PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Layout

Mister LinOx
July 4th, 2009, 03:02 AM
It's been a few weeks since I posted here, so since I have a reason to post, let's get on with it. :)

I have used the QWERTY layout all of my computing and typing years and I still don't like it as much even though I can 'touch type'. I have looked a little into the Dvorak layout and how people feel it's a lot easier, so I am asking you guys: Should I try and learn it? How hard is it to learn on a scale from 1-10 and how long?

Also, so I don't create this thread only for a minor question, what layout do you prefer? Reasons?

I dislike QWERTY for a few reasons, but mostly because it makes certain characters difficult. For example, [beginrant] the very little bit of BBCode I put above made me pause for a few seconds to hit the correct brackets and slash. [/endrant]

cariboo
July 4th, 2009, 03:21 AM
If you want to try Dvorak, go ahead and try it, If you don't like using it, you can also go back to using qwerty.

I personally use qwerty, and I an very happy with my Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 with the layout detected on install, every thing works but the zoom control in the middle.

LookTJ
July 4th, 2009, 03:25 AM
And there's also Colemak :guitar:. It takes awhile to used to a different layout after using QWERTY for so long.

MikeTheC
July 4th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I tried getting into Dvorak here a few months back, but the problem is that the effort to re-learn such a basic skill as typing is non-trivial. I gave up after a couple weeks.

In truth we should have universally switched to Dvorak in the 1960s, but that never happened any more than switching to the Metric system, and now look at the crap that we're in.

I'm not trying to badmouth Dvorak in any way. It's a very worthy layout, and there are numerous people out there who make use of it on a daily basis. So, if you're sitting there waiting for me to pounce on you and call you an idiot for wanting to switch, well... Sorry, that's not going to happen. :p