PDA

View Full Version : present for a girl?

flyingsliverfin
July 3rd, 2009, 06:38 AM
i know a girl and its her birthday coming up and i dont know what to give her... shes indian, really good at math, likes to read... we are only 13 but good friends and i would like to give something cool-ish, maybe funny or something that represents being a giek (we both are considered geiks, just in differnet areas; shes more a bio/math, im more a computer/math/art. For us being geik is fine, just like being a nerd :P

i have been giving her books which is fine, but i dont want to give her books for the 3rd year running...

any sugestions any1?

Kingsley
July 3rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Get her something geiky from thinkgeek.com

flyingsliverfin
July 3rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
thats a bit too...geiky

hayden92
July 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
As a general rule, girls like clothes.

If you want to give her something less monotonous than books, think of something that will make her laugh... say something that reminds you of a personal joke or place you both went.

Hope that helps

4th guy
July 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
As a general rule, girls like clothes.
And soft toys, and chocolate :P

Darkspark
July 3rd, 2009, 07:16 AM
Candles.

MaxIBoy
July 3rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
If something from thinkgeek.com is over the top, try something from here: http://www.lolmart.com/shirts.html
(Make sure she's seen the failbog/I can has cheezburger/etc websites, and check to see that she enjoys those websites, before buying her something from that store.)

However, something which has worked pretty well for me in the past is to just ask what they want. The disadvantage is that if they ask for something you can't give, you come off as a total jerk, but the risk of that is pretty low.

This post is made available in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, to the extent permissible under the applicable law.

magh-87
July 3rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
<snip>

But seriously, maybe something from the ubuntu store? It's a good way to get her interested in Ubuntu if she isn't already using it.

amitabhishek
July 3rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
If you want a girl to fall for you; do that extra thing. Do something special...not necessarily expensive. (From my experience) Burn a CD of the songs that she likes she will love it. In case you don't have something already installed. Do this:

sudo apt-get install k3b-mp3

It (presenting a CD) works most of the time.You will earn few brownie points which you can redeem later ;)

magh-87
July 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Otherwise just do something else with her... go to a movie, take her to dinner, go to an arcade or go mini-putting.

t0p
July 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Chicks like flowers, chocolates, clothes and cars. Oh, and money. Especially money.

So give her cash. Or a car. Or even a car full of cash.

When I was young, I found that tasteful pieces of costume jewellery went down well. Costume jewellery because I was young and couldn't afford gold or diamonds. Tasteful because tacky costume jewellery looks crap. Amber and jade can be pretty good. But it has to be tasteful. You know another chick you could take along to the store to help you choose? Cos us guys can be tasteless as hell when the mood takes us.

infestor
July 3rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
chicks like flowers, chocolates, clothes and cars. Oh, and money. Especially money.

So give her cash. Or a car. Or even a car full of cash.

When i was young, i found that tasteful pieces of costume jewellery went down well. Costume jewellery because i was young and couldn't afford gold or diamonds. Tasteful because tacky costume jewellery looks crap. Amber and jade can be pretty good. But it has to be tasteful. You know another chick you could take along to the store to help you choose? Cos us guys can be tasteless as hell when the mood takes us.

+10^100

Malac
July 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
If you want to just stay friends then ask her for three things she'd like. Then buy one of them. There is still an element of surprise as to which one you'll get for her but you know it's something she wants.
If you are looking to become more than friends, just tell her, don't try and win her over with prezzies, ultimately this never works.

Good Luck and wish her a Happy Birthday.

megamania
July 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Spend as little as possible, but put as much thought as you can into choosing it.

You'll come up with something wonderful, I promise.

siimo
July 3rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
A cake

s.fox
July 3rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Bath stuff?

TheLions
July 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
a flower!

gjoellee
July 3rd, 2009, 09:33 AM
I would give her a nice funny book and a hug :p

flyingsliverfin
July 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
i think i havee something :)

thx people

BoyOfDestiny
July 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Mix tape? Or Mix CD? Or customized Ubuntu liveCD...
Hmm yeah, definitely the latter.

:lolflag:

Gizenshya
July 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Watch this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg)

/story

;)

HappinessNow
July 3rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
i know a girl and its her birthday coming up and i dont know what to give her... shes indian, really good at math, likes to read... we are only 13 but good friends and i would like to give something cool-ish, maybe funny or something that represents being a giek (we both are considered geiks, just in differnet areas; shes more a bio/math, im more a computer/math/art. For us being geik is fine, just like being a nerd :P

i have been giving her books which is fine, but i dont want to give her books for the 3rd year running...

any sugestions any1?Get her a Spock Action Figure doll.

Rabindranath
July 3rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
The best gift you can give for her is a gift voucher from a book store and a set of DVDs. Thereby she can buy whatever she wants...

Or a new Jaunty CD..:lolflag:

mynameinc
July 3rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Buy her a country.

wersdaluv
July 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Haha. So cute. I think, it should be your call. Get something that's accessible to you. Folks here can suggest a lot of things but you might not be able to get them because of availability. Also, each person has a different set of preferences so people here might suggest things that could offend her or something. So there. Your call.

Oh yeah... You might want to tell her that you just did the geekiest thing you can to find a gift for her, asked a bunched of geeks in the most active linux users' forum. haha. But as I said, your call again. You judge if it's appropriate ;) Good luck!

public_void
July 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Firstly don't stereotype girls. They don't all like flowers, chocolates and smelly stuff, some do and would love a bunch of roses but others want something different.

Couple of general things:
- Only you know her so your're the best judge of what to get, use your heart.
- Don't spend lots of money, it's not worth it and not always necessary.
- Find out what she really likes, the thing she is passionate about, and importantly something you have a clue about.
- Finally, thought really counts so take your time. If you get it right the rewards are good, trust me (especially when your older).

Jesus_Valdez
July 4th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Mix casssete tape with handmade decorate.

But since is not my time anymore, some clothing from the xkcd store (http://store.xkcd.com), like this:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/store/imgs/useless_square_0.png

or

http://imgs.xkcd.com/store/imgs/science_square_0.png

every geek dreams.

juancarlospaco
July 4th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Clothes!:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1412/lenceriageekpacman.jpg
:)

flyingsliverfin
July 4th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Oh yeah... You might want to tell her that you just did the geekiest thing you can to find a gift for her, asked a bunched of geeks in the most active linux users' forum. haha. But as I said, your call again. You judge if it's appropriate ;) Good luck!

LOL

btw people this is going to be at a Bday party, and i dont have access to a car, so i cant go anywheree after, like amovie etc... something that fits into a box or bag :)

then again i have an idea, so ill have to check that out

lsemmens
July 4th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Good Luck! One question that should have been asked is, how much do you want to spend? How far can you go to get whatever it is? Do you have access to a credit card (i.e. can you purchase on-line or must you use cash). Whatever you choose, it will show your thought and consideration went into it. Let us all know how you get on.

calrogman
July 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Girls like sentimental things.
Name a star after her (http://www.moonestates.com/shop-star.php).

mhgsys
July 5th, 2009, 03:55 PM
lol,

Girls like sentimental things indeed.

Buy her something nice, something sweet/
Something you feel pretty cheesy about.. ghehe.

f.e
Buy her jewelry and tell her she's special to you, have a nice dinner, go to some romantic movie etc.

I engaged my girl on her Birthday,
Took her miles away to some hotel on a mountaintop,
Spend 4 days there,.

She still loves me for that now.
:lolflag:

MikeTheC
July 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
How about a baseball bat to keep the naughty ones away?

MikeTheC
July 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Get her a Spock Action Figure doll.

Life size?

Gizenshya
July 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Good Luck! One question that should have been asked is, how much do you want to spend? How far can you go to get whatever it is? Do you have access to a credit card (i.e. can you purchase on-line or must you use cash). Whatever you choose, it will show your thought and consideration went into it. Let us all know how you get on.

Yes... if you want any practical answer to your question, those questions need to be addressed...

also, what is the girl to you? A girlfriend? A hopeful girlfriend? or a friend?

khelben1979
July 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Women's panties which sits perfectly.

Arup
July 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
To the OP, I am sure as a 13 year old, you must be finding the so called adult response quite fascinating indeed.

Glucklich
July 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I can't ******* believe no one has said this yet.

Offer her a music album. Something alternative and at the same time, a classic. By that I mean, relatively unknown artists but which value is priceless. It's simple, cool and bright.

Or maybe a movie. Pretty much the same thing as the music. Alternative but a classic.
And give it with the receipt so can exchange it if she already has it or doesn't like it. But if you like this girl, be extra careful about what you choose. But if that's the case, by now, you should already know what she likes and doesn't like.

Or maybe, as you are an arts guy, do something yourself. Nothing would be better than a reflection on what she means to you. But don't fall on cliché thoughts. They make terrible gifts. If your first thought reading this was a painting of her or anything like that, my advise is... stick with the albums and movies.

Personally, I never give anything on birthdays. I hate the whole formality. Just, enjoy each other's company... No better gift than that.

Well, except on rare occasions. But, it really has to be something that fits like a glove, in every aspect. And since you have this doubt, I would say, your glove doesn't fit.
Good luck on the continuation of your social charade.

tsali
July 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Here's a better tack...

Ask her best female friend to help. You accomplish two things - 1) You're more likely to get a gift she really likes and 2) You look like Mr. Romance to her friends.

Another bit of advice...do not ask other geeks what to get a girl for her birthday...

flyingsliverfin
July 5th, 2009, 06:06 PM
lol... fyi people shes not my gf, just a friend.

@Arup: yep

Arup
July 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM
lol... fyi people shes not my gf, just a friend.

@Arup: yep

Since she is from India, for a change, give her something India related, book, music, movie, souvenir, that will show your friendship in good light as she will then realize that you have a deeper understanding.

Gizenshya
July 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
If you want to go the album route, get her something (read: anything) by Michael Bublé (http://www.michaelbuble.com/discography).

Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=michael+buble)

If she doesn't like it, stop associating with her. :p

mkendall
July 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Dip her hair in an inkwell, punch her in the arm, and be done with it already.

I swear, kids these days.