PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ports not visible from outside

kehon
July 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM
i dont think my ports are forwarded because i cant access my ftp or webserver from outside the local network i can access it from another computer on the network but not from one outside of it and port scan websites say its not open can someone help me with this i've been trying for the longest to get it working also i'm using a dynex DX-WGRTR v1000 router

mamut0o1
July 4th, 2009, 04:05 PM
i dont think my ports are forwarded because i cant access my ftp or webserver from outside the local network i can access it from another computer on the network but not from one outside of it and port scan websites say its not open can someone help me with this i've been trying for the longest to get it working also i'm using a dynex DX-WGRTR v1000 router

have you forwarded the ports from the router?
it looks like you need to login into your router and make that change. If you have access to your server locally then you must open the same port your trying to access on your router.

kehon
July 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
yeah i already forwarded them forgot to mention that and i type in the ip i get from whatismyip.com and i cant get to them and if i goto canyouseeme.org it says my ports are closed

mamut0o1
July 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
yeah i already forwarded them forgot to mention that and i type in the ip i get from whatismyip.com and i cant get to them and if i goto canyouseeme.org it says my ports are closed

The ip you enter in your router must be your local IP not your WAN ip.

kehon
July 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
if i enter my local ip 192.168.2.* then yeah it works but i want to access it from my ip so that i can access it from another computer not on the local network but on the internet

mamut0o1
July 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
if i enter my local ip 192.168.2.* then yeah it works but i want to access it from my ip so that i can access it from another computer not on the local network but on the internet

Are you trying to connect you your WAN ip from home? if you are using the same wan ip to connect to your local network you wont get connected. you will need to do the test from your friends home or maybe you could try an open wireless network but it must be from a different WAN ip or try ctunnel that might work also.
I hope that helps.

mamut

kehon
July 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM
i tried through a proxy and through port scanner websites but it cant find them it says ports are closed well it really says connection timed out or connection refused

mamut0o1
July 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
i tried through a proxy and through port scanner websites but it cant find them it says ports are closed well it really says connection timed out or connection refused

Does your isp block those ports? I had them same problem with my apache webserver; I ended up changing the port for my webserver and it worked fine after that. I could never get it to work on port 80.

kehon
July 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
how can i tell if my isp blocks ports i'm with bellsouth/at&t