PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Explain studio please ???

NOTAGEEK
July 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
HELLO---In my umbuntu readings i came across "umbuntu studio" and could use an explaination in "basic english" as what i read got too technical for me...

My objective is video, audio, burning vinyl to disc, etc...

Is studio what i should be looking at ???

I have no interest in gaming (except playing chess against the computer)...

Thanks in advance for any input...

NOTAGEEK

liamnixon
July 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
By "Video,audio," do you mean simple playback or editing. If you are going to do some editing, then yes, Ubuntu Studio would be pretty useful. It's simply Ubuntu with tons of multimedia packages preinstalled and a Real-Time capable kernel. It could be useful if you want to capture vinyl and put it to CD as well (I do that periodically, though in a more round about way ;) ). You could use Jokosher for that, as it's pretty easy to use (I believe).

At any rate, if you want to try it, you could just install the Ubuntu Studio meta-package if you're already using Ubuntu. Just search for ubuntustudio in synaptic and install what you need.

Hope this helps.

Astarroth
July 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Yes Ubuntu Studio is what you are looking for. It is Unbuntu Linux that has all the programs for video and audio editing and recording already installed on it. Also has programs for graphics creation and editing.
Check out http://ubuntustudio.org/ for an overview of what is included.
I am planning on installing it on one of my system as soon as the wife is sure she has all of her data saved off of it.:lolflag:

NOTAGEEK
July 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM
By "Video,audio," do you mean simple playback or editing. If you are going to do some editing, then yes, Ubuntu Studio would be pretty useful. It's simply Ubuntu with tons of multimedia packages preinstalled and a Real-Time capable kernel. It could be useful if you want to capture vinyl and put it to CD as well (I do that periodically, though in a more round about way ;) ). You could use Jokosher for that, as it's pretty easy to use (I believe).

At any rate, if you want to try it, you could just install the Ubuntu Studio meta-package if you're already using Ubuntu. Just search for ubuntustudio in synaptic and install what you need.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the info liamnixon... i think that i will need to figure out how to install the studio meta-package and will then give studio a test drive... i have both vinyl and bakelite that i would like to copy to disc when mt skill level increases...

carml
July 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Just go to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager and loor for Ubuntu-studio,so you'll certainly find the meta-package of Ubuntu Studio,be carefull there's also the restyling of gnome done in Ubuntu Studio among your results.

NOTAGEEK
July 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Just go to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager and loor for Ubuntu-studio,so you'll certainly find the meta-package of Ubuntu Studio,be carefull there's also the restyling of gnome done in Ubuntu Studio among your results.

Will do---thanks for help...

NOTAGEEK
July 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM

WOW---sure contains allot of good stuff...