PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot Boot to my new install - not dual boot

Barefootpanda
July 3rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
I checked to see if this has been discussed and the thread seemed to die off so I'm posting again. If I missed a thread sorry guys.

I'm attempting a new install on a clean system. I am running an ASUS P5k WS (workstation board) and Celeron 430 (I know this needs to be beefed up soon)

Problem: When I install to a drive the installer finished and the system reboots. When it goes to find a boot device the cursor jumps from line 1 on the screen to about line 5 and stops. No flashing. No loading. No splash screen. It just stops and there is no drive activity.

I can boot to a live session, install, see all kinds of different drives in different configurations.

I have attempted different drives, multiple drives in at once, single drive, remove all PCI cards, bios settings for days.

I can boot and install other OSes with the same configuration (FreeNAS, CentOS, etc.) just fine. I have even tried different downloads and burns thinking maybe I had a bad CD.

ANY ideas would be great. I'd like to get back on Ubuntu with this new system.

UPDATE: Also, 9.04 i386

UPDATE 2: SATA Drives, "Use whole disk" and no other partitions at all.

Barefootpanda
July 3rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
After MUCH pain I finally figured it out. All is well. I'm not sure what I did, but it works now :)

The one thing I can remember was to set my DVD as CS instead of Master. Not sure if that was the trick but it worked.

philcamlin
July 3rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
good to see that it works!