PDA

View Full Version : Window's Deadly Draw

MasterNetra
July 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Once again I'm forced to use windows... Even though with some issues I was able to use Adobe CS3 in a VM, now I need to use Magic Jack, which seems not to play well in VM and wouldn't be practical to VM as I need it running as often as possible, so with great dread I'm forced back to the dreaded windows platform which I'm trying to break from...*dies a little inside*

Giant Speck
July 4th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Cry me a river. :roll:

mynameinc
July 4th, 2009, 05:19 AM

But first learn that "Windows" has no apostrophe; no plurals in the English language (that I know of) are indicated using an apostrophe.

Giant Speck
July 4th, 2009, 05:49 AM
But first learn that "Windows" has no apostrophe; no plurals in the English language (that I know of) are indicated using an apostrophe.

Actually, I think he was trying to make the word Windows possessive, in which case he should have placed the apostrophe at the end.

SunnyRabbiera
July 4th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Well dont use magic jack!
Its probably a scam anyhow

cariboo
July 4th, 2009, 06:15 AM
If you have programs that only run in Windows, use Windows. I don't see what the problem is.

If you have more than 1 computer, run windows on one and a Linux distribution on the other.

juancarlospaco
July 4th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Whats Magic Jack?, theres no OpenSource alternative?, lets make one...

kidux
July 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Magic Jack is a scam that gives you a device that you plug into your computer that allows you to use it as a phone line. Evidently the software only works on Windows.

juancarlospaco
July 4th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Magic Jack is a scam that gives you a device that you plug into your computer that allows you to use it as a phone line. Evidently the software only works on Windows.

Something like Asterisk...?
im confused

CJ Master
July 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM

I can't +1 this enough, so I won't.

It's a freaking operating system. Does it work? Then I don't see the problem.

PurposeOfReason
July 4th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Something about the best tool for the job comes to mind here. I don't complain if I have to use a flat head screwdriver over a phillips because really, only one would work there. To fix this, I could bust out a dremel (which I use whenever I can BTW ;)) and make the phillips work, but that would be a wasted effort as the flat head works just fine. Now tie that all in with an OS. :KS

MasterNetra
July 6th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Magic Isn't a scam, it works, (no where near as well as a regular phone but it has to do for now). It works on the intel macs too, not just windows, However ,I don't have the cash to shell out for a mac computer so thats out of the question. -.- And No I don't have two Computers. :/ And the problem is I don't really want to use windows for a number of reasons. However, until I can find a decent paying job I need the use of a phone number in which the Magic Jack provides, there is also CS3 but I had little issue VMing that. (Minus random program glitches but meh.)

swoll1980
July 6th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Well dont use magic jack!
Its probably a scam anyhow

Not a scam! It works great, and I save about $500/year. I only pay $20/year for my phone service.

They are working on a Linux driver for it (supposedly)

I think it's funny how people who know nothing about something, can have all these bad things to say about it.

I myself hate using Windows, but I'm kind of forced to, by my reliance on the magic jack. I got it working in vmware perfectly. It wouldn't work in Vbox for some reason. When ever I have to do something processor, or memory intensive I have to log back into Windows. It ends up being annoying, so I use Windows way more than I would care too, which would be never if I didn't have to. I understand where the op is coming from.

swoll1980
July 6th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Magic Isn't a scam, it works, (no where near as well as a regular phone but it has to do for now).

It's crystal clear, if you have it set up right, and if you have a 9 Mb internet connection.

MasterNetra
July 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Not a scam! It works great, and I save about $500/year. I only pay $20/year for my phone service.

They are working on a Linux driver for it (supposedly)

I think it's funny how people who know nothing about something, can have all these bad things to say about it.

I myself hate using Windows, but I'm kind of forced to, by my reliance on the magic jack. I got it working in vmware perfectly. It wouldn't work in Vbox for some reason. When ever I have to do something processor, or memory intensive I have to log back into Windows. It ends up being annoying, so I use Windows way more than I would care too, which would be never if I didn't have to. I understand where the op is coming from.

Yay finally someone on my side and gets it! ^.^

It's crystal clear, if you have it set up right, and if you have a 9 Mb internet connection.

lol I'm on a wireless connection which is probably why, and have in Vista sense my XP cds crapped out. :/ Corrupted installs and all.