PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Side by Side is buggy

Archmage
July 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM
When installing Ubuntu 9.04 with the "side by side" option and a unparition space, Ubuntu is giving Windows nearly all the space and leaves itself with too less space to even install the upgrades.

I did have 2 TB-harddrive, install Windows with 50 GB only and after installing Ubuntu 9.04 with the side by side option it gives Windows 1.947 of the remaning 1.950 GB and gets for itself 3 GB only, leaving it unable to even upgrade all files.

merlinus
July 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
During partitioning there should have been a slider near the lower right of the screen that allowed you to adjust the amount of space for each one.

presence1960
July 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM
During partitioning there should have been a slider near the lower right of the screen that allowed you to adjust the amount of space for each one.

+1

How is the installer supposed to know how much to give Ubuntu unless you specify the size?

thiebaude
July 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
+1 also, I've done many dual boot's, i don't anymore because I just have Ubuntu 8.04 on this machine.Yep, you'll have to specify how much space to give to Ubuntu, therefore reducing the size of windows.

Archmage
July 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yep, you'll have to specify how much space to give to Ubuntu, therefore reducing the size of windows.

When it is 50 GB, how can you REDUCE it? And why is it 1.950.000 GB at the end?

I would find it much smarter, if it just take every free space that is there. At least it shouldn't increase the size of Windows up to 39.001 times of it was before.

lisati
July 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
W

I would find it much smarter, if it just take every free space that is there.

It can - if you tell it "Use largest continuous free space"