PDA

View Full Version : CD drive misbehaving...

YourSurrogateGod
January 21st, 2006, 04:13 PM
I have an HP pavilion a350n. It has 2 optical drives. The one on top is a dvd/cd-burner and it works fine. The one below is simply a CD player. I use the lower one for most of my CD needs (playing games, listening music, installing crap, etc.) Lately it seems that it's functioning oddly. Whenever I open the CD drive, it closes right after opening (literally and instantly.) So as you imagine changing discs is a pain and requires quick hand skills.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had such a problem and maybe has a clue on how to fix it. Anyone?

futz
January 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has ever had such a problem and maybe has a clue on how to fix it. Anyone?
I've seen that before. Probably a dirty or worn out tray switch. CD drives are so cheap that it doesn't make sense to mess with them AT ALL. Just slap in a new one.

Here in Canada they go for about $22, so in the US they'd likely be $15 or $16 or so - maybe less. Takes maybe 5 minutes to change one in a normal box. Maybe an hour in a HP box, though not all HP's are pigs to work on, so maybe less.

briancurtin
January 21st, 2006, 07:49 PM
start working on your hand-eye coordination. you can do some drills and quicken up your hands so you can get the disc in there quicker than it can close on you.

seriously though, i would just look into a replacement because they arent that expensive these days for a regular CD player