PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] kernel upgrade and grub entries

stoppage
July 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Part of a recent Hardy upgrade included an updated kernel version to 2.6.24-24. I decided on the option to retain current grub entries. Now synaptec shows 2.6.24-24 as installed and „uname -r „ returns 2.6.24-23. If I change grub entries will I then be using latest kernel? Obliged for any help here.

drs305
July 4th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Yes. You can manually edit /boot/grub/menu.lst or install and use StartUp-Manager. It's a great gui app that tweaks the menu.lst file. You can set the menu display, timeout, default kernel to use, number of kernels to display and much more. There is a link on how to use it in my signature line (StartUpMgr).

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

System, Administration, StartupManager to start once installed.

stoppage
July 4th, 2009, 04:09 AM
One more question....when editing grub do I also change kernel details on (recovery mode) entry? And that's a great app., thank you

drs305
July 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM
One more question....when editing grub do I also change kernel details on (recovery mode) entry? And that's a great app., thank you

If you are referring to changing the default starting kernel, you don't have to change anything in the details of the recovery kernel. StartUp-Manager changes a value for the operating kernel - the recovery mode kernel is not automatically selected but remains directly below it's associated kernel option.

If you are 'removing' a kernel via SUM, it 'removes' the recovery mode option as well and you don't have to manually do anything. The word 'remove' is in quotes because the kernel/recovery mode options only remove the options from the menu, they continue to reside on the computer unless removed by synaptic or the command line. But both the kernel and recovery modes are 'removed' from the display at the same time.

It works the same with regard to the recovery option with actually removing the kernels via synaptic - removing the kernel removes both the kernel and the recovery mode options from the menu AND the machine. Note the recovery mode really is not a different piece of software, it is just a slightly different command line (the word "single" is added).

So unless you are manually removing a kernel entry from menu.lst, everything is taken care of automatically regarding the recovery mode entry. If you manually edit menu.lst, remove both the kernel and recovery mode options.

stoppage
July 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Understood. Thanks for the help.