PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome or kdk

asliyanage
July 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
what are the differences of these this ,what is the emaning of linux flawers?in ubuntu flawers all kernerl is same or diferent?

decoherence
July 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
GNOME and KDE are desktop environments -- the basic GUI portion of the system. Which one to use is a matter of preference. KDE came first but some people didn't like the license that it's basis came with, so GNOME was born.

The license problem with KDE was "fixed" long ago, but GNOME had gained traction, so we still have both.

The kernels are generally the same, however the server edition of Ubuntu comes with a kernel tuned for server work and the virtual appliance version of Ubuntu (JeOS) has a kernel tuned for running in a virtual environment.

The kernels are generally interchangeable. The only difference is in how they are configured, or 'tuned.' You can run the server kernel on the desktop version of Ubuntu, if you have some reason to.

When people talk about linux flavours, they're generally referring to the different distributions. Ubuntu, Fedora and SuSE are different "flavours." Within the Ubuntu community, "flavours' can refer to Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu vs. Xubuntu, etc but there is no hard and fast rule for how to use the term.

Fzang
July 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
In short: GNOME and KDE are desktop enviroments. They basically define how your applications will act and look like. KDE uses one kind of keyboard shortcuts, one kind of interface design, while GNOME uses another one. It's all a matter of preferences.

As previous poster said, the kernel is the same, so drivers are the same, they can run same applications, they're both equally linux.

philcamlin
July 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
kde is more customizable with themes and such

Pogibry
July 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
i've played with both and I agree with the person above me. It is a bit more customizable but I have gone with the thought that since the default is gnome, i'm just going to learn that first, then when i feel comfy with it, i'll start playing with kde

Yvan300
July 4th, 2009, 12:52 AM
KDE generally requires more system resources than Gnome