PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Did I goof up?

ishmael2k
July 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Ok I wanted the latest Firefox so did a search here and found out that I should go through Synaptic to get it. I did so ( I think) but it still did not show when I checked Firefox's version.

So I went to the Firefox site and D/L'ed the program, extracted it and it runs fine. Kept all my favorites and preferences.

But where should it actually be extracted to? Not knowing where I extracted it in my D/L folder and then had to re-direct the link to it.

I am assuming that I still have 3.011 installed as this was not an upgrade. (Plus until I re-directed the link 3.011 still opened up.)

Can someone show me the pathway to enlightenment? :p

See last post for partial solution and new issue

linux_lover69
July 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
What version are you trying to install, if you installed the newest version, which is 3.5 I think, through the synaptic package manager I found it was called shiretoko web browser in the menu.

ishmael2k
July 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Trying to get 3.5 installed correctly. It is working but I have a feeling it is not "installed" in the right place. Right now it is in a sub-folder of my main D/Ld's folder.

Since I am stil working out Ubuntus' filing system I don't know where it should have been extracted to.

I do not see any "shiretoko web browser " in my Synaptic Package Manager.

It does show the following for FF 3.5:
firefox 3.5
firefox 3.5 branding
firefox 3.5 dbg
firefox 3.5 dev
firefox 3.5 gnome support

of which the underlined ones are installed.

I am still researching it online and if I come up with an answer I'll post it here right away.

R

linux_lover69
July 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Trying to get 3.5 installed correctly. It is working but I have a feeling it is not "installed" in the right place. Right now it is in a sub-folder of my main D/Ld's folder.

Since I am stil working out Ubuntus' filing system I don't know where it should have been extracted to.

I do not see any "shiretoko web browser " in my Synaptic Package Manager.

It does show the following for FF 3.5:
firefox 3.5
firefox 3.5 branding
firefox 3.5 dbg
firefox 3.5 dev
firefox 3.5 gnome support

of which the underlined ones are installed.

I am still researching it online and if I come up with an answer I'll post it here right away.

R

Sorry I mean after you install it go into Applications/internet then shiretoko,

ishmael2k
July 3rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
Sorry I mean after you install it go into Applications/internet then shiretoko,

Ok I see, I did have that version installed. Since it is the beta version and I am not ready to go that route yet I un-installed it. I am still able to run 3.5 from the Mozilla D/L plus I have 3.011 that shows up in Apps. Getting late and I just got home from a job so I am going to let it ride for the night.

A couple of things I noticed though: 1 The Mozilla version has the check for updates button in the help drop down and it does not show up under Apps...

ishmael2k
July 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
I was going to let it go but I hate not getting something right.

Anyway I did some more digging and found this (http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/193/installing-firefox-3-5-in-ubuntu-the-easy-way) in my search.

Followed the easy directions and bam I am running 3.5, it is listed under Apps, and it checks for updates automatically.

ububtuzilla works great!

But now I have the font problem. About 50% of the fonts are not showing black, most of the time they are a dark blue, although it depends on the site.

I tried the fixes in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1128929) (With the exception of editing the font config file. I can't seem to get to it via terminal, I know it is a command issue from my end. Still looking for the correct command.) but no luck. Any suggestions?

R

ishmael2k
July 4th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Up

linux_lover69
July 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Just wondering does going into edit/preferences/content then clicking on the colors and changing them to what you want work? I'm not sure if it'll work but you might as well see if it works.

ishmael2k
July 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Just wondering does going into edit/preferences/content then clicking on the colors and changing them to what you want work? I'm not sure if it'll work but you might as well see if it works.

Thanks for the reply.

Tried that, no luck.