PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update on 02/07/09 broke firefox.

RobOrr
July 2nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
After seeing an important update pop up today, I updated my computer. The only update I noticed was a kernel update. Upon completion, firefox is borked. All bookmarks are gone (history still remains), I cannot create new bookmarks and also cannot log in to any website that requires passwords, as firefox doesn't seem to want to send my auth details.

This is amateur stuff, you don't release an update that negatively affects a program that comes pre-installed! If it was a little unknown browser or program I wouldn't mind, I wouldn't expect the programmers who work hard for ubuntu to test every program out there, but Firefox? on Intrepid on a system that's been working beautifully for ages (once ndiswrapper was installed...). This is genuinely one of the problems that makes me never want to remove windows - If I only had Ubuntu on here, I would be completely unable to seek help on this forum due to the inability to sign in anywhere that my ubuntu firefox has now.

Booting into a different kernel (still got .11 installed) does not help at all, the exact same problem occurs. If anyone knows about a particular update that could have caused this, or knows a straightforward way to rollback the entire update (as I said, I don't know all of the updates that were installed, else I could go into synaptic and roll them back individually) it would be great if you could let me know. I'll be running windows until this is fixed... time to mess with stupid BSODs again.

archeryguru2000
July 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hello RobOrr, I once had a similar problem. Maybe this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1126547) can help. Let me know if this is of any assistance.

~~archery~~

RobOrr
July 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
This didn't fix it, HOWEVER creating a new profile and running that is perfectly fine, so I guess something is wrong with my default profile for firefox. When I'm feeling brave I'll delete it and make a new default (probably by copying the profile that now works.

Thanks a lot for the massive steer in the right direction ;)

(P.S. to anyone who has this issue, firefox does backup bookmarks. They're in /home/USER/.mozilla/firefox/"some crazy alphanumeric"/bookmarkbackups. )