PDA

View Full Version : Favorite weapon from any FPS. What is yours?

cc8balla
July 3rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
I have two.

Gravity gun from the Half Life series.

Battle Rifle from Halo2.

What are yours?

Chilli Bob
July 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm a sucker for the classics. A BFG 9000 for me.

Oh, and the chainsaw was always fun.

nmccrina
July 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Battle Rifle from Halo2.

FWIW, the BR is my favorite too.

The only FPS I've played are Halo and COD 4 though.

LinuxFox
July 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
I also pick the gravity gun from the Half-Life series. So many fun times using that weapon, both in the single player game and HL2 deathmatch.

SupaSonic
July 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Flak Cannon from the Unreal series. I love it.

swoll1980
July 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
The gravity gun from Half Life 2
The assault rifle from Halo.
Coincidence? I think not.

bvanaerde
July 3rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
The knife in "True Combat" (Quake3 mod)
Nothing better than backstabbing an opponent...:lolflag:

caravel
July 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Flak Cannon from the Unreal series. I love it.
+1

The flak cannon had everything you could want: Close range devastating shotgun-like primary attack and extremely satisfying mid range shell lobbing. Lobbed shells also produced splash damage and with primary fire you could bounce the flak fragments around corners.

CharmyBee
July 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Flak's for nubs. Bio Rifle is where it's at. Ironically in all its incarnations its first version in Unreal is the only one that is actually a rifle.

.Maleficus.
July 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Gravity Gun from Half Life 2.
Flak Cannon from Unreal Tournament 2k4.
Redeemer from Unreal Tournament 2k4.

SupaSonic
July 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Unreal has the best guns: Flak, Bio Rifle, the amazing Shock Rifle with its devastating combo, and of course the Redeemer.

CK05
July 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Shotgun from original Doom. Most satisfying weapon ever.

RiceMonster
July 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Shotgun from original Doom. Most satisfying weapon ever.

Hell yeah. Especially the double barreled shotgun in Doom II.

HavocXphere
July 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Anything where the bullet hits wherever the crosshair points. i.e. doesn't scatter randomly. Ideally with zero traveling time.

Crysis -> Tranq darts ftw
UT -> sniper/shock rifle
HL1 -> Crossbow
Cod4 -> g3
Counterstrike -> Deagle/m4a1

Gravity gun is awesome fun x2...but not much good if the other guy has a real weapon & can aim.

The throw-able knife in SOF were also great fun...again not much use against well armed opponents.

Bölvağur
July 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Quake 3 (and live!) : Rocket Launcher
It might be the best known weapon of all time in games.

*added*

Cod4 -> g3
AK-74u is best balanced close range weapon, kills in 2 shots and you can use aim to walk fast without making noise.
AK-47 is the best balanced gun in the game, it shines in long range combat, does 56 dmg (I think) so it kills also with 2 hits and in close range it is more powerful so spraying can be better than having weak close range weapon.
Degle is good at all time. But you only have 7 shots which you can shoot as quickly as you press the fire button. Recoil only goes upwards so it is easy to keep high accuracy even when shooting very fast at targets far away. Good against noob snipers and makes backraping snipers easy with the silent aim walking.

decoherence
July 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Shotgun from Marathon, FTW! Twin shotgun action! Woo!

Oh, and railgun from Q3A.... (yeah, i'm a LPB)

Gizenshya
July 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
wow, I'm very surprised this thread made it any further than post #2 without someone mentioning a weapon from the absolute unrivaled best weapon set of any game series EVER. Period. The original Turok Series.

but yeha, pretty much any weapon from the original Turok series is friggin sweet. There has never been a game with as much diversity and function to their weapons.

Turok weapons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4zIVLJw7fE)

rest of the series' weapons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQHeDdkL5U)

Of those, though it is hard to chose, I LOVE the Cerebral Bore!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CaiXVbFZXI)

CharmyBee
July 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I think it's weird there's not enough of these 'great guns' in the world of FOSS fps games. Someone should do something about that like make some wacky lots of weapons fun shooter.

LinuxFox
July 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Flak Cannon from the Unreal series. I love it.I was about to edit this into my post. Wanting to play UT2004 again made me remember this one. I love the Flak Cannon too.

darthmob
July 3rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
For me it has to be the K43 with rifle grenade in Enemy Territory.

http://www.et.jolt.co.uk/images/k43g.jpg
Video Demonstration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8cdLOkKJqo)

As a second comes the Torque Bow in Gears of War. (ok it's a third person shooter but I like it nevertheless)
Video Demonstration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXQW7HEO_G0). Nothing beats explosive crossbows! It does not explode immediately at contact but takes ~2 seconds to give the enemy the futile hope that you missed. Everyone who has played GoW knows that the 'pling' of a hitting bolt is nothing you like to hear.

To be effective with them you need a good mix between skill and luck. I like that!

MellonCollie
July 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
The Kar98 and the M1 Garand in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing that game online, and those were my weapons of choice.

mamamia88
July 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
plasma grenade in halo

pwnst*r
July 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
can't pick one, but Q3 - railgun, rocket launcher, and lightning gun...who am i kidding, the only one i can't stand in that game is the BFG.

MikeTheC
July 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
BFG 9K from Quake here.

(It's been a while since I've played a FPS.)

geekygirl
July 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
COD4 - G3 with Red Dot Sight and Sleight of Hand perk :p

HavocXphere
July 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
AK-74u is best balanced close range weapon, kills in 2 shots and you can use aim to walk fast without making noise.
AK-47 is the best balanced gun in the game, it shines in long range combat, does 56 dmg (I think) so it kills also with 2 hits and in close range it is more powerful so spraying can be better than having weak close range weapon.
Degle is good at all time. But you only have 7 shots which you can shoot as quickly as you press the fire button. Recoil only goes upwards so it is easy to keep high accuracy even when shooting very fast at targets far away. Good against noob snipers and makes backraping snipers easy with the silent aim walking.
I know. But the question wasn't *best* weapon. It was favorite weapon.

Blacklightbulb
July 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Kalashnikov AK-103 - Urban Terror

(because of the caliber)

Jesus_Valdez
July 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Shotgun from the Halo series.

The BR is also really good.

der_joachim
July 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Laser trip bombs, combined with a healthy dose of pipe bombs in Duke Nukem 3D. Hail to the King baby!

JDShu
July 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
The PPSH from Call of Duty. The contrast between it and the other weapons in the game is too funny.

Idaho Dan
July 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Lara!

OK, Lara's pistols.

MaxIBoy
July 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
My utter favorite is the "mighty boot" from Duke Nukem 3D.

But my next favorite after that would be the railgun from the Quake series.

tuskenraider
July 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
id have to say
CoD5 the PPSH
and the DBL barrell Shotty. <--- can dispatch zombies like crazy.

UT2004 the zoom instagib rifle. haha many lulz had with that one.

cod4 silenced .45. i know i know its just a pistol.. but holy crap.. inst-o-matic death

cod:uo the Kar 98. gotta love a good bolt action rifle. pref with iron sites.

hmmmm apparently i play to much cod.... lol

tusken

Dagonn
July 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Nex from Nexuiz.. it's like the railgun from Quake, but better

See by yourself (sorry, Flash inside): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ggc84Mv7vU

yabbadabbadont
July 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Laser trip bombs, combined with a healthy dose of pipe bombs in Duke Nukem 3D. Hail to the King baby!

Those were good, but I always like the shrink ray myself. It was very satisfying to stomp on your opponents after hitting them with that. :twisted:

calrogman
July 3rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
The knife from the Call of Duty games, one hit kill wonder.

Xzallion
July 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
From Unreal: Flak Cannon from the unreal series, and the Ripper from the first Unreal Tournament.

From Halo: Shotgun and battle rifle combo, with a full stock of grenades.

From Turok: The Cerebral Bore, with the spider mines a close second.

From Call of Duty: Springfield. I'm from Springfield, and like a rifle with the same name.

From Gears of War: Lancer, because the chainsaw bayonet is pure awesome.

From Red Faction: The Rail Gun. Go ahead and hide, I can still see you.

From Doom: BFG

Favorite weapon from all FPS's: Shotgun. Its just a wonderful gun.

sdlynx
July 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Energy Sword from Halo 1/2/3 whichever it was lol
and Rocket Launcher of course

cc8balla
July 4th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Favorite weapon from all FPS's: Shotgun. Its just a wonderful gun.

A shotty is just an all around, dependable wep, no matter what game its in.

RD1
July 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Favorite "realistic" weapon: RTCW's Snooper Rifle
Favorite "fun" weapon: Earthworm Jim's leprechaun Gun

diablo75
July 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Without a doubt, the laser-trip mines from Duke Nukem 3D as well as the remote detonated pipe bombs.

I can still remember playing one-on-one over dialup modem against my best friend and we would surprise each other with newly devised traps so much just with these two weapons. It's was utterly hilarious to hear an beeping sound, followed by an explosion in the distance somewhere, followed by getting an angry IM from him for setting the mine where he couldn't see it (behind false walls, beyond elevator doors, by the toilets in the bathroom, etc).

Sand & Mercury
July 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Hell yeah. Especially the double barreled shotgun in Doom II.
The Super Shotgun in Doom 2 is the ultimate weapon and imo has never been topped. I love the crunch and splatter when you nail one of the pink demons up close, or whipping around and snagging someone on reflex alone in multiplayer. Just perfect.

Honorable mentions go to UT's flak cannon and shock rifle, Duke 3D's RPG and pipe bombs and Half Life 2's crossbow (for impaling enemies to the walls) and the mighty gravity gun, capable of converting pretty much anything into a shield and weapon.

The rocket launcher from the old Quake days still stands tall after all this time, too.

EDIT: More honorable mentions: The flare gun and TNT/Cigarette lighter combo in the original Blood.

ToFue
July 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Laptop Gun from the first Prefect Dark.. runner up would be kazooie

monsterstack
July 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
wow, I'm very surprised this thread made it any further than post #2 without someone mentioning a weapon from the absolute unrivaled best weapon set of any game series EVER. Period. The original Turok Series.

but yeha, pretty much any weapon from the original Turok series is friggin sweet. There has never been a game with as much diversity and function to their weapons.

Turok weapons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4zIVLJw7fE)

rest of the series' weapons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQHeDdkL5U)

Of those, though it is hard to chose, I LOVE the Cerebral Bore!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CaiXVbFZXI)

Ah, Turok. The sheer number of over-powered weapons in that game is really quite something. I guess they needed something to set them apart from everybody else's games, so they settled on having about five BFGs. Smooth moves. I think the quad-rocket launcher was my favourite.

GeneralZod
July 5th, 2009, 09:51 AM
UT's Shock Rifle, for me :)

Yashiro
July 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM
The Quake 2 Railgun.

3rdalbum
July 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I liked the Fusion Pistol from Marathon. The primary trigger fired a slow-moving shot that was a little more powerful than the pistol, and more effective than the pistol against robots. The secondary trigger, when held down, would charge up a slow-moving bold that could be as powerful as a combat shotgun. The rate of fire in primary fire mode was pretty good too.

3rd-party mods usually set the second-fire shot speed for the Fusion Pistol at zero, effectively creating a "fusion mine".

I also liked the shock rifle from the original Unreal Tournament. The secondary trigger fired a large, slow-moving projectile. If you hit it with the instantaneous primary shot, it would explode and do much more damage to nearby enemies. I could never make it an effective weapon, but it was pretty cool.

Jackelope
July 6th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I like to keep it simple - the crowbar from HL2. So physical and satisfying.

Groucho Marxist
July 6th, 2009, 03:05 AM
The remote detonation droid from Star Wars: Battlefront (With the right timing, a small squad of four could destroy more than half of the opposing army on the Bespin maps :D )

&

The shotgun from the first HALO (Usually, I'd wear black armor on the multiplayer maps, sneak up behind someone, shoot and say, "I'M BATMAN." :D )

CatKiller
July 6th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I go with the classics;

Flak cannon from UT.

Double-barrelled death-stick from Doom 2.

The hornet gun from Half-Life, although the snark and trip mines were lots of fun too. Honourable mention for the Magnum.

The minigun in TimeSplitters 2 was just awesome. No other weapon in the game is as brutal or as much fun as the minigun.

Whilst the Dragon Sword in Deus Ex was a handy light, the cattle prod was lots of fun and useful everywhere.

X-BANE
July 6th, 2009, 03:19 AM
The Redeemer from Unreal Tournament 2004/III.

Dimitriid
July 6th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I don't think it has been mentioned but for me, nothing beats the stake gun from Painkiller. The painkiller was also damn brutal and its a very close second.

Twitch6000
July 6th, 2009, 03:34 AM
ak103 in Urban Terror

For other fps games I don't have a favorite lol.

Icehuck
July 6th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Out of the all the FPS games I've played, my number one favorite weapon is the MP5 (all variants).

I am also a fan of the following:

M16A4
M4 Carbine
G36C
UMP45
MTAR21
P90
MP7A1

x33a
July 6th, 2009, 05:08 AM
m4 sopmod, call of duty: modern warfare :guitar:

Icehuck
July 6th, 2009, 05:18 AM
m4 sopmod, call of duty: modern warfare

So your favorite weapon is the mod kit for the M4 Carbine?

murderslastcrow
July 6th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Cerebral Bore from Turok, as well as the gravity gun in Turok 2. :O I used it to pretend it was a 3rd person platformer by possessing the bodies of enemies.

x33a
July 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
So your favorite weapon is the mod kit for the M4 Carbine?

Not just the kit, but the kit fitted on the weapon ;)

Eisenwinter
July 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I'm a sucker for the classics. A BFG 9000 for me.

Oh, and the chainsaw was always fun.
+1.

I like the BFG 9000 and the Super Shotgun.