PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Login probelm

star_teck
July 4th, 2009, 07:19 PM
This is my first post here so if I make a mess of it please be understanding. I have had a quick look at the forum and didn't see anything similar to my problem.

I am operating Ubuntu as the first operating system along with XP home edition.

Today I upgraded to 9.04 and every thing has gone smoothly untill the reboot. It asked for a Username and pass word. Out with the trusty note book and I put in the username/pass I chose for the last upgrade a couple of weeks ago.

I used a username with all caps and a pass all lowercase I've tried just about every combination of upper and lower case and I'm still locked out.

Is there a back door I can use to get in and manage the accounts?

Star Teck
aka
Noel

merlinus
July 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Can you select recovery mode at the grub menu? If not, when you get to the user/password screen, try pressing Alt+Ctrl+F2, which will hopefully get you to a CLI.

Then enter

passwd username

and put in a new password.

star_teck
July 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks Merlin I'll give it a try

Noel

star_teck
July 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
No Joy!

I tried the recovery mode nothing in there to manage pass words.

Then I tried the Cntl > Alt > F2 and got a cursor with the Words...
Work - Living Room> Username:

What I really need is a back door or root username and pass

Noel

merlinus
July 4th, 2009, 08:27 PM
There is nothing there to manage passwords. What you want is a CLI (command line interface) where you can type the command I gave, same as though it was in a terminal window.

From recovery mode, once it finishes loading, you should be able to drop into a root shell prompt.

star_teck
July 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Merlin what can I say... When it comes to Linux I'm a newbie spelled with all caps

Nuff' of that

I found the CLI and of course put in the command > passwd username

Then, when it replied unknown username, I figured out it was supposed to be my user name (said I was green to this) I then tried all the user names I had in my book until I struck pay dirt!

I'm making this reply on the Ubuntu OS so as you can see it's working properly.

Many thanks

I have marked the subject line solved. I hope this is the way to close a successful thread

star_teck
aka
Noel

merlinus
July 4th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Glad you got it working. Often the best way to learn is to try, and try again. No mistakes, only learning opportunities.

Have fun!