PDA

View Full Version : floppy based distro?

sailthesea
July 4th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Hi Guys
I was hoping to resusitate a really old pc in order to recover a few pictures and files that were stranded on the HD when it died
Is there a teeny tiny ubuntu that will live session from a 3.5" floppy I can try? And where can I get it? :p
Thanks

calrogman
July 4th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Live Ubuntu session on a 3.5" floppy?

ಠ_ಠ

You could try tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net/rb/). But it is command line only and isn't intended for home use.

Gizenshya
July 4th, 2009, 04:18 AM
uhh... why would you want to do a crazy thing like that?

what I would do is take out the hard drive and either slave it or hook it up to a usb case. that way you have access to all your data with a full OS, and you have plenty of storage (assuming...) to backup your data.

And how were you planning on backing up your data once you booted? cd burner? network? modem?... I don't see a 1.44mb distro doing much with any of that...

sailthesea
July 4th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Live Ubuntu session on a 3.5" floppy?

ಠ_ಠ

You could try tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net/rb/). But it is command line only and isn't intended for home use.

Well that's a neat little bit of kit which I might investigate but it is a bit out my out of my league as far as compiling it!
Is there anything similar to download as in image to a floppy?
I do have a cd drive but I cant even get bios at the moment it looks fatal

sailthesea
July 4th, 2009, 04:39 AM
uhh... why would you want to do a crazy thing like that?

what I would do is take out the hard drive and either slave it or hook it up to a usb case. that way you have access to all your data with a full OS, and you have plenty of storage (assuming...) to backup your data.

And how were you planning on backing up your data once you booted? cd burner? network? modem?... I don't see a 1.44mb distro doing much with any of that...

I just wanted to get some old pix off it before I rip it open and make it into a server I was just curious about a super lite linbuntu that might work it I will recover the data however
The post above was promising and I may try it Theres nothin crazy about trying to keep something you dont want to lose is there?NO OFFENCE:p

credobyte
July 4th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Check this page : http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/ ;)

Gizenshya
July 4th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I said that 'crazy' sentence in jest-- My thinking at the time was, why do all that distro finding/installing when you can just take out the hard drive :) That's probably just because thats the way I usually do things lol I wasn't talking about backing up the data, of course I can see the importance of that ;)

I'm just wondering if a floppy-sized distro would be able to help you. There must be some place to put the files that you're backing up, and driver support on a release that small may be a crapshoot.

As a matter of fact, a friend of mine (who is well on her way to knowing a lot about computers) managed to screw up an OS, and it will need to be formatted. it is just waiting on me to backup the pics, which I will do with an external hard drive.

Ohh, btw, if the drive won't mount right, there may still be ways to get to the data. (as long as the hard drive didn't have a mechanical failure)

juancarlospaco
July 4th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Freesco, just like a tiny cisco router :)

Gizenshya
July 4th, 2009, 04:57 AM
named free, coming from cisco? the company that made the filters for the Great Firewall of China?

must... not... discuss... politics...

juancarlospaco
July 4th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Its Free, is not coming from cisco, the company that made the filters,
but not configured the Great Firewall of China.

Sublime Porte
July 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Well that's a neat little bit of kit which I might investigate but it is a bit out my out of my league as far as compiling it!

Must admit I haven't used tomsrtbt for about 6 years now, but I don't remember ever compiling it. It comes as a floppy image. Just because it's compressed, doesn't mean it needs to be compiled, just needs to be uncompressed, then written to floppy. And from memory it has both instructions for doing it from Linux or Windows/Dos.

named free, coming from cisco? the company that made the filters for the Great Firewall of China?

Freedom means having the freedom to write firewalls, even if you don't happen to agree with their application. Filtering software is used by most countries, for some purpose or another, China is no different.

Gizenshya
July 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM
sorry, I misread his statement. he was talking about sth similar to cisco's stuff, not cisco's stuff.

and NO, filtering technology is not used by anywhere near MOST countries! where did you come up with that? It is used by China, Iran, UAE, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Thailand and other such countries that abuse human rights. Ohh, and Australia (wtf? lol).

cmay
July 4th, 2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.fdlinux.com/
here is one.
there is more than one floppy based linux distro and i used a redhat 6.0 rescue floppy once as the only system i could run on a old pc. that scheme did not last very long however.

i did not try any of the linux on one floppy yet but i would like to know about it if one of them is suitable for this task and runs as i have a lot floppy disks lying around because i bought 10 packs with 100 in each for virtual nothing at a sale. never found a use other than saving stuff on freedos for them.

Yes
July 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I use BasicLinux (http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/), it works great.

jflaker
July 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Hi Guys
I was hoping to resusitate a really old pc in order to recover a few pictures and files that were stranded on the HD when it died
Is there a teeny tiny ubuntu that will live session from a 3.5" floppy I can try? And where can I get it? :p
Thanks

Best bet here is to get a $20 USB drive case and make the drive a portable system, then you will be able to get anything you want from the drive...

done that several times

Sublime Porte
July 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Ohh, and Australia (wtf? lol).

Yes our government wants to implement the largest internet filter on the planet. Anyway things like this just drive people to be more creative and hack their way through.

IMHO stupid countries implement filters, smart countries just listen in on your traffic covertly and send men dressed in black in unmarked vehicles to the homes of those who access the wrong sites.

sailthesea
July 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys
As it turns out I'll have to pull the drive and mount it as an external, something is very badly wrong
Some of those lightweight systems could be very useful in some situations though
Cheers
and calling me crazy isn't going to upset me It's the correct term for most of what I do!:p