PDA

View Full Version : GTK chromium

adscorp
July 4th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Wow chromium is really starting to mature, flash is sort of half working (only with sound)and the gtk theme is starting to come together.
I'm really excited to see the ongoing development especially with Chromium being so much faster the Firefox and even Epiphany.

http://imgur.com/iwPcd.png

Tipped OuT
July 4th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Wow, yes I agree, it coming along nice.

Sand & Mercury
July 4th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Just found this today. It's awesome.

Giant Speck
July 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
What version of Chromium is this? Because I'm getting Chromium from the chromium-daily repository, and mine still looks the same. No color differences or icon differences at all.

Sand & Mercury
July 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM
What version of Chromium is this? Because I'm getting Chromium from the chromium-daily repository, and mine still looks the same. No color differences or icon differences at all.
Look under Options > Personal Stuff

Giant Speck
July 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Look under Options > Personal Stuff

Ah, okay.

It looks nice with light themes, but horrible with dark themes. :neutral:

koleoptero
July 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Wow, they're really working on it. It's strange to see such development in a program for Linux. :lolflag: I'm waiting for a stable release anxiously.

Giant Speck
July 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Oh, this is so strange but so oddly cool! I can play Pandora in Chromium now after copying the flash plugin from the Firefox plugins folder to the Chromium plugins folder.

The weird thing is that I can hear the music, but I cannot see the controls!

kpkeerthi
July 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Awesome. Will it have a plugin system akin to firefox? Or atleast Adblock Plus? :)

JerecDrak2
July 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I'm loving Chromium, it's so much faster than Firefox! I'm using it as my default browser, and only use Firefox when there's Flash content I want to see. I can't wait for the final product!

sdowney717
July 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
http://tinyvid.tv/

uses html5 video
I can play this with the new firefox 3.5 ok
Chromium cant play or plays a few seconds then becomes unresponsive.
can any of you try these OGG video files and see

hyperdude111
July 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM
OP - What are your theme settings? from what the screen shot shows you have some good looking desktop. Care to share?

adscorp
July 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
OP - What are your theme settings? from what the screen shot shows you have some good looking desktop. Care to share?

Hi,Thanks!
I am using Human Murrine with the tabs on the top taken from the Ubuntu Netbook remix. The border is eGTK taken from Gnome look(I also like elementry) My icons is GNOME colors and I'm using Futura font.

The Chrome Version is shown in the screeny below.
http://imgur.com/JK5AH.png

Yashiro
July 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I can't use this browser until they fix the terrible font rendering.

keiichidono
July 5th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I can't use this browser until they fix the terrible font rendering.

What are you talking about? The font rendering is awesome, and if it's broken you can fix it now. ;)

captaincrook
July 6th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Does it track your surfing habits and so on like Google Chrome does? I'd wait for SRWare Iron since all tracking stuff is removed, but development on Linux is rather slow and its in Alpha still.

Giant Speck
July 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM
What are you talking about? The font rendering is awesome, and if it's broken you can fix it now. ;)

I think he's talking about the font rendering on the webpages themselves. The fonts look terrible.

X-BANE
July 6th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Does it track your surfing habits and so on like Google Chrome does? I'd wait for SRWare Iron since all tracking stuff is removed, but development on Linux is rather slow and its in Alpha still.

What have you got to hide?

swoll1980
July 6th, 2009, 04:56 AM

Ha ha! You think it's cool for someone that you don't know, to be standing over your shoulder, watching everything that you do. That's pretty funny. :lolflag:

captaincrook
July 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM

Who wants to know? ;)

Have a look here (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php).

murderslastcrow
July 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Mmmm... this'll look delicious on my machine. I just reinstalled 9.04 with ext4 (totally rockin'), so I need to get Chromium again. It'll be nice to switch from Kazehakase and Epiphany-webkit builds to this when flash is fully functional.

stwschool
July 6th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Chromium is very nice. It's particularly useful on netbooks, as it's lightning fast compared to firefox (even compared to Swiftfox which I use day-to-day).

X-BANE
July 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
It just needs full flash playback & font smoothing. Then it's pretty much ready for beta.

murderslastcrow
July 7th, 2009, 04:14 AM
It really is pretty fast. Kazehakase is pretty much right on the tail of Chrome's performance. The scrolling is struggling to much to be smooth in Chrome, unfortunately (needs the Windows options to disable this at the moment), but altogether quite nice. I like the GTK theming, even with my dark Mira v2 theme. I hope they integrate the buttons from our themes instead of having an extra title bar. It'd be nice to have the extra visual space.

X-BANE
July 7th, 2009, 04:27 AM
It really is pretty fast. Kazehakase is pretty much right on the tail of Chrome's performance. The scrolling is struggling to much to be smooth in Chrome, unfortunately (needs the Windows options to disable this at the moment), but altogether quite nice. I like the GTK theming, even with my dark Mira v2 theme. I hope they integrate the buttons from our themes instead of having an extra title bar. It'd be nice to have the extra visual space.

Spanner>Options>Personal Stuff tab>GTK Theme button

RTrev
July 7th, 2009, 05:38 PM
How are most people getting Chromium? From the daily builds repository at Sourceforge? Is that the best way to stay up to date on this?

steeleyuk
July 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I get mine from the PPA.

RTrev
July 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I get mine from the PPA.

Meaning adding the repository ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu?

Sorry, I'm pretty new to the Linux world. There are so many ways to do everything. <g>

steeleyuk
July 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Yep, thats the one.

RTrev
July 7th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Yep, thats the one.

Thanks!

dawnlove
July 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
anyone know the run command [for panel quicklaunch in xubuntu] for chromium

moster
July 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
chromium-browser

edit:
When I am not sure how it is called I search in /user/bin for shell script that has chromium in its name. Maybe there is better way but you can do it like this too.

dawnlove
July 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM
thanx I left out the [-]

adscorp
July 8th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Good news! Flash now works!

http://imgur.com/LkzLI.png

dawnlove
July 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
how do you load flash plugin? thanx

yuli_capone
July 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hey,what it's the diffrent between Google Chrome and Chromium Web Browser?
I have both installed....

Giant Speck
July 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
how do you load flash plugin? thanx

Check out my thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1207863

Tipped OuT
July 9th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hey,what it's the diffrent between Google Chrome and Chromium Web Browser?
I have both installed....

Same exact thing, Google Chrome is just the Chromium Web Browser with Google colors and logo.

yuli_capone
July 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks,I uninstalled Chromium...

chucky chuckaluck
July 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Check out my thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1207863

had to change it a little for arch, but it works. thanks.