PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOO! I'm an Ubuntu Guru now

machiner
January 21st, 2005, 04:16 PM
Which of course makes me a little nervous. If I had a nickle for every aspect of linux or Ubuntu (pick a distro) that I was unaware of, or lousy at

I'd be a pretty rich man. Monetarily of course, I'm already rich.

So go ahead - ask me anything. I'm a guru now - =D>

(sheesh)

nocturn
January 21st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Which of course makes me a little nervous. If I had a nickle for every aspect of linux or Ubuntu (pick a distro) that I was unaware of, or lousy at

I'd be a pretty rich man. Monetarily of course, I'm already rich.

So go ahead - ask me anything. I'm a guru now - =D>

(sheesh)

What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything? ;-)

ralph_ubuntu
January 21st, 2005, 04:26 PM

nocturn
January 21st, 2005, 04:27 PM

Another Douglas Adams fan, cool.

Lovechild
January 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM
congrats, come to the afterparty, drinks are on machiner

machiner
January 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM
One principle tenet of the Bible (please - no flames) is that it's important to "honor no man"

Or something. I'm no Biblical scholar, or actually much of a religious fella at all, but...

this can be applied to a great mystery of the universe...well, our universe.

In the honoring of men we end up honoring a thing that ususlly has no merit within, because of, or inherent to: human.

For example, I belong to no groups...at all. Groups have charters that end up to serve a purpose that is usually contrary to MAN.

As well, in the honoring of man we tend to do silly things like put $$$ over what's really important:
food
water
shelter...and the most important of all:

LOVE. Just ask my kids, they'll tell you.

Another point to make is that I am beginning to think that the bastards in power might know something that regular folk like you and I are not privvy to (we can talk about the cult that is religion and why it was initially created all day...)

I think they might know that there are really no repurcussions in the hereafter that we face because of our actions alive on Earth (Gaia).

For example - we still kill each other and pollute and steal and lie all day. If there were a real and tangible result (punishment) for this we wouldn't do it, Humans are not very brave at their core - we really are sheep (see above parenthetical religious discussion ). So, maybe in the honoring of man there are no repurcussions.

In thinking out loud and having witnessed what I have, I must counter my own argument.

To allow ourselves an answer to one of our great questions (even if it is silly) about our meaning of life or role in the universe, I believe it's important to step outside ourselves first.

To look at what it is that IS HUMAN and take it from there. Honoring NO MAN is a first step, I believe, and it can lead to a terrific sel-fulfillment.

I am happier being dirt poor (monetarily) than any peer I know, friend or foe, colleague or competitor, than anyone I know that honors MAN...and seeks riches or fame or power. I used to have money - and associate with some rather "rich" folk. Poor bastards.

Power comes to those of us that don't want it. Power is NOT - I am in charge. Power is: I know what and who I am.

I realize that your questions were rhetorical and I read like a pompous fool -- but what the hey -

rock on....be nice to your kids...and stop killing yourself for a dollar.

You can't be kissed by a dollar - and you might just end up loosing yourself chasing it.

Did I just take myself too seriously? Muuu hahah ahhah ashaio;sahfodvndafovhjreo

If so, see ralph_ubuntu's post: 42. He and Mr. Adams might be onto something there.

Drinks are on Machiner. Jim Beam and Guiness for the house!

nocturn
January 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Machiner: it is a good answer actually...

az
January 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM
My root password was once "slartibartfast".

jeremy
January 21st, 2005, 06:10 PM
My root password was once "slartibartfast".
And mine was once fartislartbast, seriously.

oddabe19
January 21st, 2005, 06:13 PM
you punk, you beat me to it

ralph_ubuntu
January 21st, 2005, 06:47 PM
you punk, you beat me to it
:-D

poofyhairguy
January 21st, 2005, 09:07 PM

*sound of wind rushing over my poofyhair*

az
January 21st, 2005, 09:23 PM
"*sound of wind rushing over my poofyhair"

You will have to ask the mice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

poofyhairguy
January 22nd, 2005, 02:32 AM
"*sound of wind rushing over my poofyhair"

You will have to ask the mice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

Thanks.

Buffalo Soldier
January 23rd, 2005, 04:43 PM

To live life unfettered. Beholden to no one.

TravisNewman
January 24th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Wow, I didn't think THAT many people had read that book.

Anyway, never had THHGTTG related passwords, but my DOS prompt back in the day was:

DON'T PANIC! C:\>
I don't even remember how to customize it now.