PDA

View Full Version : Computer lab pranks!!

Blacklightbulb
July 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
List any good computer lab pranks.

I begin:

So there was this friend of mine who acts like a know-it-all about computer. You know one of those 'pro' XP users. So I got fiddling with the computer assigned to him (with admin permission) Backed-up his info on an external Hard disk. Then I put a new partition. Installed FreeDos on the new partition and installed Grub and made FreeDos default boot.

Then we (me admin and half class) sat down opposite to him and let him get frustrated for a while. The genius thought windows was in recovery mode even though there was the FREEDOS logo clearly visible. :lolflag:

Any other good pranks?

philcamlin
July 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
get a virus and change the exe anme to internet explorer and let him run it :D :popcorn:

Blacklightbulb
July 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
get a virus and change the exe anme to internet explorer and let him run it :D :popcorn:

Lol you cracked me up. Perhaps I try it but I don't know how to handle viruses yet. Better back up first.:lolflag:

kk0sse54
July 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
So there was this friend of mine who acts like a know-it-all about computer. You know one of those 'pro' XP users. So I got fiddling with the computer assigned to him (with admin permission) Backed-up his info on an external Hard disk. Then I put a new partition. Installed FreeDos on the new partition and installed Grub and made FreeDos default boot.

Then we (me admin and half class) sat down opposite to him and let him get frustrated for a while. The genius thought windows was in recovery mode even though there was the FREEDOS logo clearly visible. :lolflag:

hilarious :roll:

nmccrina
July 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
There was a guy I knew in college who was a real hard-core gamer and had the whole setup, including an ultra high-end monitor. His room-mate found and installed this screensaver from somewhere that displayed the desktop normally, but added a shattered glass effect. Furthermore, it wouldn't go away unless some key combination was hit. Not a very elaborate prank but it scared the crap out of everybody who saw it, not just the intended victim.

donkyhotay
July 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
1. Install a linux distro that strives to look like windows (or maybe reactOS). For extra confusion change the boot screen to look like the windows boot screen.

2. Take a screenshot of his desktop, set it as the wallpaper, hide the icons, hide the taskbar

3. Change the properties of commonly used programs (something like reader) to run in 256 colors while the color settings of the OS as a whole is unchanged.

MaxIBoy
July 2nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
If the computer uses a CRT monitor, set the refresh rate as low as possible. (Make sure he doesn't have epilepsy first!)

Set the mouse speed as low as possible.

Uninstall any other web browsers (except IE, because that's impossible to remove,) then set the default web browser to lynx.

You know the "clicking" sound effect which optionally plays whenever you click on anything? Find a buzzer or siren sound, and use that instead. You can change up the sounds using the control panel, I can't remember exactly where (its been a while.)

Change the keyboard layout to dvorak and hide his mouse in a closet somewhere.

Rotate his screen (possible with certain graphics drivers.)

Take a screenshot of just the desktop, and set it as the background. Then, hide the icons and taskbar.

You can also try using any combination of the above.

Finally, why not just get an annoy-a-tron? http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/

Blacklightbulb
July 2nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
1. Install a linux distro that strives to look like windows (or maybe reactOS). For extra confusion change the boot screen to look like the windows boot screen.

2. Take a screenshot of his desktop, set it as the wallpaper, hide the icons, hide the taskbar

3. Change the properties of commonly used programs (something like reader) to run in 256 colors while the color settings of the OS as a whole is unchanged.

There was a guy I knew in college who was a real hard-core gamer and had the whole setup, including an ultra high-end monitor. His room-mate found and installed this screensaver from somewhere that displayed the desktop normally, but added a shattered glass effect. Furthermore, it wouldn't go away unless some key combination was hit. Not a very elaborate prank but it scared the crap out of everybody who saw it, not just the intended victim.

Great ideas, and wouldn't it be hilarious a screen-saver or wallpaper of the BSOD. I'd imagine his/her face. I actually might convince some noob to sell me his 600$ laptop for 30$ since he'll think it's gone dead. :guitar:
Actually I'm not that cruel. But surely I try it on the next victim in here. I'll convince them in thinking they've ruined a lab terminal. Setting up right now...

LowSky
July 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
BSOD screensaver/walpapper I've done, and no one found it funny except me, I set it to go off ever minute. they guy thought it was a serious issue and actually reformated his machine... i felt really bad after that

Blacklightbulb
July 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
BSOD screensaver/walpapper I've done, and no one found it funny except me, I set it to go off ever minute. they guy thought it was a serious issue and actually reformated his machine... i felt really bad after that

Seriously! I'll be more cautious then but these are lab computers of college property. Admin's a great friend of mine. I get to use a workstation with 5% of the college bandwidth and a ton of processing power (dual quad core processors). Isn't that awesome :guitar:

MaxIBoy
July 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Seriously! I'll be more cautious then but these are lab computers of college property. Admin's a great friend of mine. I get to use a workstation with 5% of the college bandwidth and a ton of processing power (dual quad core processors). Isn't that awesome :guitar:Really? How many VMs can you run at once?

froggyswamp
July 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
On windows, create a batch file that shuts down the computer, then place a shortcut to it on the Desktop and call it "Internet Explorer" and change the shortcut's icon correspondingly (don't forget to remove the real IE). Works always.

froggyswamp
July 2nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
I also once created a java app that runs at system startup, waits for like 5 min then enters full screen mode and displays in the middle of the screen a message with big red letters that blink: "NO SIGNAL" on a black background, it always worked, every user after seeing that "message" went behind the computer and checked the cables/connection of the monitor. The Java app was very small, like 5KB.

Blacklightbulb
July 2nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Really? How many VMs can you run at once?

I seriously don't know since when I have the chance I just hook an external HD and do some real gaming :).
Also I hardy use VM. Well at a wild guess: 2 x 4 cores = 8 core @ ~3Ghz. I'd say it's possibly to run 4 VMs
on the hardware side but I dunno if software can perform efficiently enough on such a machine. Well I think it can.

I dunno. Why do you use VM anyway? Why not dual boot?

metallicamike
July 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Well I didn't do this prank but I ended up beoing the one to fix it. :) Someone at my school changed the homepage to www.smouch.net/lol/ and no one knew what was wrong with it. It was hilarious, everyone thought it was a virus, even the teacher! So then I got my timing rite to open the tools menu in IE and changed the homepage back to default. My teacher was like lolwut?

EDIT: DO NOT click that link unless you want to force quit firefox. Or find out what it is if you don't know. And then force quit firefox :lolflag:

Superkoop
July 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Finally, why not just get an annoy-a-tron? http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/

This would be so flipping fun to put in someone's dorm ceiling tile :twisted:

As far as computer pranks, I'm a fan of setting scripts to run when you click shortcuts which results in interesting texts...scripts are fun. :cool:

MikeTheC
July 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Write a script to shut down the computer upon startup.

That's always great for a laugh.

MaxIBoy
July 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Another idea: change all the shortcuts to batch files which play an annoying sound and then do the expected action. Be sure to change the icons and make sure file extensions are hidden.

I seriously don't know since when I have the chance I just hook an external HD and do some real gaming :).
Also I hardy use VM. Well at a wild guess: 2 x 4 cores = 8 core @ ~3Ghz. I'd say it's possibly to run 4 VMs
on the hardware side but I dunno if software can perform efficiently enough on such a machine. Well I think it can.

I dunno. Why do you use VM anyway? Why not dual boot?Because neither Haiku nor ReactOS support my hardware well. Also, that way I can try out new distro releases out of idle curiosity.

Compucore
July 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
A long time ago what I had done in a lab over here and this was before windows 3.1 ever came out. Most of the labs that I was in were mainly the good old DOS varients like DOS 4,5, or DOS 6.2. I had found this little application (Better word for that I should say Program.) that was a stay to resident memory kind of a prank. Whenever the person would tpye something at the command line. It would pop up with text based replys like saying tha they were tickling the keyboard and made a laugh. Or saying sorry that they could not do that. All piped at the same time through the system speakers. (Meaning the internal speaker from the motherboard or the one that faced the front case chassis.) It was funny as hell I was almost ready to pee in my pants about it. And she was nearly ready to cry and her associate was about ready to blow a fuse.

Compucore

evermooingcow
July 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
I found an audio recording of a cow mooing and set it as the error sound on someone's machine. Turned the sound all the way up and walked away.

I also inserted the same audio clip in the lab's music playlist.

doorknob60
July 3rd, 2009, 12:08 AM
On the macs at my school just go up to someone's computer and hold shift and press F11 as many times as you can, it's hilarious. It makes the windows slowly go back and forth across the screen for a long time (depends on how many times you press it), and you can't stop it either.

Also you can make a batch file called whateveryouwant.bat in C:\ (or wherever) and put this in the batch file

start C:\whateveryouwant.bat

It opens hundreds of windows of blank batch files until the computer freezes. On 9x it usually bluescreens too :-P

Here's an even funnier version:

@echo off
echo This is a virus!

You can replace "This is a virus!" with something more creative and funny of course. Sometimes it gets so locked up that it doesn't show what you put after echo, but it's still funny. It's very hard/impossible to close all the windows without hard rebooting the computer. I'll get a picture in Virtualbox.

http://i42.tinypic.com/1495kw8_th.png (http://i42.tinypic.com/1495kw8.png)

THe error messages start popping up after a while, and it's still trying to open more in the background, and if you close the error message more command prompts and more error messages start popping up XD In the picture there's only 72 command prompts open but right now I have 283 lol and everything's unresponsive pretty much. On more powerful computers repeat the C:\whateveryouwant.bat more times because on newer computers it doesn't work quite as well. I'll tell you it works amazingly well on Windows 98 though.

Then just put the batch file in startup or replace a shortcut to Word or IE or whatever with it and have fun. Also if you can find old DOS versions of quick basic you can make little DOS programs that send notes through your PC speaker :D I've made songs with quick basic before lol.

DeadSuperHero
July 3rd, 2009, 12:31 AM
Format all the machines to have NetBSD or HURD on them, then use one of the dozens of GTK or Qt themes/transformation packs to make it look like the default system. The resulting confusion between the students and computer technicians will be too much.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

dragos240
July 3rd, 2009, 01:10 AM
Let them run windows. That'll get 'em good.

t0pcat
July 3rd, 2009, 01:27 AM
I had a floppy that was labled cool pics and I would give it to people and get them to run it. (I did this to the network admin at a place I worked at about 10 years ago). It had a program on it that would put a window up that would ask you if you wanted to uninstall windows and all it components. Whether you pushed the yes or no button it would pop another window up that said uninstalling windows while scrolling through a fake list of files. Halarity ensued. I nearly got fired..lol.

renkinjutsu
July 3rd, 2009, 01:59 AM
Write a script to shut down the computer upon startup.

That's always great for a laugh.
i've done that before! .. only i didn't drag it into the 'startup' folder in the start menu.. i put it in the registry, so not even logging in to 'Safe mode' could save it.. the bad thing was that i set the shutdown time to 0 seconds, and i was the one who had to fix it.. but i'm very keyboard savvy and was fast enough to fix it in one shot!

also, as far as i know, you can even get windows to display a dialog using the shutdown command, you can type in a bogus message like

ERROR a4200000x99930; problem
detected with file C:\WINDOWS\win32
windows will now shutdown
to prevent further damage.

I had a floppy that was labled cool pics and I would give it to people and get them to run it. (I did this to the network admin at a place I worked at about 10 years ago). It had a program on it that would put a window up that would ask you if you wanted to uninstall windows and all it components. Whether you pushed the yes or no button it would pop another window up that said uninstalling windows while scrolling through a fake list of files. Halarity ensued. I nearly got fired..lol.
I've written a script like this before! but for added effect, i moved all of the contents of the Desktop and stored them somewhere else on the drive.

MaxIBoy
July 3rd, 2009, 03:02 AM
let them run windows. That'll get 'em good.
+1

philcamlin
July 3rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
+1

+2:popcorn:

doorknob60
July 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Also here's a site I found back in Windows 95 days (which to me was like 2002 lol, but still) that might be of interest :D http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/entertainment/

Gizenshya
July 3rd, 2009, 03:49 AM
I took some free time one day to turn a friend's shortcuts into a little something special...

I backed up the originals, of course.

OK, what I did was added a shortcut to shutdown the computer in 30 seconds, with a message :) I changed the message for each icon, knowing he would only be able to pick one :(

Anyway, the lucky icon he choose was Solitaire, which gave him the message "... nobody else wants to play with you, why would I?" :D then it starts the shutdown timer, and there isn't anything you can do to stop it.. well, there is a way, but not for the layman.

The timing was perfect, because he didn't want to watch the movie his gf was watching, so he said.. screw this, I'm gonna play some solitaire :p

then he added a windows password... just in case... and then the next day I added a boot password :D ahh, the memories!

but I wouldn't recommend doing that... much less any of the far more severe things in this thread. If they're a close friend, yeah... but school/gov property? expect some jail time. That is no joke.

lisati
July 3rd, 2009, 03:52 AM
Well I didn't do this prank but I ended up beoing the one to fix it. :) Someone at my school changed the homepage to www.smouch.net/lol/ and no one knew what was wrong with it. It was hilarious, everyone thought it was a virus, even the teacher! So then I got my timing rite to open the tools menu in IE and changed the homepage back to default. My teacher was like lolwut?

EDIT: DO NOT click that link unless you want to force quit firefox. Or find out what it is if you don't know. And then force quit firefox :lolflag:

sudo rm -f www.smouch.net/lol/

Speaking of pranks, I once came across an MS-DOS program that mimicked the A:> prompt, and, no matter what you typed in, worked its way through a list of insults. At one point I even made a version of it which responded to the CD command and a couple of other "minor" ones, and which altered the prompt according to the current drive and directory. (Sorry, asm source and executable long lost, but it shouldn't be too hard to recreate something similar)

Another prank I've seen is a Windows program that inverts the screen and waits for a key to be pressed.

Superkoop
July 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Some other things that are fun to do:

On Windows rotating the screen upside down or sideways is fun to do with younger people.

Changing the auto-correct options in the word processor is fun to do...

Put tape over the laser on the mouse.

Plug in an extra USB mouse, and then hide it so that you can move the pointer on their screen. . .

Gizenshya
July 3rd, 2009, 04:14 AM
ohh, one thing I like to do with instant messaging programs is to change each letter and number to some symbol. So they start to type, and it's all smiley faces or something :)

djheadley
July 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
This one's pretty old (pre 1990) but you should have seen the looks on the faces of the people I pulled it on.

A floppy in drive A, a bat file and a couple of sound files -- when run (usually on boot) --
"DOS has found that your A: drive is full of water, please while it is drained
(sound of water draining from sink, including "slurp")
"Spinning to dry the drive"
(sound of spinning washing machine)
"Your a: drive is now ready to use"

Corny but effective, I just had to remember to retrieve the floppy before the victim found it.

sdlynx
July 3rd, 2009, 06:05 AM
This one's pretty old (pre 1990) but you should have seen the looks on the faces of the people I pulled it on.

A floppy in drive A, a bat file and a couple of sound files -- when run (usually on boot) --

Corny but effective, I just had to remember to retrieve the floppy before the victim found it.

haha seems like this could be ported to a CD version

Blacklightbulb
July 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
On the macs at my school just go up to someone's computer and hold shift and press F11 as many times as you can, it's hilarious. It makes the windows slowly go back and forth across the screen for a long time (depends on how many times you press it), and you can't stop it either.

Also you can make a batch file called whateveryouwant.bat in C:\ (or wherever) and put this in the batch file

start C:\whateveryouwant.batIt opens hundreds of windows of blank batch files until the computer freezes. On 9x it usually bluescreens too :-P

@echo off
echo This is a virus!
start C:\whateveryouwant.batYou can replace "This is a virus!" with something more creative and funny of course. Sometimes it gets so locked up that it doesn't show what you put after echo, but it's still funny. It's very hard/impossible to close all the windows without hard rebooting the computer. I'll get a picture in Virtualbox.

THe error messages start popping up after a while, and it's still trying to open more in the background, and if you close the error message more command prompts and more error messages start popping up XD In the picture there's only 72 command prompts open but right now I have 283 lol and everything's unresponsive pretty much. On more powerful computers repeat the C:\whateveryouwant.bat more times because on newer computers it doesn't work quite as well. I'll tell you it works amazingly well on Windows 98 though.

Then just put the batch file in startup or replace a shortcut to Word or IE or whatever with it and have fun. Also if you can find old DOS versions of quick basic you can make little DOS programs that send notes through your PC speaker :D I've made songs with quick basic before lol.

A long time ago what I had done in a lab over here and this was before windows 3.1 ever came out. Most of the labs that I was in were mainly the good old DOS varients like DOS 4,5, or DOS 6.2. I had found this little application (Better word for that I should say Program.) that was a stay to resident memory kind of a prank. Whenever the person would tpye something at the command line. It would pop up with text based replys like saying tha they were tickling the keyboard and made a laugh. Or saying sorry that they could not do that. All piped at the same time through the system speakers. (Meaning the internal speaker from the motherboard or the one that faced the front case chassis.) It was funny as hell I was almost ready to pee in my pants about it. And she was nearly ready to cry and her associate was about ready to blow a fuse.

Compucore

Yeah pretty much you can even the most calm/bland crazy just by typing a simple short script

Let them run windows. That'll get 'em good.

+4 Well they don't know what they are missing yet. Anyway a windows PC of a normal user turns out a b***h after 4 months or so of the last format. Windows is the punishment for those arrogant enough to say LINUX is inferior before trying it out. Let them Burn!!!!!:lolflag:

ROLF, even reading it brought me to tears. I'd imagine someone grabbing a mop to clean the tower of water.:lolflag:

That's a hilarious idea! :guitar:

Format all the machines to have NetBSD or HURD on them, then use one of the dozens of GTK or Qt themes/transformation packs to make it look like the default system. The resulting confusion between the students and computer technicians will be too much.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

The techs around here won't recognize anything other than Windows. At least the admin knows whats UBUNTU but not what is NetBSD and surely not HURT LOL. :twisted: IDK though I'd jeopardize my friendship with him and all the power over the lab will be lost..

Delever
July 3rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Swapping mouse buttons of course.

t0p
July 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Change the keyboard layout to dvorak

Now that could be amusing. There are lots of people who don't know there are alternate keyboard layouts, so chances are your victim would have no idea what was going on.

Of course, the biggest problem with any computer lab prank is the lab technician. Assuming he actually knows anything about computers. Which is certainly not a given. Anyway, it's best to let the tech in on the joke so he doesn't happen along and "fix" the "problem". Unless the tech is the intended victim...

3rdalbum
July 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
If you have administrator access, install the "beep" command and put this script into the /etc/rc.local file :-)

while true; do sleep $(($RANDOM/1000)) && beep -f 2000 -l $(($RANDOM/100)) ; done

4th guy
July 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM

We could do this with autoplay and Java :p

beercz
July 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1019169&postcount=43

beercz
July 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Another one, although not exactly a prank, but related and funny:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1019203&postcount=45

btw I've posted this link several times on the forums, so my apologies if you have seen it before.

init1
July 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I made a program that turns up the volume on Windows and starts playing Rick Astley in the background.

ultimatebuster
July 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Take a screenshot of the desktop and then terminate explorer.exe

TheLions
July 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM

btw I've posted this link several times on the forums, so my apologies if you have seen it before.

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Blacklightbulb
July 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1019169&postcount=43

:lolflag: Hilarious. I'd immagine the faces of your victims!:lolflag:

sanderella
July 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
You guys are so naughty....[-X

:lolflag:

ZarathustraDK
July 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Long time ago I had this program called "Desktop Pythonizer", which was some kind of Monty Python Desktop theming thingy.

Anyway, you could set it to randomly play a large selection of fart-sounds whenever a key was hit (or with with random intervals of key-pressing).
That was for Windows 3.1 though.

RATM_Owns
July 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM

start C:\whateveryouwant.batIt opens hundreds of windows of blank batch files until the computer freezes. On 9x it usually bluescreens too :-P

@echo off
echo This is a virus!
start C:\whateveryouwant.batYou can replace "This is a virus!" with something more creative and funny of course. Sometimes it gets so locked up that it doesn't show what you put after echo, but it's still funny. It's very hard/impossible to close all the windows without hard rebooting the computer. I'll get a picture in Virtualbox.

Easier way:

@echo off
:t
start
goto t

lisati
July 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Easier way:

@echo off
:t
start
goto t

Good suggestion: but I might have coffee instead of tea.

Gizenshya
July 3rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
ahh, you guys reminded my of an audio-related prank I did a couple years back

I set the opening sound in windows on a South Korean friend's laptop to the North Korean National Anthem just before he packed it in his suitcase. He said he couldn't wait to show his family his new laptop :p

:D

rocketflame
July 4th, 2009, 12:12 AM
good pranks...

well you said you are admin so...

get pstools from MS
they are networking tools that can do pretty much anything on other networked computers.
then open a bunch of notepads, calculators, crash explorer.exe, shutdown his computer, net send stuff...

use your imagination. pstools is pretty powerfull.

Didnt i learn a lot in my computers class? :)

Zelandeth
July 4th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Hehe, never really was one much for playing pranks back in my school days - but had to fix enough of them. I was still mainly a Win 3.1 and Amiga user at the time, think XP had launched before I finally gave up on those two...though I do have a machine with 3.1 on which is used now and then for word processing.

One which caused me the most concern was a very convincing little applet which hid looking like a standard Windows 95 folder - but opened a program which looked like the disk formatter - even reporting the size of C: correctly - of course, no matter what you did proceeded to send it off claiming for format the drive. That was thrown at me the second or third time I'd ever used 95 (though knew 3.1 inside out), and had me rather worried!

The other favourite trick which people had, until the admins FINALLY figured out how to limit access to system settings was to set ALL of the screen colours to white on white. If you know where things are - that's an easy one to fix. Unless the prankster who set it up has also changed the cursor pointer to a 1 pixel white dot and set the speed and acceleration to maximum as well, and also has changed the keyboard layout! Technically complex? No. In a library or IT lab however, it can create huge amounts of chaos - especially when you come in to find that all 20 machines have been hit!

The only one I can remember I actually instigated was a shutdown script attached to an icon I positioned in the middle of the desktop of a machine simply titled "Click me!" - purely to see how many people in a 30 minute lunchbreak would click it! Quite a lot was the answer.

At work, I've fallen prey to my co-workers a couple of times by having a programmable keyboard - thank goodness it's easy to reset however. ...Now I know that anyway! Though I did make it clear to my manager (who I know full well was the culpret!) that if he did it again, that I would probably thwack him over the head with said keyboard - and if you know what a Northgate Omnikey Ultra is - you'll know that would hurt rather a lot. ...He hasn't done it since! I should point out that was all in the best of fun - there was no real threat involved! Though having that keyboard to work with is worth the risk of getting the odd keys switched around.

credobyte
July 4th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Change IE shortcut path to : SHUTDOWN -s -t 01 :-\"

Eviltechie
July 4th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Go into a mac store, and set a cron job to open safari to the rick astley video on every computer, at the same time. Then walk out of the store, wait a few minutes, and hilarity ensues.

bitf
July 4th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Going into computer stores and setting the IE homepage to badvista.org

mynameinc
July 4th, 2009, 05:38 AM
1. (I have done and have been a victim of) In high school, on the login screens (Windows & Macs) we would leave a weighted object on the spacebar overnight. Very time consuming for the person who had to use the computer next to fix.

2. (I have seen done, but not done myself) Making a .bat file with the code SHUTDOWN -s -t 01; moving said file to the Startup folder.

3. (I have seen done, but not done myself) Making said .bat file executed by clicking on the IE icon.

4. (I have done) Go to M$ Paint, fill the screen with black, make it full screen (Ctrl+F I believe), then unplug the keyboard and mouse just enough so that they don't appear unpluged at first sight, but the computer won't respond to stimuli from them.

5. (I have done) #4, without unplugging the input devices. Surprisingly hilarious.

6. (I have done) In high school, when the entire class had a problem at once, I pretended I also had said problem, then shouted "Alt+F4 fixed it on my computer". In most cases, this prank only works once.

7. (I have done) Rotate the screen.

That's all I remember (at the moment).

BlazeFire247
July 4th, 2009, 05:41 AM
While no-one's looking and there's no teacher, get Microsoft Sam to talk when it's really quiet; unless you dont have speakers. We did that at school, only it wasn't much of a prank...

jrusso2
July 4th, 2009, 05:55 AM
This was before most of your time but we would wait until someone left the room and shuffle their programs punch cards.

yabbadabbadont
July 4th, 2009, 06:06 AM
This was before most of your time but we would wait until someone left the room and shuffle their programs punch cards.

That would have been a lynching offense... especially if they were stupid and didn't add sequence numbers when they punched their deck. Although, if you diagonally striped your deck with a fine tip marker, you could get pretty close to sorted fairly quickly.

Giant Speck
July 4th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Bash the computers into millions of little pieces with a hammer.

I mean... uh... :-\"

lsemmens
July 4th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Back in the days of DOS/windoze 3.1 I would play "get into the computer" with my kidz. Most of the time they'd work their way around it until I set the cursor to Black on Black, a simple <Ctrl> C would fixt it, but they never worked it out.

When my eldest started high school, the computer teacher said "teach me everything that you know and you've passed". Problem was, whenever a prank was played, son got the blame. He did hack into the network and sent a message across to one of the girls on the other side of the lab: "Warning, the radiation shield on your monitor has failed, get back!" Squeals and pandemonium followed.

lisati
July 4th, 2009, 07:01 AM

One place I worked for many years ago occasionally ran jobs for schools where students submitted their programming exercises on "portapunch" cards, which were a joke gone bad. This variant of punched cards had a nasty habit of jamming in the card reader at inopportune moments, often making the cards unreadable or be misread - which, of course, one lot promptly did one day when I decided to help the operators out by running one lot through. Quick escape back to my desk before too many questions were asked what I was up to..... (I had a reason to be in the computer room, can't remember what, but it was probably related to some update to the OS)

The Real Dave
July 4th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Lol you cracked me up. Perhaps I try it but I don't know how to handle viruses yet. Better back up first.:lolflag:

A nicer, less letal prank is to make a new shortcut on the desktop (right click, new, shortcut) and enter

shutdown -s -t 15 -c "Windows has encountered a fatal system error. To prevent data loss, Windows is now formatting C:\. System will then reboot"

Name it Internet Explorer, and click finish. Right click on it, go to properties. Click change icon, browse and go to

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.

Apply the internet explorer icon, and watch as everytime he clicks the internet explorer icon, Windows formats C:\ and reboots. Of course, all its doing is shutting down :lolflag:

If you've got time, change all of his desktop icons to that shortcut :D

In my school, most of the computers use Intel Integrated graphics. This includes a nice little shortcut (Ctrl + Alt + Up/Down) which flips the screen 180 degrees. Quick to do, and leaves students (and one of my IT teachers) baffled. :D

jflaker
July 4th, 2009, 06:34 PM
If the monitor or video driver supports it, invert the screen or even turn it 45 or 270 degrees (sideways)

in Control panel, find the mouse settings......sometimes there is a tracking configuration which allows you to make sure that the mouse is tracking in a straight line and requires you to push the mouse up to calibrate the mouse movements.......however, if you move the mouse straight down, all mouse movements will be reversed (right is left, left is right, down is up, up is down)..

taking a snap of the desktop, then setting that snapshot of the desktop as wall paper, then hiding his icons will drive him nuts....looks like his icons, but they are just pictures

Find a very annoying sound theme and set the speakers up all the way....

Make him a restricted user......creates all sorts of errors and prevents him from running most anything.

hessiess
July 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
set http://crashie.com/ as the home page in IE.

CharmyBee
July 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Not exactly a prank, but when the teacher tells everyone to log into the wrong site for the white house.... ](*,):lolflag:

sdlynx
July 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Take a screenshot of the desktop and then terminate explorer.exe

hahaha this is especially great on those restricted computers where you can't restart explorer.exe because the task manager is locked XD

cmat
July 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I used to do net send commands.

net send * hello :)

I found a way to log out of my PC while staying online so they couldn't trace who did it.

sdlynx
July 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM
6. (I have done) In high school, when the entire class had a problem at once, I pretended I also had said problem, then shouted "Alt+F4 fixed it on my computer". In most cases, this prank only works once.

I'll need to try this XD

diablo75
July 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'll be implicating myself with this but it's been a very long time and the victim is cool with me...

Back in high school (about 8 or 10 years ago) I discovered that program called Back Orifice by the cult dead cow devs. You send a server exe to them and tell them it's solitaire or something, they run it, it installs a hidden service that even the task manager wouldn't show and deletes the original install file. Then you use a client to access their computer via IP.

With this server program, you could do a lot of malicious things if you wanted to by remote, or just funny things. Eject the CD-ROM, play sound effects, pop-up custom messages with an OK box, etc. (I remember hearing about some other software that was similar that would even allow you to disable specific keys on the keyboard; make them think it was broken).

I got a buddy of mine to get this on his computer but never told him what it was. Then a few days later, once a day everyday, I would lock his computer up completely while he was in the middle of doing something like writing an email. I can still remember hearing him say "OhhHHhhh Noooo" in this really deep voice when I did it once. My immaturity was peaking with my laughter.

Unfortunately, the cat got out of the bag and a few other people had heard about the software and started getting carried away with it. I didn't want to be fingered for anything serious someone else might try so I went out of my way to tell the schools admin about it, how it worked, and how to remove it. They thanked me.

Blacklightbulb
July 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I'll be implicating myself with this but it's been a very long time and the victim is cool with me...

Back in high school (about 8 or 10 years ago) I discovered that program called Back Orifice by the cult dead cow devs. You send a server exe to them and tell them it's solitaire or something, they run it, it installs a hidden service that even the task manager wouldn't show and deletes the original install file. Then you use a client to access their computer via IP.

With this server program, you could do a lot of malicious things if you wanted to by remote, or just funny things. Eject the CD-ROM, play sound effects, pop-up custom messages with an OK box, etc. (I remember hearing about some other software that was similar that would even allow you to disable specific keys on the keyboard; make them think it was broken).

I got a buddy of mine to get this on his computer but never told him what it was. Then a few days later, once a day everyday, I would lock his computer up completely while he was in the middle of doing something like writing an email. I can still remember hearing him say "OhhHHhhh Noooo" in this really deep voice when I did it once. My immaturity was peaking with my laughter.

Unfortunately, the cat got out of the bag and a few other people had heard about the software and started getting carried away with it. I didn't want to be fingered for anything serious someone else might try so I went out of my way to tell the schools admin about it, how it worked, and how to remove it. They thanked me.

Well props for you! Remote controlling a pc is much easier with XP :lolflag:

ToFue
July 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
not in collage, but in a store that my dad took me all the time i used to make echo messages in autoexec with edit that would imitate a serious error after a little bit of minor ascii art.. (just using a words lettering to make the word larger on screen), change the prompt, colors, pause and cls a few times in between, the echo the count down for 'total system format' initiation, and end with the '*****WARNING!!! The system has become unstable and is unable to boot.*******' stuff... (wow I use a lot of commas.. :p )

not extravagant, but it got me "banned" from using the boxes their, and they started pw-ing using the store number.. then store# and city.. then city & store#.. then my dad stopped taking me... The store's admin was amused if anything.