PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with my Website.

imhdd
January 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM
Hello Ubuntu Community. I'm a newbie and I don't really know where to post this question, so I'll try here. (I feel sort of out of place, being a newbie at 73 years old, ha. At this age it's hard to be new at anything.)

I have a personal Website. I built it using an editor called Web Studio, which is a great program optimized for use in IE. I began using Firefox 1.5 with Windows and I had to do a lot of work to make my site compatible with both browsers - but it worked.

Now that I'm trying to learn Kubuntu, my site doesn't view correctly with Firefox 1.0.7.
Does anyone know whether it's because Firefox for Windows is different from Firefox for Linux; or is it because my Windows version is 1.5 and my Linux version is 1.0.7?

My site totals 240 pages and covers several topics. Revising it all over again is not an option that I want to persue. The address is:

http://imhdd.ms11.net/

Thank you for any suggestions.

BWF89
January 21st, 2006, 06:25 PM
The website worked just fine on my Windows XP box running Firefox 1.5 when I enabled JavaScript for your website.

mstlyevil
January 21st, 2006, 06:33 PM
It is displaying correctly on Ubuntu 5.10 with FF 1.5 and java script enabled also. If you want to install FF 1.5 and some other apps the easy way here is a link to Automatix. Automatix is a graphical interface for new users that installs the most popular software and codecs for you. You only have to copy and paste two commands in the terminal to install Automatix and the rest is done by GUI.

Automatix (Firefox1.5) (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=80295)

imhdd
January 21st, 2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks BWF89. I didn't know how it would look in XP. I and most of my friends still use Win98SE. Can you try it with Firefox in Linux?

Virogenesis
January 21st, 2006, 06:38 PM
I've had a look at your website and noticed within your source code that you've used absolute positioning for your divs.
This is a bad thing as you're specifing the exact pixel for what ever.
Instead of using mass divs use the paragraph tag which is <p>.
Have a look at alistapart.com its the best website for webdesign its pretty advanced stuff but its useful to learn.

ubuntu27
January 21st, 2006, 06:46 PM
I can see your website without any problem.

Now that you are in Kubuntu, why don't you try using Nvu (http://www.nvu.com) [N-view] for your websites?

Nvu is like Microsoft Frontpage which is WYIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) [Though not the same ofcourse] ;) There is also WIndows Version :)

Here is the Nvu website: http://www.nvu.com/

In Ubuntu, you can get it by:

sudo apt-get install nvu

imhdd
January 21st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for help.

mstlyevil, I'll try your suggestion, and appreciate your help.

-----------------------

Virogenesis, I'll check the site that you suggest. I know very little about Linux and even less about HTML. I do understand several tags. My editor does most of that for me. I'm very active at my age but I know there isn't a lot of time to devote to extensive study of HTML or Linux so I have to take whatever shortcuts are available. Thank you for advice.

Virogenesis
January 21st, 2006, 06:57 PM
I'm going to be extremely nice since its a non profit site and help you get that front page of yours sorted as I can do it pretty quick as that is what I've trained for might aswell put my skills to good use.

imhdd
January 21st, 2006, 07:07 PM
ubuntu27, I'll try it.

From the replies I've received thus far, I think it's the Firefox 1.0.7 that I use with Kubuntu that's causing my problem. I'd better update to 1.5.

You people are GREAT. I've never had such fast and complete help on any forum. I'm pleased to now be a part of it.

All this posting makes me thirsty. Going to pause for a cup of mountain grown coffee.

ubuntu27
January 21st, 2006, 07:15 PM
ubuntu27, I'll try it.

From the replies I've received thus far, I think it's the Firefox 1.0.7 that I use with Kubuntu that's causing my problem. I'd better update to 1.5.

You people are GREAT. I've never had such fast and complete help on any forum. I'm pleased to now be a part of it.

All this posting makes me thirsty. Going to pause for a cup of mountain grown coffee.
Yep, then this is your to do list:

Upgrade your Firefox 1.0.7 to 1.5

and install Nvu for web eiditing ;)

Problem solved :D

ah! Welcome to the ubuntu Community imhdd !! ;)