PDA

View Full Version : A Family planner for the web?

MadsRH
July 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hi
My family is industrious users of a family planner. I would like to create a family planner webpage. Although the plan might seem to reach for the stars, I’m simply looking for help in creating a very basic version.

I've created this mockup of how I would like the final version to look (the reach for the stars version ;-)). Anyone member of the family should be able to add appointments to the calendar from any computer with internet access.

I'm not very skilled when it comes to writting code, so is there anyone who can tell me if this is even remotely possible?

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=119789&d=1246572215
Thanks for reading

Can+~
July 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
How about using Google Calendar and add your family as users of said calendar?

(Less pretty though :()

BlueVark
July 3rd, 2009, 12:30 AM
Use Google calendar and everyone shares their own file. Works great.

mdgrech
July 3rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
there was a silicon valley company that received considerable funding to create a calendar app similar to your. After google calendar came out they lost funding and gave up.

Honestly unless your a company with a huge budget or an awesome web developer its going to be very hard to top google calender.

MadsRH
July 3rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Google calendar is great, but the UI isn't very customizable - something I'll just have to live with.

Thanks for your feedback guys :-)

smartbei
July 3rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
I actually think this is a great project. If your goal is learning python or PHP, as well as html and css, then this seems like a good project to learn from. It is definitely possible:

The layout looks to be relatively simple (it is just a table after all).
As for the server-side scripts, all it requires is either a database or even a flat-file store for the information (though locking would have to be implemented somehow).

As for connecting with Twitter and Facebook - I think that is possible as well, though it will require some more work :-)

offshoredevelopment
July 7th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hi ,

Yes, Google calendar is great as well if you need your own with custom pages and look and feel you can use drupal modules for appointments

Thanks
Mayur Shah
Hire Dedicated Developers / Programmers
http://www.addonsolutions.com