PDA

View Full Version : Automatix is B E A Utiful

leveliv
January 21st, 2006, 07:38 PM
I just wanna say thanks to who ever thought Automatix :)

it helped a total newb like me install all sorts of stuff :) goodbye microsoft
(just thought I would give credit to where its deserved)

Iandefor
January 21st, 2006, 08:03 PM
Arnieboy was the maintainer the last time I checked.

jeff--
January 21st, 2006, 08:54 PM
<3 Automatix.

poofyhairguy
January 21st, 2006, 09:27 PM
It is a VERY cool piece of software. We need to petition to get it in Dapper's Universe.

vayu
January 21st, 2006, 09:30 PM
It totally rocks. Thanks Arnieboy!

carl13
January 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM
I agree it is great. It solves most of the newbie, new installation issues and makes setting up a new installation a lot quicker.

Rackerz
January 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM
It is a VERY cool piece of software. We need to petition to get it in Dapper's Universe.

I'll second that one, it's very useful.

majikstreet
January 21st, 2006, 11:27 PM
I disagree.

We need to petition to get it in the dapper default install!

Disclaimer: never used automatix. have heard great things though.

DigitalDuality
January 22nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Much agreed :)

mstlyevil
January 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM

Here Here !

eMuNiX
January 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Used automatix in my last Kubuntu install and it saved quite a bit of time, excellent stuff :)

mike998
January 22nd, 2006, 11:29 PM

Isn't there problems with the fact that it installs non-free stuff?

Vlammetje
January 22nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
I imagine there would be.

Also.... other than the time saving, what really is the great advantage of automatix?

WildTangent
January 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
Arnieboy was saying the other night in the IRC channel that he wouldn't be continuing developement after the Breezy lifecycle. Whether or not this means he will modify it for Dapper, I don't know, It's better left to him to explain. As for why, I can understand. Automatix has taken a long time to develop, and Arnie puts a lot of work into it. I'm sure he has other things he could be doing. I hope someone starts where he finishes, without automatix, Dapper will be hard to get to my liking when it comes out.

-Wild

nandasunu
January 23rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Also.... other than the time saving, what really is the great advantage of automatix?

that is the whole point....

Arnieboy was saying the other night in the IRC channel that he wouldn't be continuing developement after the Breezy lifecycle.

I would be very dissapointed if there were no dapper version :(

bloodborne
January 23rd, 2006, 10:28 PM
Isn't there problems with the fact that it installs non-free stuff?

Depends on what country you are in, but yeah, the win32 and DVD codecs are not legal in the U.S.. As for Automatix, it rocks hard, I've used it to set up two installs and is a big reason I'm a new Linux user. It better be in the Dapper release. :)

galgoz
January 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
I believe there were some concerns because it uses force-all in the install process. However, I hear that EasyUbuntu will be available soon that does the same service and will be maintained in the Dapper release.