PDA

View Full Version : HTC Hero compatibility with Jaunty

zfranciscus
July 4th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Hi,

After HTC launches HTC Hero I have been thinking to buy an HTC Hero Phone. I just would like to know about your experience with HTC Hero:

1. Does Jaunty recognize the phone when you connect it using the USB cable.
2. Is it easy to synch your contact or appointments to Jaunty?
3. Is it easy to transfer files from HTC to Jaunty and vice versa ?
4. Overall will you recommend me to get HTC Hero as a smart phone ?

Thank you

fuzzmo
July 5th, 2009, 12:44 PM
HTC Hero isn't out yet but Android phones supposedly 'just work'. By that I think it will show up as a device but more for storage i.e. you can drag and drop files on to it. As for synching - well I believe that is done over the air (OTA - via internet) to your Google Account - when you first start up an Android Phone, it will link it a google (gmail) account of your choosing - and it you don't have one then it will ask you to create one. You won't be able to use the phone without that step.

With regards to Exchange synching and synching with Ubuntu apps - I can't answer that as I don't have an Android phone but hopefully someone with an Android phone can enlighten you further....

muzungu
July 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM
As for synching - well I believe that is done over the air (OTA - via internet) to your Google Account - when you first start up an Android Phone, it will link it a google (gmail) account of your choosing - and it you don't have one then it will ask you to create one. You won't be able to use the phone without that step.

Boo... I was considering using an Android device with a hosted SyncML server but I guess that's not possible?

Call me old fashioned but I'm very hesitant to hand over all of my personal data to Google.

hanzomon4
July 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM
you're old!! you don't understand the young people

Mateo
July 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Not true, HTC Hero is not a google branded phone. You can log on to a google account using it, but you do not have to.

cb951303
July 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM
ah, it's such a beautiful phone. I think I'll buy one. I was waiting for a decent android phone.

I don't like the new gui idea though. why they even bother to modify android that way?

Coollie
July 31st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hi,

After HTC launches HTC Hero I have been thinking to buy an HTC Hero Phone. I just would like to know about your experience with HTC Hero:

Thank you

Answers:

1. Jaunty doesn't recognize the phone when you connect it using the USB cable.
2. Not tested
3. Not tested
4. Yes, I would :P

Glenn Jones
July 31st, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hey guys,

First off the HTC Hero is a very nice phone indeed and is my first smartphone. I have yet to test the functionality fully as my contract hasn't been updated and I dont want to stung by huge G3 roaming charges.

What I have recently tried out is syncing my music with the phone. The Hero mounts the micro SD card as an external device. So it should be easy to sync things via drag and drop. What I would like to know is which photo and media players support auto-sync capabilities with android?

The only syncing I've tried is via drag and dropping my music into a directory on the sd card called mp3. The mp3 player is quite nice and displays the album info and covers. I'm not sure on what formats the mp3 player is compatible with but I know that there are other players available for the phone form the android store. If you wish to auto-sync your music you can try this using songbird.

http://www.lateral8.com/2009/7/3/syncing-your-g1android-device-with-songbird.aspx

Banshee has Android G1 sync capabilities.

http://banshee-project.org/

I believe that you can sync your google email/calender etc as well as others with the phone, so your not tied down to google. The phone has full integration with facebook, flickr, and twitter. What's really cool is you contacts list included their facebook, twitter as well as the usual stuff.

http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/a-closer-look.html

I hope this helps. Could other people with a htc hero please give us a review/ hints and tips about their experience.

Cheers

Glenn

HappinessNow
July 31st, 2009, 12:00 PM
HTC Hero isn't out yet but Android phones supposedly 'just work'. The HTC Hero is out and you can currently buy one unlocked!

Simple Google Shopping search produces results:
http://www.google.com/products?q=HTC%20Hero%20unlocked&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

I like the HTC Hero in Brown (reminds me of Ubuntu)

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123063&d=1249038136http://www.auroracell.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/h/e/hero_br_1.jpg

Giant Speck
July 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM
I wonder if that picture is the actual size of the phone, because my iPhone is slightly bigger. :p

Glenn Jones
July 31st, 2009, 12:30 PM
The iPhone has a slightly bigger screen than the Hero

Giant Speck
July 31st, 2009, 12:31 PM
The iPhone has a slightly bigger screen than the Hero

That's what I thought.

HappinessNow
July 31st, 2009, 12:44 PM
I wonder if that picture is the actual size of the phone, because my iPhone is slightly bigger. :p

HTC Hero Dimensions: 112 x 56.2 x 14.35mm Weight: 135 grams (4.76 ounces) with battery

Display: 3.2-inch TFT-LCD display with a 320 x 480 HVGA resolution

iPhone Dimensions:

Height:4.5 inches (115.5 mm)Width:2.4 inches (62.1 mm)Depth:0.48 inch (12.3 mm)Weight:4.8 ounces (135 grams)Display:

3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi

Swarms
July 31st, 2009, 01:45 PM
The only problem I have with it, is the slow processor. :(

Glenn Jones
July 31st, 2009, 03:59 PM
The only problem I have with it, is the slow processor.

Is this based on experience? If so what apps processes make the phone slow?

The only time the phone is slow is when you boot up Android.

Based on my experience over the past week I've found the phone to be very responsive and quick after boot. Bear in mind I haven't used any heavy applications yet.

Swarms
July 31st, 2009, 04:48 PM
It is a two year old processor. They could have gone a bit further than using the Magic's insidings again.

Read here: http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/htc-hero-review/

Glenn Jones
July 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
I've read the review and I agree with you that they could have updated the processor. Do you know how this compares to the iPhone?

One point I will make is the use of an older processor doesn't necessarily mean the applications will be slow and unresponsive. It means the application developers have to program in an efficient manner. This efficiency only serves the Android and Linux community in the long term in my view.

geoken
July 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM
I've read the review and I agree with you that they could have updated the processor. Do you know how this compares to the iPhone?

One point I will make is the use of an older processor doesn't necessarily mean the applications will be slow and unresponsive. It means the application developers have to program in an efficient manner. This efficiency only serves the Android and Linux community in the long term in my view.

I don't know about the Hero, but on the G1 there is a definite difference noticeable in almost all tasks. For example, try and quickly scroll through a list in the preference section. On the iPhone, the list scrolls fast and smooth even though all list elements have icons. On the G1, the list is jittery and jumpy, even in areas were you're scrolling a pure text based list with no icons.

geoken
July 31st, 2009, 06:10 PM
ah, it's such a beautiful phone. I think I'll buy one. I was waiting for a decent android phone.

I don't like the new gui idea though. why they even bother to modify android that way?

They didn't really modify it that much. They added widgets (widgets are a core part of the android UI and you were always able to download and install new widgets in addition to the default android widgets) and re-skinned the more apps button.

I'm glad they did it, the 3 desktops wasn't enough for me. I had to install 3rd party apps to get more on my G1.

plb
July 31st, 2009, 08:38 PM
It is a two year old processor. They could have gone a bit further than using the Magic's insidings again.

Read here: http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/htc-hero-review/

Yeah, but at least the Hero has more RAM and a 5mp camera...I just ordered one btw :D

Swarms
July 31st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, but at least the Hero has more RAM and a 5mp camera...I just ordered one btw :D

Yeah that is nice, but the processor is just too important for me. So I am gonna wait some more time before ordering.

gnomeuser
July 31st, 2009, 09:17 PM
The only problem I have with it, is the slow processor. :(

And that ugly ugly chin.. what were they thinking?

james.paige
July 31st, 2009, 09:49 PM
I have the hero build on my G1 and it connects to jaunty fine.

Glenn Jones
July 31st, 2009, 10:22 PM
I have the hero build on my G1 and it connects to jaunty fine.

Any chance you could elaborate on this?

Cheers

DeadSuperHero
July 31st, 2009, 10:39 PM

From the reviews I've read, the chin actually makes it really usable to feel where the buttons are without looking at the actual phone. Apparently, it also fits comfortably on your face when making a call.

That said, I don't know how true that holds up for me. I just know that I really like the design of just about everything on the Hero, but currently there only seem to be pricey unlocked developer phones...sigh.

Rackstar
August 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM

It's also made for when the phone falls, it doesn't scratches the screen. I don't mind the chin.

Giant Speck
August 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM

It may have a five-megapixel camera, but I bet you the lens sucks. A larger number of pixels does not equate to a sharper picture.

Glenn Jones
August 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
It may have a five-megapixel camera, but I bet you the lens sucks. A larger number of pixels does not equate to a sharper picture.

This is quite true. I mean the iPhone has a 3 mega pixel camera and the photo quality is quite impressive. Based on my experience with the Hero the camera is very impressive the images very sharp event when you zoom.

I guess as can tell now I like the phone

[h2o]
August 1st, 2009, 10:02 AM
My experiences are with a HTC Magic (that's the HTC My Touch 3G for you americans), but they are supposedly *Very* similar.

Yes. After connecting the phone the mounted SD card will show up in Jaunty.
[/quote]

The only calendar shipped with my Magic is the Google Calendar, which is always in sync with your Google calendar. There are probably other calendar applications that can be used for other services.

Dead easy. See 1.

I personally think the Magic looks better and there has allegedly been some issues about the speed of the user interface. But it seems like everyone who has actually bought one are pleased with it.
I am extremly pleased with my Magic.

Swarms
August 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM
BTW. the build quality of the Hero should be superb compared to the Magic which is feeling too much like plastic.

Rackstar
August 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM
BTW. the build quality of the Hero should be superb compared to the Magic which is feeling too much like plastic.

It actually has a layer of Tefal (anti-stick layer) to prevent greasy fingerstains. Texting and burgers, the new combo!

Timbe
August 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM
I am also considering buying a Hero.
Now, having read through quite a lot of reviews, they all say that it is slow. It sounds like it is not usable at all. So how slow is it? I do not want too many widgets, I want to use Android apps and perhaps try to program some myself. Will they be hardly usable? Also what about the GPS module? I would like to navigate around without connecting to the Internet, will this be possible?

hanzomon4
August 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Same here.. I'd hold out for better/faster hardware

Glenn Jones
August 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
I've had a quick look on youtube and found this comparison between the HTC Hero and iPhone. Very interesting seing the comparison between both phones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5F0Ruzwos8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xMUEhFBJ8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1zvj5YDy4&feature=channel

Hope this helps people

Cheers

HappinessNow
August 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
I've had a quick look on youtube and found this comparison between the HTC Hero and iPhone. Very interesting seing the comparison between both phones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5F0Ruzwos8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xMUEhFBJ8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1zvj5YDy4&feature=channel

Hope this helps people

CheersThanks for the links for videos by Noah, I have to say after watching the dog fight between the iPhone and the Hero, The Hero wins hands down for me.

Like Noah says the iPhone represents the past, I see the iPhone booming on the Tween market, The Hero is much more professional, and has much more potential. I see the HTC Hero better as is (as video shows in the Dog Fight beyond Noah claiming the iPhone wins) anyone can clearly see that the HTC wins!

I am definitely going to buy the HTC Hero over the iPhone Tween machine after watching Noah's Dog Fight videos!...with that said the Tween market is booming and the iPhone may get more users only because it is like candy for tweens. The Hero represents a more mature choice overall.

Glenn Jones
August 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
Now, having read through quite a lot of reviews, they all say that it is slow. It sounds like it is not usable at all. So how slow is it? I do not want too many widgets, I want to use Android apps and perhaps try to program some myself. Will they be hardly usable?

As you can see form the videos the Hero is slow relative to the iPhone. This is only true when accessing external files since the iPhone uses flash memory and the Hero uses sd cards. Also the response of the Hero to re-sizing in web browser mode is slower wrt to the iPhone. It remains to be seen if HTC's software updates can improve the speed of the these.

Watch the videos and see for yourself

Also what about the GPS module?

Yes there is a built in GPS module.

Timbe
August 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM
For those who still think about buying the phone:
I ordered it despite the reviews saying that it was slow and it is a great phone. It is not slow at all. I have experienced not a single lag when using it and the apps and interface are great. Connecting the phone to my laptop also went extremely well (at least for the SD Card, I haven't tried if you can use it as a modem). If you are considering buying it, I can only recommend it.

Pat Benson
August 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I ordered it despite the reviews saying that it was slow and it is a great phone. It is not slow at all. I have experienced not a single lag when using it and the apps and interface are great. Connecting the phone to my laptop also went extremely well (at least for the SD Card, I haven't tried if you can use it as a modem). If you are considering buying it, I can only recommend it.

I have been reading and viewing alot about this phone last couple of days, and as far as I have read from people who got it, it's all been positive.
Almost all reviews have stated that Android wasn't really ready to ship, and that most seem to think (or hope) that some patches will solve any lagg that has been, I deffo hope so :)

If Hero will work to sync with *buntu, this is a dream come true. Of course it's possible to sync thru google, but I want the choice not to be dependant on google, for the same reasons I don't run Windows.

Have anyone tried Hero with Ibex, if so, how are the sync possibility's?

I will have a look on this phone hands on later this week, and if there isn't a major issue I'll buy one.

Bukunut
August 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hi All,

Love the Hero, works great and would not say it is slow at all. If there is one gripe then it is the camera pics are not the best (but that depends on the light available when taking pics) and no flash either.
Very good phone indeed.

P.s. AFAIK the coated version of the phone is only the white one for now I believe.
regards - bukunut

heldal
August 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hi All,
P.s. AFAIK the coated version of the phone is only the white one for now I believe.

The brown one must be coated with something too. The back of it is real sticky against the surface of a table or similar.

HappinessNow
August 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM

I didn't believe the negative hype, it sounded almost as if Apple was paying people under the table to give it negative reviews

Hi All,

Love the Hero, works great and would not say it is slow at all. If there is one gripe then it is the camera pics are not the best (but that depends on the light available when taking pics) and no flash either.
Very good phone indeed.

regards - bukunut

The Brown HTC Hero is available unlocked.

zekopeko
August 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
The Brown HTC Hero is available unlocked.

Brown...It should be at home in Ubuntu.

holbech
September 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM
My experience

Thank you

1. Oh yes, the phone asks if it is to be used as an usb pen, and you can drag and drop your music etc (sorry, no flac support)
2. I (and the hero) prefer google contacts/calendar. If you are willing to use those, you are in for a treat. Very simple, always updated. I use plugins for thunderbird to store my things at google to.
3. See 1 :-)
4. Yes, definitely. Using it as a modem even works out of the box.

The only drawback i've encountered is that the update to HTC Sense is for windows only, so I guess I need to go back to dualbooting

myscam
October 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hi,

Thank you

Hello friends,
Yes do not hesitate for one min. I have got a Hero since 2 weeks, it is really phenomenal.

For example, without seriously expecting it to work, I connected the hero to my laptop which was running Ubuntu hardy Heron. I then enabled the network sharing feature on the Hero, and without any announcements or trouble, I was able to surf at a very good speed using only the GPRS. It is just fast enough even for skype calls to landlines, which is remarkable.

Connecting it in the same way to Windows XP is also possible, but a bit more complicated ; who needs windows now anyway?

Good Luck

treesurf
October 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I've had my unlocked Hero for a couple weeks now and I'm pretty pleased with it. So far it has interfaced with Jaunty and Gmail flawlessly.

I highly recommend getting the free app Taskiller from the Android Market. it allows you to monitor RAM usage and kill unnecessary background apps, or apps that don't close completely so that you can keep things running as snappily as possible.

kaivalagi
October 15th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I've had the Hero since it was available sim free in the UK and am very pleased with it. For day to day use it is excellent, I have also started android development using it instead of an emulator to test with and couldn't be happier. I thoroughly recommend this phone if you can't wait for a snapdragon (http://www.qctconnect.com/products/snapdragon.html#Technical%20Features%20for%20QSD8x 50%20chipsets) based one when they eventually arrive :)