918 6487 36705867+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4 6488 19457 104181525 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 6488 7216 5855661 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 7217 19457 98325801 83 Linux

However sda2 can be mounted with mount command. It is annoying because hda2 is used as a common storage for win and linux, and the only thing I use windows is to sync my iphone. So sda2 is the place where I put music, videos apps then go to windoes just to sync the iphone.

Can anybody help?

hal

xfceuser
July 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
maybe this can help, does anyone know the exact step by step process that linux (ubuntu) does when one plugs in a usb drive till it gets mounted?

hal_bg
July 9th, 2009, 03:34 PM
looks like nobody can help...
maybe we should post a bug?!?

xfceuser
July 10th, 2009, 12:05 AM
i think maybe the problem can be solved by adding something to /etc/fstab but don't know exactly what, and moreover why before it was working fine only by nfs-config utility?

xfceuser
July 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM
on the external hdd, mounted as read-write, sometimes its possible to create a directory, sometimes not ...
it says "cant create the directory,operation not supported"
but sometimes it does!
another hdd mounted only as read-only!

ezsit
July 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM
on the external hdd, mounted as read-write, sometimes its possible to create a directory, sometimes not ...
it says "cant create the directory,operation not supported"
but sometimes it does!
another hdd mounted only as read-only!

Backup your data and expect the drive to completely fail at some point in the not-too-distant-future. Flaky drive behavior is usually a symptom of hardware failure.

xfceuser
July 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
maybe, but it was working fine before the update,and what about the other usb hdd that is mounted only read-only?

ftgibson
July 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hi All,
I have been having issues since upgrading my Ubuntu also. It would not recognize my usb thumb drive, my external Western Digital HD and I was about to give up. Alas I found the MountManager 0.2.6 in the Synaptic Package Manager. All probs seem to have been taken care of as of now. Let me know if this helps you mount your devices.

Sincerley,
Amie

xfceuser
July 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
so it seems that the mounting problem of usb hdd's after update happened to many peoples!
anyway, I couldnt install MountManager because of dependency problems.

xfceuser
July 19th, 2009, 02:56 AM
from here;
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#filecreate

it seems to be a bug of ntfs-3g, but how to update ntfs-3g to the latest version, I dont think that the ubuntu version is the latest one?

xfceuser
July 19th, 2009, 04:38 AM
so I installed latest ntfs-config and also ntfs-3g directly from their website (which are newer than the one that comes with ubuntu).

it only cannot be mounted automatically in thunar (it says that "you do not have enough privilege to mount ..."

but now I can manually mount and unmount the hdds in the terminal and everything works fine.