PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu and netbooks ...

rhdinah
July 4th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Not having gotten a single response for this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1201820) ... and that's okay ... is it safe to run regular Ubuntu on these netbooks such as the Acer with the Intel Atom processor without the ubuntu netbook remix? I am not liking the surprises I'm finding with the remix ... I'd rather just have my normal Jaunty running on it ... like being home ... thanks!

computerkid2000
July 4th, 2009, 07:23 AM
i use it too but right now compiz has problems! and i cant use ubuntu but it works!

Fzang
July 4th, 2009, 12:04 PM
The only difference between a netbook distro and a normal one is that the netbook distro is optimized for the netbook's small screen and touchpad. You should be fine running any normal distro

Flash858
July 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM
It runs great (as does Compiz) on my eeepc 1000HE. The remix is kinda cool looking, but if you are already used to Ubuntu, you would likely prefer the "regular" edition of Jaunty...

celticbhoy
July 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I use the the standard Ubuntu on my Aspire One, full Compiz, and Emerald. Just take some time to set fonts, window borders etc to your advantage.

computerkid2000
July 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Me too!

aysiu
July 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM
It's not only safe--I prefer it to the Netbook Remix. I use vanilla Ubuntu on my HP Mini, and it's great.

In fact, the Netbook Remix right now still uses the i386 Linux kernel, so it isn't optimized for the Intel Atom processor.

I use the lpia kernel with vanilla Ubuntu, and the lpia kernel is optimized for Intel Atom.

celticbhoy
July 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
what advantages do you get from that kernel?

KegHead
July 5th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hi!

I use the standard 9.04 distro on my mini 9 with no problems

KegHead

aysiu
July 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
what advantages do you get from that kernel?
Barely any... about ten more minues of battery life.

dawnlove
July 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I use xubuntu 9.04 on my eeepc 1000, I like xfce because I config. with one freely moveable panel, works nicely on small screen. everything works good.

rhdinah
July 6th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I will reinstall the normal Jaunty ... I assumed the remix had a special kernel as well as a lot of other stuff which is why the ubuntu netbook remix takes more space than a CDr can handle.

I spent so much time normalizing it up to remove all that clutter with the remix desktop to get it back to normal jaunty. I like a very clean desktop any more. Then I discovered this 'redesign' of the gnome keys ... which wound up being beyond frustrating!

Again thanks!

aysiu
July 6th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I will reinstall the normal Jaunty ... I assumed the remix had a special kernel as well as a lot of other stuff which is why the ubuntu netbook remix takes more space than a CDr can handle.

I spent so much time normalizing it up to remove all that clutter with the remix desktop to get it back to normal jaunty. I like a very clean desktop any more. Then I discovered this 'redesign' of the gnome keys ... which wound up being beyond frustrating!

Again thanks!
Actually the Ubuntu Netbook Remix, oddly enough, does not include the special lpia kernel.

And the lpia compiled stuff takes up less room, not more.

So I have no idea why the .iso for the UNR is so big.

rhdinah
March 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks ... using the standard Ubuntu works for me on both netbooks and notebooks ... as I wish to keep the same home directory synchronized in both cases ... and more importantly my look and feel.

To me the only advantage of netbooks are that they are lighter and easier to take with you. The only disadvantage is the lack of a CD/DVD re-writer ... which is easily solved by the occasional use of an external drive.

KegHead
March 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hi!

Update.

I use 10.10 desktop on my dell mini 9.

No issues.

KegHead