PDA

View Full Version : Boot manager

jonathanm
January 21st, 2006, 06:34 PM
Just curious to see which boot managers people use, im using grub with windows, this is my first poll so it may not work!!

Jaygo333
January 21st, 2006, 06:37 PM
Just curious to see which boot managers people use, im using grub with windows, this is my first poll so it may not work!!

I don't see the poll?
Where is it. Anyway, I use GRUB too.
At the moment its crashed and trying desperately to fix it but later on, I think I'll switch to GAG.

:h34r: Jaygo333 :h34r:

jonathanm
January 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM
You were too quick, i hadnt submitted it yet

Jaygo333
January 21st, 2006, 06:41 PM
You were too quick, i hadnt submitted it yet

I see it now. Sorry, thought it was old. At the New Posts page, your post is near the bottom and thought it was posted earlier.
Sorry for the mistake.;)

:h34r: Jaygo333 :h34r:

carl13
January 21st, 2006, 07:07 PM
Is there any reason that people (who participated in this poll) use Grub over Lilo?

jonathanm
January 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM
its probably because grub is ubuntu's default bootloader

JAwuku
January 21st, 2006, 07:20 PM
How does the solitary Windows user in the poll above, boot Ubuntu via the Windows boot manager?

Azion
January 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM
its probably because grub is ubuntu's default bootloader

True and it works

jonathanm
January 21st, 2006, 07:30 PM
i dont boot ubuntu from windows bootloader, i boot windows ;)
grub loads first with ubuntu as default but i have a windows chainloader to boot windows. Maybe its not clear from the poll, i voted for both grub and windows

SilentCacophony
January 21st, 2006, 07:31 PM
I voted grub, as it's what I currently use. I am using it because it's the ubuntu default, and it's quite flexible.

In the past, I used Ranish Partition Manager's (http://www.ranish.com/part/) bootloader. I used it to mutiboot several versions of Windows/DOS, but it can be used to boot linux in cunjuntion with a linux bootloader, such as grub or lilo, as long as the linux loader is installed to the specific partition that the linux installation is on (rather than the MBR.)

Mighty Mik
January 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM
112.5%?!?!?!?!

jonathanm
January 21st, 2006, 07:36 PM
i think its confused

mstlyevil
January 21st, 2006, 07:41 PM
112.5%?!?!?!?!

It's a mutiple vote poll. If a user votes twice then both poll answers recieve the count and the percentage.

briancurtin
January 21st, 2006, 07:42 PM
Is there any reason that people (who participated in this poll) use Grub over Lilo?
its default and it works.
it was default on suse and fedora core, as well as currently in ubuntu

i dont need a lot out of my bootloader. i dont dual boot, and i dont do anything special with booting, i just want it to load the proper kernel and start up. grub does it just fine for me

carl13
January 21st, 2006, 10:27 PM
How does the solitary Windows user in the poll above, boot Ubuntu via the Windows boot manager?

Its been a whlie since I have used it but from what I remember you can dual boot os's with the windows bootloader.

Ptero-4
January 27th, 2006, 06:43 AM
I use the Mac's built-in bootloader (Press Option at startup and you'll see a GUI OS selector).

mimp
April 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM
I voted grub, as it's what I currently use. I am using it because it's the ubuntu default, and it's quite flexible.

In the past, I used Ranish Partition Manager's (http://www.ranish.com/part/) bootloader. I used it to mutiboot several versions of Windows/DOS, but it can be used to boot linux in cunjuntion with a linux bootloader, such as grub or lilo, as long as the linux loader is installed to the specific partition that the linux installation is on (rather than the MBR.)

Ooh, I'm using ranish at the mo - how do i tell the installer to put grub on my linux partition instead of the MBR? don't remember being given the option.
Also, does it matter if i use ext3 or ext2 to format my ubuntu partition as ranish only recognises ext2?
Once i've done it is booting just a matter of selecting the linux partition as bootable under ranish and pressing go?
Soz for all the questions..

GarethMB
April 3rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Use grub because it came with it and it works. I've recently switched to initNG though.

ssam
April 3rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
yaboot, though i look forward to grub working on ppc