PDA

View Full Version : want to try some more linux distro's

insanity99
July 2nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
i hear live CD's are a good way to do this. i just want to try some out. i have only ever tried ubuntu(8.10 and 9.04) anyone suggest any good ones more me?

DeMus
July 2nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
i hear live CD's are a good way to do this. i just want to try some out. i have only ever tried ubuntu(8.10 and 9.04) anyone suggest any good ones more me?

Try the new Fedora 11 and Opensuse is a nice one to, just as Mandriva 2009.

abhi_69
July 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
u can also try Linux mint...it based on ubuntu but, i think much easier than ubuntu for newbie.
u can also try centOS, gOS, ArcLinux etc. if u want to try out something smaller but faster, u can choose Slax or puppy linux. both r small linux distro which can even run from a USB stick.
hope u will always be with linux.....

linux_lover69
July 2nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Knoppix is kinda nice.

insanity99
July 2nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
thanks guys, i am not leaving ubuntu. just experienceing more distros :D

hibliss
July 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Try the new Fedora 11 and Opensuse is a nice one to, just as Mandriva 2009.

All good recommendations. I like OpenSUSE, but when it asks which desktop environment you want, switch it up and install KDE.

donkyhotay
July 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
thanks guys, i am not leaving ubuntu. just experienceing more distros :D

Linux is about choice, not every distro is right for every person, thats why hundreds of different distros can not only survive but thrive together. Linux distro's are more similar then they are different and improvements to one usually spread to others very quickly. Use whatever you prefer (whether thats ubuntu or something else) as it will help improve my personal choice in distro (ubuntu of course).

oldos2er
July 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Sidux, Vector Linux.

earthpigg
July 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM

you could always work your way down distrowatch.com's list of the highest 'page hit rankings' to get a feel for what's popular.

SushiR
July 2nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Arch Linux - give it a try

sdlynx
July 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
you can also try installing different GUIs aside from GNOME like KDE and XFCE if you want a different looking desktop

lindsay7
July 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
I run Ubuntu on four computers and I have tried a bunch of distros

mint
pclinux
sabayon
Puppy
slax
Opensuse
Mandriva 2009
and others

The only distros that have worked across the board on all of my machines are Ubuntu and Puppy. All the others were hit and miss on working. Mostly video cards, wireless, or printer problems with the live cd versions. So give them a try. After all the experiments I have found Ubuntu and Puppy to be the best bets on getting a good installation on various combinations of hardware.

ju2wheels
July 2nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Just an fyi since it wasnt mentioned, you can run the live cd/dvd of distros in VirtualBox and avoid the need to have to burn the iso and reboot your machine to try each one.

insanity99
July 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
sounds easier...whats VirtalBox?
EDIT: found it on the synaptic, not sure how it works just yet but this should save me a few disks

ericab
July 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
linux mint
sidux
debian squeze
arch

earthpigg
July 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
sounds easier...whats VirtalBox?
EDIT: found it on the synaptic, not sure how it works just yet but this should save me a few disks

make a 'virtual drive' of about 10-15gb, allocate some RAM, mount the distro's ISO file, hit 'start', and install/play around with different distros from within ubuntu.

insanity99
July 3rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
nice, and this 'virtual drive' won't really take away my disk space?

sdowney717
July 3rd, 2009, 12:51 AM
try each one of these

1. KANOTIX
2. Knoppix 5.0.1 (CD)
3. Quantian
4. Xplora
5. Gentoo
6. Dreamlinux
7. Musix
8. ZenWalk
9. Puppy Linux
10. SabayonLinux
11. Kinerret
12. SimplyMepis
13. OpenSUSE
14. PCLinuxOS
15. Fedora
16. SymphonyOS
17. Scientific Linux
18. Binki
19. Boston University Linux

papenpj
July 3rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
not every distro is right for every person, thats why hundreds of different distros can not only survive but thrive together.

Definitely agree with that, I tried Slackware and hated it. But I have puppy on my USB and love it especially when I need to takeover a computer I don't have a password to access to browse the internet or recovery files.

Chronon
July 3rd, 2009, 01:00 AM

Yes, the virtual drive takes up space on your HD, but it doesn't change your real drive's partition structure, format, etc. For example, I have XP installed on an NTFS virtual disk and FreeDOS installed to a FAT virtual disk, both of which are simply files on a real ext3 partition.

(I also have Fedora 10 installed on a virtual disk.)

papenpj
July 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM

It will but it won't if that makes sense. Im not sure with virtual box. I used virtual pc a few times in windows and memory was dynamically allocated as you need it. But in Virtual PC you could select fixed which means that spaced would instantly be unavailable. But you can easily delete it and recover the space.

Khrimzunn
July 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
I'm surprised that nobody posted eLive.
I'd have at it if I were you, it looks amazing, my only issue is that it's not very well supported.

RiceMonster
July 3rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
Try Fedora 11. It's really nice.

kk0sse54
July 3rd, 2009, 01:31 AM

distrowatch.com (distrowatch.com)

insanity99
July 3rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
thanks for all the replies guys, i will be sure to check all off them out :D

izizzle
July 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
For something real exotic, try Elive. It uses the E17 WM.

EDIT: Khrimzunn beat me to it.

Twitch6000
July 3rd, 2009, 02:41 AM
Fedora 11 and Mandriva 2009.1 are hot and smoking.

So I suggest both of those =].

hibliss
July 3rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
The version of VirtualBox in the repos is the OSE (Open Source Edition). The Non-Free version is much better.

doorknob60
July 3rd, 2009, 03:42 AM
Try Arch (or Chakra which is easier to set up for newbies and has a Live CD)