PDA

View Full Version : Help with UNR & XP

Impetuous
July 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to Linux (and dual booting), so I'm pretty much stumped as to what I'm supposed to do.

First off, some background info - I'm using a Lenovo S10 netbook with Windows XP loaded. I decided to finally make the jump to a Linux distro. So off I went with UNR, and everything was an-okay for a few days.

However, on booting up one fine day, the desktop "froze" - all my icons on the desktop disappeared, and I couldn't drag-select anything at all. It was as though the desktop was a non functioning component. To make matters worse, my main Panel bar keeps switching to the top (I only utilized one); despite bringing it to the bottom and filling it with a host of other icons, it will go back to the top when I reload Ubuntu.

Now, this is where I'm stuck - I have decided to reinstall UNR, but I need to be certain of the steps I'm about to undertake.

First, I'll use the Disk Management tool to reformat the Linux partitions, which will also remove Grub, right?

As I don't have a CD-rom drive on my netbook, if I am to bootup the OS and reinstall it from the USB drive, UNR will simply be installed into a new partition, and Grub will then be restored?

I would appreciate any advice given. Thanks a huge bunch in advance! :)

Impetuous
July 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hi guys, any advice on my current dilemma?

I'm thinking of simply formatting/deleting the Linux partition and then installing UNR from the USB boot. Would that be alright?

Thanks, once again. :)