PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop problems.

Anarcyn
July 4th, 2009, 04:13 AM
My desktop has shrunk on me and now i cant set it out of 800 x 600. this wouldn't be a problem except that the rest of my desktop is set to a higher resolution and now i cant use many programs because the X's aren't seen on the screen at all.

Please help me out.

synapsys
July 4th, 2009, 04:21 AM
What do you mean the desktop has shrunk on you? What x's? Do you have a screenshot?

Anarcyn
July 4th, 2009, 04:35 AM
ok im REALLY new at this and dont know how to post screen shoots in Ubuntu but i can try to explain better. my screen resolution is at 800 x 600 BUT my ACTUAL resolution is set 1280 x 780 and the screen only shows the top left quarter of my whole desktop.

snakeman21
July 4th, 2009, 04:41 AM
So just to clarify: You're saying it's as if your screen is "zoomed in" on the upper left section of the screen, and you can't see anything else?

Anarcyn
July 4th, 2009, 04:47 AM
yes thats what i mean. a little bit more that i just remembered is that i was having some network trouble a while ago and one of the deamons starting acting up and that is what started this whole thing.

synapsys
July 4th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Open a terminal: Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal
and type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorgIf you can't get to the terminal because of the resolution, press CTRL+ALT+F1 to drop to terminal. Enter above command here. Then hit ALT+F7 to bring back desktop or CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

P.S. To get a screenshot in Ubuntu simply press 'print screen' key

Anarcyn
July 4th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Thank you for your help my desktop is finally back to the way is was.

Thanks again

synapsys
July 4th, 2009, 06:29 AM
No problem....

Remember that one... it's gotten me out of a couple jams...